spc
Search similar:

uniqs

login name2
Premium Member
join:2000-08-11

login name2

Premium Member

[Notebooks] precautions with notebook at security?

I will be flying in a few months, being a first time traveller with a notebook, and wondering what the best procedure is getting through security. I will be taking my notebook as a carry on of course, so it will need to be checked somehow before I board. Will it be safe to have the notebook run through the x-ray machine, or can I ask for it to be hand searched? Would the x-ray machine in any way affect the contents of my hard drive?

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz

Premium Member

This is a good topic/question Indifference, and I look forward to some experts advice. Haven't taken mine through the airport yet but, no doubt, will.

Greg_Z
Premium Member
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL

1 edit

Greg_Z to login name2

Premium Member

to login name2
This may help: »www.tsa.gov/public/inter ··· 1052.xml.

You can get more information through the TSA (Transportation Security Administration) at this link: »www.tsa.gov/public/displ ··· heme=175

Key Travel Tips

Following these tips will help you reduce your wait time at the security checkpoint.

Before the Airport

Do NOT pack or bring prohibited items to the airport. Read the Permitted and Prohibited Items (PDF 319KB) list.
Refrain from taking wrapped presents to the airport. TSA is recommending that you either ship wrapped packages ahead of time or wrap on arrival. If the package alarms, TSA will need to unwrap it to investigate the source of the alarm.
Avoid wearing shoes, clothing, jewelry, and accessories that contain metal. Metal items may set off the alarm on the metal detector.
Put all undeveloped film and cameras with film in your carry-on baggage. Checked baggage screening equipment will damage undeveloped film.
Carry-on baggage is limited to one carry-on bag plus one personal item. Personal items include laptops, purses, small backpacks, briefcases, or camera cases. Remember, 1+1.
Place identification tags in and on all of your baggage. Don't forget to label your laptop computer. These are one of the most forgotten items at Screening Checkpoints.

At the Airport

Put metal IN your carry-on bag. This includes jewelry, loose change, keys, mobile phones, pagers, and personal data assistants (PDAs).
Take OUT your laptop computer. Place it in a bin, separate from its carrying case.
Take OFF your outer coat. Place it in a bin. Suit jackets and blazers do not have to be removed, unless requested by the screener.

login name2
Premium Member
join:2000-08-11

login name2

Premium Member

quote:

Take OUT your laptop computer. Place it in a bin, separate from its carrying case.

Im confused about that part. The few airports i've been to, I've only noticed the conveyor belt which sends stuff through the x-ray machine and a tiny plastic bowl/tray to put loose change, jewelry, keys in etc. Is there something else that one normally puts expensives cameras/film or notebooks in that allows the security to manually check it vs. putting it through the x-ray?

Greg_Z
Premium Member
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL

Greg_Z

Premium Member

The information was directly copied from the TSA website. With a laptop, I would say that unless you really do not need it, don't take it. As for a business person, if you let the person doing the checkpoint know that you wish to not place your laptop on the conveyour for the X-ray machine, you would need to check with that person.
dsweet
join:2003-01-16
Newport Beach, CA

dsweet to login name2

to login name2
My Dell has been through the X-Ray more than 200 times (I travel a great deal) with no effect whatsoever. No data loss, no hard drive issues, no effect on pictures, etc. Some airports just put the laptop on the belt, while others put them in a larger square bin. I would not spend even one minute worrying about this.

File Quit
Mac Geek
Premium Member
join:2002-11-28
Richmond, TX

File Quit to login name2

Premium Member

to login name2
My 3 yr old. Dell latitude CPxH500 (which im using to type this now) has been through the security checkpoint at Indy, Chicago and LA 3 times with no problems. After going thru the x-ray they will hand check it and put some cloth on it to detect any dangerous substances. My carrying case was also searched as well. The laptop (along with acessories, including wireless card) is working still today and had no problems.

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

Warzau to login name2

Premium Member

to login name2
Same procedure here. Took out my Dell from the bag put it in a plastic bin. What I did do was I used a brother Ptouch and used a label to put my Name on the lid so when it came out, I immediately saw it. I also put my DL # in other places underside and on the inside of the lid for the memory in case there was ever a problem. Plus would help somewhat to deter some sticky fingers.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz

Premium Member

That's certainly good to know and reassuring!

Mospaw
My socks don't match.

join:2001-01-08
New Braunfels, TX

Mospaw to login name2

to login name2

Re: [Notebooks] precautions with notebook at secur

My rusty and trusty 3-year-old IBM ThinkPad has plenty of miles on it, at least 30 or 40 flights, and nary a problem related to travel (or any other reason). It even got several really good bangings in Atlanta when it wasn't in a tray. I didn't have access to it, since I was in line for further examination (damned metal in my shoes). Again, no issues.

I've only been at major airports in the last couple of years (Orlando, LAX, Atlanta, Boston) and all of them now have the trays to put the laptop into. Initially Atlanta didn't have them, but they do now. Orlando does, too. Just make sure you put the laptop and ONLY the laptop in the bin.

Also, if your laptop bag has straps and you run it through without a tray, make sure they're not hanging. In fact, if you can remove them and tuck them inside, you're doing well. I've had mine get caught in the rollers a few times, with some damage to the bag. I put it in a tray now. The security agents don't like that about 50% of the time. I explain that the straps tend to get caught in the works, and they're suddenly OK with it.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData to login name2

Premium Member

to login name2

Re: [Notebooks] precautions with notebook at security?

why not just undress completely naked while we are at it ?
jeez, the rules sure have changed over the years.

Beringse
Over 1 billion fishsticks caught
Premium Member
join:2003-11-20
Sequim, WA

Beringse

Premium Member

If you fly out of Heathrow (UK) or sometimes Frankfurt (GR) they will do some interesting tests on your laptop, Scan it for 15 minutes with some kind of detector in a dark room. Pretty trippy stuff but good for security measures.
Expand your moderator at work

fractalspher
join:2001-07-17
Buffalo Grove, IL

fractalspher to login name2

to login name2

Re: [Notebooks] precautions with notebook at security?

I've just been travelling with a notebook and it's not a major deal, except the whole security thing in general (don't get me started!).

Make sure you don't have a screwdriver in your laptop bag. I got griped at for that one.

X-rays shouldn't effect it. Just make sure the wonderful government contracted security people don't drop it. And make sure it gets turned off if they need to turn it on. You don't want it overheating in your bag.