spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

buonadomenic

join:2000-11-13
Honolulu, HI

5260 Modem - flashing green DSL light???

posted this in the SBC formum but was refered to here.

I have SBC/Yahoo DSL with the 5100B Modem and it works great. However, a friend of mine gave me his old Efficiant 5260 Modem that was in service with Earthlink DSL(canceled about 2 weeks ago) to see if it works with SBC. When I hook up the Modem with SBC all I get is a green flashing green DSL status light and no connection. I had it connected all night but still the same result.

I thought DSL modems are interchangeable but I guess not?? The Modem seems to be old with the Firmware 2.0.1 April 2000. I Telnet into the Modem to get this info. Also on the bottom of the Modem it says part number 060-5660-003

Is this modem ready to throw into the trash? Would have been nice for a spare. Also interested in converting this into a 5660 but could not find the 5660 2.1.0 Firmware. Any help welcome

thanks
BD

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
Some are, some aren't and some need to be configured for different ISPs.

Reread the FAQ as the file named "upgrade.img" is still available per the FAQ location mentioned or you have the option to hex edit the latest 2.3.0(7) firmware directly and that simplifies the flash process by only needing the latest Firmware. All of this is covered in the FAQ.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

buonadomenic

Honolulu, HI

1 edit
I read through the FAQ again but all the links to the firmware are dead. The only firmware I found is from the Efficient website 2.3.0(2).exe. I also found a working link to 2.3.0(7) Frimware but it appears that the files are the same.

I downloaded a hex editor but have no clue on what to do. Where do I find those lines 0xe0 and the check sum at 0xfc.
If someone can point me into the right direction I think I might be able to figure it out.

Or if anybody has the correct edited firmware to flash please share.
BuonaDomenica90210@yahoo.com - thank you.

BD

Completely Amazing

@216.127.x.x
It's amazing that so many people don't know how to use the web these days. Did you Google for "upgrade.img", did you try the web archive and search for saved pages from the website being archived since i-hacked is gone now?

What's this file?

»web.archive.org/web/200201062136···rade.img

I wonder???

buonadomenic

Honolulu, HI

Re: 5260 > 5660

thank you for the link. Please don't assume that all people are experts in web resarch.

I donwloaded the file but I can't load it into the 5260.

I have setup Serv-U FTP with a 10.0.0.2 IP and the home directory is c:\5660 - when I try to load the firmware I get the following error.

Command-> firmware
Server IP: 10.0.0.2
User Name: xyz
Password: ***
Filename: upgrade.img
File could not be downloaded
Command->

It seems that I have setup the server correctly since when I try to load the new 5660.img directly without any hex editing I get the following:
Error: image platform [0x3] expecting [0x5]
File could not be downloaded.

so this tells me that I have setup the server correctly?

Still no clue on how to hex edit the new firmware as I can't find the entries 0xe0 and the check sum at 0xfc.

thanks
BD

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

2 edits
said by buonadomenic:
when I try to load the firmware I get the following error.

Command->

It seems that I have setup the server correctly since when I try to load the new 5660.img directly without any hex editing I get the following:
Error: image platform [0x3] expecting [0x5]
File could not be downloaded.

so this tells me that I have setup the server correctly?

I see the same error on both attempts and it makes me think that either you don't have Serv-U setup right or that you should rename the upgrade.img to 5660.img and try again. Both files are in the same C:\5660 folder and that is the home folder for Serv-U, correct?

Try this.... Temporarily rename 5660.img to 5660.new and then rename upgrade.img to 5660.img

Check to see how much memory you have:
»The Unofficial SpeedStream 5260 ---> 5660 FAQ »How do I check how much memory my modem has?

You must have at least 1.5 Megs free.

Make sure you are in Half Duplex mode in the 5260/5660 and the Ethernet card plus that you are directly connected to the 5260/5660.

Unplug the 5260/5660 from the phone line before starting the process again.

I fixed the links in the Forum FAQ below after finding 2 of the 5 missing Firmwares. Make sure you have 2.3.0(7) as the only unaltered Firmware and make sure you flash it as the second flash after the first flash is successful. If you have any 2.2.X Firmwares you should delete them as they are not worth keeping due to the downloads freezing bug among others that were fixed with the release of the 2.3.X Firmwares.

»Efficient Networks Forum FAQ »Is there a list of available 5660 Firmwares?

Regards,

Doctor Olds

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

3 edits
reply to Completely Amazing

Re: 5260 Modem - flashing green DSL light???

said by Completely Amazing:
the web archive and search for saved pages from the website being archived since i-hacked is gone now?

What's this file?

»web.archive.org/web/200201062136···rade.img

This file is sadly corrupted by the archive process, otherwise it's a great tip. Zipped files are usually OK, but for some reason other files get truncated at the Archive. It will not work due to missing two "00" at the very end unless you hex edit it.

To repair it, just open the file in a hex editor and add the two missing "00" (minus the quotes) at the end, save the changes and it will be correct.

To verify you fixed it, get Quick SFV (version 222 at bottom of this page »www.smr-usenet.com/software/misc.shtml) and create an SFV file for the edited file. Then open the SFV file in Notepad and it should show inside:

; 1236028 17:15.00 20XX-XX-XX upgrade.img
upgrade.img B2813581
The bold line should match if you fixed it.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

buonadomenic

Honolulu, HI
reply to buonadomenic
adding the two 00 at the end did the trick and the upgrade worked just fine. Thank you so much!!!

