join:2004-01-20
Chicago, IL

1 edit

Riss_Centaur

MVM,

NID - DSL Splitter diagram - Wiring the splitter

Click for full size
NID / DSL Splitter typical connections
I have observed a number of requests on how the wireing should run in a Network Interface Device (NID) when installing a DSL Splitter. I whipped up a wireing diagram with the basics... have at!
(note: Diagram assumes a new home-run cat5 cable for DSL. If you are not running a new cable, you may be able to use a spare Black/Yellow wire pair from your exsisting phone wires to bring the circuit to the DSL modem.)
jmichna
Premium Member
join:2001-02-14
Skokie, IL

jmichna

Premium Member

Very nice... wished I had access to this diagram about 30 hours ago

Your diagram confirms I did mine correctly, woo hoo!
Thanks.

Mtn Charley0
join:2002-02-17
Zyante

1 edit

Mtn Charley0 to Riss_Centaur

to Riss_Centaur
I've never seen the plug-in type splitter that you have in your diagram, so it was confusing at first, but I think I have it figured out. Doesn't connect like I thought it would, but if you have it right, it eliminates moving the phone wires.

Riss_Centaur
Mod'taur - - - - 4 On The Floor.
MVM,
join:2004-01-20
Chicago, IL

Riss_Centaur

MVM,

A plug in type is what I have in my NID here, its a Siecor ADSL POTS Splitter, i forget the model number. But it comes with a plug and socket wire. You plug the plug into the test jack, which brings the raw telephone line directly into the splitter. You plug the wireing blocks wire into the new cable from the splitter. Correct then, you dont have to move the voice wires at all, they remain where they are on the wireing block. The splitter then has the terminals for your DSL circuit, which in this case is the raw phone line (after its going through some fuses in the splitter.)

Either way, Im sure there are other styles of splitters out there, but they all do the same thing, block the DSL signal from the voice circuit. (Technically known as a low pass filter.)

Riss_Centaur

Riss_Centaur

MVM,

Click for full size
Inside wiring
Another version of DSL splitter diagram.

KAIFS
V I P
Premium Member
join:2001-01-11
CHEEEESE WI

2 edits

KAIFS to Riss_Centaur

Premium Member

to Riss_Centaur
said by Riss_Centaur:
A plug in type is what I have in my NID here, its a Siecor ADSL POTS Splitter, i forget the model number....

Part number SPS-SA0-SR1

»www.corningcablesystems. ··· 7-EN.pdf