how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

r0x0rz

join:2003-03-02
Canada

which ISPs are bell resellers @ $29 in mississauga

WHich iSPS are bell resellers and charge around $29 a month in mississauga?

I am hoping to go to a cheaper ISP because I have already purchaced a new modem. But then I found out bell upgraded their users to faster speeds, so now which ISPs would still give me upgraded speeds but then be less costly?

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

You'll find that 95% of the DSL providers out there are reselling Bell in Ontario. I'm only aware of 2 providers that have a meaningful deployment of their own DSLAMs, and they don't sell residential service.

Check out Bob Carrick's excellent review site »www.canadianisp.com/ for some options.

Heath

JayMan26
Whoot
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Earth
reply to r0x0rz

They don't resell Bell, they use bells lines.

Reselling means you pay one company but are really logging into another.

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to r0x0rz

And that's exactly what you are doing with 95% of the DSL providers in Ontario. You are connected to Bell's DSLAM.

Based on your login (to IGS, in your case) you get connected to a PVC that extends though Bell's ATM network and connects to your providers network. You can disconnect your PPPoE session to IGS, login with a Sympatico account, and surf through Sympatico's network.

You've probably seen/read reference to RedBack boxes, they're a type of access concentrator that allows this wholesale/resale network to work. Nortel's Shasta, and a few Cisco boxes can do the same thing...

Telus and Allstream have their own DSLAMs deployed in a lot of CO's, but they only offer business service.

Heath

Mark Rejhon

join:2004-02-02
Ottawa, ON

One important thing to remember: Even though Bell's DSLAM is used, Bell's backbone isn't necessarily used (except to route packets to your ISP). Then your ISP backbone is used. So there's a great variance in speeds and reliability between different DSL providers.

There are even cases where alternate ISP's (i.e. Magma) are more reliable than the incumbent ISP (i.e. Sympatico), but you generally pay significantly more for the improved reliability.

LazMan
Premium
canada

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying the Magma's MORE reliable then Sympatico, but I'd certainly say that Magma is one of the most highly regarded ISP's.

Basically, reliabilty and bandwidth cost money. The cheapest ISP's going, tend to run on a shoestring budget. They pay for additional bandwidth only when they must; they're reactive, not proactive with maintenance.

I like IGS, even though they've had a few rough spots over the last few months, Golden's been well liked, at least up until recently; Magma is very well reviewed, and I know first hand that they have decent equipment (I provided some of the connectivity to their new Toronto POP). These aren't the cheapest ISP's going, but they are good value.

If the price is the most imporant factor, then maybe Look or Primus will be more to your taste. Cheaper, sure, but support and service aren't the same...

Heath