However, I can't get sync with SBC. I still have the modem set in Bridege mode and the DSL light just blinks yellow. I set the VC to 0/35 max as I think those are the SBC settings? Anything else I need to configure so this modem works with SBC? It worked just fine with Earthlink before it was disconnected about 2 weeks ago.

I guess I went through all this trouble of upgrading for a non-working modem?

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

Flashing yellow/green? That is a good sign and just means that it is looking for a sync signal. A bad modem will have red LEDs.

Swap the terminal pairs (either with a line swapper or inside the wall jack). The 5260/5660 is just looking for sync.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

buonadomenic

Honolulu, HI
reply to buonadomenic
still no sync and I had it connected for about 2hrs. DSL light just keeps flashing yellow/green with no change. My new 5100B sysnc in a few seconds with SBC. Connected the Modem directly to the wall outlet but no luck.

I also found the latest v.2.3.0.(7)Firmware at Web archive

»web.archive.org/web/200306181713···5660.img

but it seems to suffer the same corruption problem. I hex edited and added two "00" at the end of the file, then flashed it onto the modem. The new 2.3.0.(7) Firmware seem to work ok but still no sync with SBC.

close to giving up here

thanks
BD

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
Click for full size
If it does not sync in 5 minutes, it is not going to sync as it cannot find the signal. That is what the LEDs are telling you. "No Signal Found"

You will need to try a "line swapper" like I posted above or you will need a different telephone cable or you will need to swap the wires in the wall outlet so the DSL signal reaches the modem. Look at the 5260/5660 modem to make sure the pins are not missing or bent.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

buonadomenic

Honolulu, HI

Re: Line Swapper?

is a "Line Swapper" and a "Line1, Line2 - Line Splitter the same thing? I went to RadioShack and they did not have any "Line Swapper" only the L1/L2 Line Spliter.

I found one place on the internet who sells the "Line Swapper" for $4.95 but would like to buy it locally.

»www.excelsus-tech.com/index.cfm?···=1747012

thanks
BD

chegitz

join:2004-02-21
reply to buonadomenic

I also found the latest v.2.3.0.(7)Firmware at . . .

And now it's gone.

chegitz

reply to Completely Amazing
What's this file?

Which version is this?

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
reply to chegitz
said by chegitz:
I also found the latest v.2.3.0.(7)Firmware at . . .

And now it's gone. :(

Nah, they just don't know how to correct the link for posting at the Forum. ;)

»web.archive.org/web/200306181713···5660.img

Of course the file is corrupt as it's missing the extra "00" at the end that must be added back using a hex editor. That's two zeros.

To verify it is correct after adding back the missing zeros you "have to" to create an SFV file (details posted above in this thread) and open the SFV file in Notepad to verify the checksum is right.

; 1352748 18:08.54 20xx-xx-xx 5660.img
5660.img 60F6761A

Regards,

Doctor Olds

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
reply to chegitz
said by chegitz:
What's this file?

Which version is this?
Read the »The Unofficial SpeedStream 5260 ---> 5660 FAQ as there is only one file with that name. Or open it in a hex editor as the version is listed in the file header.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

systech

join:2001-03-16
Richardson, TX
reply to buonadomenic
If you're close to the end of the DSL loop the 5260 may not be able to sync to that weak signal. The 5100B can sync to much lower signal than the 5260. Especially your version.
In Dallas Earthlink's 5260 modems are set up the same way as SBCIS's 5260 modems. I don't know if that carries over to the left coast.
--
Americans don't care how much something costs, as long as they don't have to pay for it all at once.

chegitz

reply to Doctor Olds

Re: 5260 > 5660

I'm having a similar problem to bounadomenica. I can ping my machine, but I can't download the hexeditted file.

I think I have Serv-U set up correctly. I renamed the files. How do I tell what my mode is.

BTW, I think I have a small memory 5260.

I'm playing with firmware 2.3.0(7)

Command-> firmware
Server IP: 10.0.0.2
User Name: marc
Password: *****
Command->

chegitz

reply to buonadomenic

I dunno if I configured Serv-U correctly now. I tried FTPing to myself with Win_FTP, but I don't know if that should work.

What if I have two IP addresses going? I've got the one for the Speedstream and the other is dynamically generated for my Alcatel DSL modem.

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
The files will not download if the checksums are not correct.

You have to be directly connected to the 5260/5660 only. It should not be plugged into the phone line.

You have to hex-edit the two files from the Web Archive to add back the missing "00" and verify them with SFV.

You should be able to type "FTP 10.0.0.2" and log into the Serv-U running on your PC. If not, it's misconfigured.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

chegitz

Woot! I had added the truncated "00" to the i-hacked file, but completely spaced it with the proper version of the firmware.

Everything is working

Grazi, Dr. Olds!

KeysCapt
FAQ Master
join:2001-07-11
Carson City, NV
kudos:1
reply to Doctor Olds

(topic move) 5260/5660 can't upload Firmware

Moderator Action
The post that was here, and all followups to it, were moved to a new topic 5260/5660 can't upload Firmware.

adsldude
Premium,Ex-Mod 2003-9
join:2000-11-10
Colorado
kudos:1
reply to Doctor Olds

(topic move) 5260 Modem - flashing green DSL light???

Moderator Action
The post that was here, and all followups to it, were moved to a new topic .. »5260 - 5660 Upgrade