spc
Search similar:

uniqs
magicy2k
join:2004-02-21
Overland Park, KS

magicy2k

Connection drops SBC

I have been a Roadrunner user for over 3 years and am trying to make the switch to SBC DSL...with much pain (and so far it is not worth the 18$ savings a month). It's also amazing the immense number of people having DSL issues.
Help...
My current issue is my connection dropping, and then having to turn the modem off/on to get my connection back. I have gone through 3 days max where it will stay connected. But lately very random.
I seem to lose connection wether directly connected to my PC or using my SMC wireless router (all latest firmware). Lately it loses it's connection while surfing (i.e. no idle time).

Any idea's on settings? SBC has not been a whole lot of help - and the last person I could not understand the dialect)

I have tried various PPPOE settings with no luck so far.
(autoconnect, max idle time, etc.)

(My RR went out 3x in 3 years)

satasi
2nd Little Angel
Premium Member
join:2001-07-04
San Antonio, TX

satasi

Premium Member

Are you losing sync on the modem? Do you have all your jacks filtered? Do you have a alarm system in your home? SATASI
slagdemon4
join:2001-10-09
Lawrence, KS

slagdemon4 to magicy2k

to magicy2k
i bet you 20 bucks it is your router.
magicy2k
Overland Park, KS

magicy2k to satasi

to satasi
Not sure about the modem sync question.

I have one jack unfiltered - - on a phone that is not used - - could that be the issue ?

Also have a wired alarm system.

Thanks in advance...
magicy2k

magicy2k to slagdemon4

to slagdemon4
The connection drop also happend when the router was bypassed - direct connect to pc.

satasi
2nd Little Angel
Premium Member
San Antonio, TX

satasi to magicy2k

Premium Member

to magicy2k
Ok, you need to get a filter for the alarm box. What type of modem do you have? SATASI

msgph
join:2002-03-31
Lees Summit, MO

msgph to magicy2k

to magicy2k
Do you have your alarm system on a filter, too? If not, then you need to get a filter for your alarm. Remember that you alarm takes your telephone line periodically to call in to your alarm company. Also, I believe that you still need to put a filter on that unused phone.

jimkyle
Btrieve Guy
Premium Member
join:2002-10-20
Oklahoma City, OK

jimkyle to magicy2k

Premium Member

to magicy2k
If that unused phone is plugged into the jack, it needs a filter. The purpose of the filter is NOT to protect the phone from interference. It's to prevent the phone's electronics from soaking up the DSL signal and causing loss of sync.

The same thing goes for the alarm system.

If your DSL signal is strong enough you can get by without all the filtering, but if you are dropping sync frequently that's good evidence that the signal is too weak for this to happen...
magicy2k
Overland Park, KS

magicy2k to msgph

to msgph
I have a filter on the alarm..... And I just put one on the a phone that is not used at all. I will see what happens with adding this filter.

My modem is the speedstream 5100b. My current settings i am trying are 60 min max idle with autoconnect.
(the setting with 0 max idle - was dropping).

thanks.

satasi
2nd Little Angel
Premium Member
San Antonio, TX

satasi

Premium Member

Ok, let us know if your problem is fixed. SATASI

razorbackjac

join:2000-11-19
NE Texas

razorbackjac to magicy2k

to magicy2k
How did you filter the alarm??
magicy2k
Overland Park, KS

magicy2k

Inside my security alarm box - there is a direct rj11 connector from phone source, I added the filter there. The alarm has the ability to dial out/in.
But i am hoping my problem was not filtering an unused phone in a guest room - that I ignored because we don't use it - an old corded phone.
magicy2k

magicy2k to satasi

to satasi
So far so good. After putting the filter on the last phone jack... no drops in 3 days.

Thanks.

larryhay
Premium Member
join:2003-05-15
Saint Louis, MO

larryhay to magicy2k

Premium Member

to magicy2k
said by magicy2k:
Inside my security alarm box - there is a direct rj11 connector from phone source, I added the filter there. The alarm has the ability to dial out/in.
But i am hoping my problem was not filtering an unused phone in a guest room - that I ignored because we don't use it - an old corded phone.

ALL phones, used are not , need to be filtered to get the most out of your signal, or disconnected at the phone jack

devil24
Premium Member
join:2002-06-28
San Antonio, TX

devil24 to magicy2k

Premium Member

to magicy2k
Another BBR save ... I'm glad to read that your connection has been rock solid for the last 3 days.