All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

XPUser
@chicago.il.ameritech

XPUser

Anon

Speedstream 4060 works in Windows XP Pro?

I added Windows XP Pro to a new partition on my hard drive to try to get it running, knowing my biggest issue would be with my Speedstream 4060 modem. I used the 3.3 drivers for Windows 2000 and it detected the hardware and I get the green light on the modem for sync. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to connect to the DSL service. Does anyone know if its possible to get my 4060 to connect with Windows XP? If not, does anyone know a replacement DSL modem compatible with Ameritech that I can use? Thanks
System

Anon

Well considering xp is not open to public yet hehe you should be asking the vvarez rooms

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy

MVM

MS is currently distributing a lot of 120 day time limited copies of the GA (general availability) version of XP.

XPUser
@66.72.x.x

XPUser

Anon

Anyone with a serious answer to this? I need to know my options for another modem to get up and running. Which other modems are compatible with my Ameritech service if the 4060 will not work?

Thank You.

janderso1
Jim
MVM
join:2000-04-15
Saint Petersburg, FL

janderso1

MVM

Hi
Assuming you are on PPPOE (and not PPPOA), a Westell 36R516 or a Efficient 5260/5262 modem will work with the Ethernet adapter of your choice (including USB if you don’t have any PCI slots). If you have a PCI slot, a Efficient 3060 (about $30 on ebay) will work proving you can find an XP driver for it.

By the way, you might want to register (its free).

XPUser
@chicago.il.ameritech

XPUser

Anon

I just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly. The Westell modem does not require a device driver? I checked their website and it seemed to say that. So as long as I have a compatible NIC card with Windows XP i should be home free, correct? Just don't want to purchase the Westell if it won't do any good.

JrC384k
join:2000-09-24
Chicago, IL

JrC384k

You are correct there. Just get a NIC that is compatible with XP. To my experience with XP Linksys, Kingston, and DLink work well.

DeeC
Premium Member
join:2000-09-01
the world

DeeC to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon
said by Nefar:
Well considering xp is not open to public yet hehe you should be asking the vvarez rooms
Sorry you are out of date...Little did you know, XP is already being offered on new PCs by the top 6 PC manufacturers. He doesn't have to look anywhere..... I gave you links in the other thread so you could "catch up", per se....

ryang
Premium Member
join:2001-04-01
Chicago, IL

ryang to XPUser

Premium Member

to XPUser
FYI - The PCI ADSL modem which I use is XP compatible. No problems whatsoever. Weird thing too since Texas Instruments hasn't updated the drivers in over a year.
System

Anon

I just got the USB 4060 to work on mine AMD 700...I installed the modems drivers like you said...then disabled the Efficient Miniport driver or something with 1483 and mini in it...I'm not at my computer right now so I'm not sure...then used XP's built in Dial up connection to connect with WanPPPoE...That's what XP uses as built in PPPoE service connection...After that it connected automatically...I've tested Enternet 3000 v1.5, and RasPPPoE v0.96 and it doesn't work with those...but XP's built in connection works perfectly...Hope this helps

Dest
Bolo
Premium Member
join:2000-03-21
Naperville, IL

Dest to ryang

Premium Member

to ryang
Ryang what modem are you using? i thought you use the 3060? in which case the drivers would be from Efficient not TI...

ryang
Premium Member
join:2001-04-01
Chicago, IL

ryang

Premium Member

(Sorry Dest this thread got packed way down on my posts page)
Nope, using the Texas Instruments modem (Not sure on the model #)
See it here:
»members.tccoa.com/ryang/ ··· help.htm

Bender9
join:2001-04-27
Springfield, OH

Bender9 to Anon

to Anon
Can you be more specific on the drivers you installed Crazyburdie? Still giving me one massive migraine.

(edit) Oh wait...you were talking about the 3.3 drivers, right? *smacks forehead*
[text was edited by author 2001-09-23 18:00:17]

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC

Jan Janowski to XPUser

Premium Member

to XPUser
The Efficient forum had a posting on this about a month ago, and was followed up with another that included a step-by-step proceedure for successful install...
Jan

Ogrt
@ndc.edu

Ogrt to XPUser

Anon

to XPUser
Well, I just got Windows XP Pro last night. I will be installing it around 3:30 tonight. I hope it works ok with the modem. Argh, I wish I could go install it now.. stupid classes... heh
System

Anon

I got my 4060 to work in XP with the installation of the new 3.3 drivers from Speedstreams site. However, I was unable to get the built-in PPPoE from XP to work, but after installing RASPPoe 96 got everything to work fine.
It is very simple to install the drivers.

1. Unplug your 4060.
2. Run the Speedstream 3.3 install program.
3. Choose which drivers to install. The program will ask you what your modem looks like.
4. It will then tell you to plug in your modem. Do it.
5. Answer YES or Continue anyway when it asks you if its OK to install the driver. (this may happen before step 3)
6. MOST IMPORTANT STEP! When auto-config is run (after install completes) you must hit CANCEL immediately when the program tries to find your DSL connection or XP will error out. For Ameritech, select 0 and 35 for the settings and it will test your connection and report it successful.

Worked like a champ for me, even though Efficient support will tell you they have no XP driver and cannot help you.

Dest
Bolo
Premium Member
join:2000-03-21
Naperville, IL

Dest

Premium Member

eh? i use 0 and 105 for vci/vpi but i'm on PPPoA
Ogrt48
join:2001-09-07
Rego Park, NY

Ogrt48

Someone help! I installed my modem and I have the green light. When I try to make my enternet profile after entering the user name and password I get " E0083 Profile wizard found adapters installed in your computer but did not find any with tcp stacks configured. help! Also where do I put the 0 and 35. After I cancled auto config it just said finished
Ogrt48

Ogrt48

YAY! I finally got my 4060 working! Only took 7 hours with no breaks.. I still can't get the Enternet software to work. I'm using XP's built in stuff.

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

If you got the XP PPPoE support going, you don't need Enternet. That's the way to go anyway, since it's integrated into to the OS. OK, now you have to write up what you did for the rest of us...

Ogrt
@adelphia.net

Ogrt

Anon

Heh, I really have no idea how I got it to work. I just messed around with settings for 7 hours straight. I have to go to class soon but when I'm back ( 2pm eastern) I'll post all my settings

Bender9
Springfield, OH

Bender9

Ogrt, buddy? You can't leave us hanging! Heheh. I have a copy of XP that's just dying to be installed.

Ogrt
@adelphia.net

Ogrt

Anon

I totally forgot sorry. Well that pc is at my dorm room now since I'm moving onto campus tomorrow. (t3 here I come!) I still have the dsl modem right here and am trying to install it in a min to get rid of adelphia cable. If I get it working I'll reply with what I did.
Ogrt48
Rego Park, NY

Ogrt48 to Bender9

to Bender9
Well, I just got this pc on and running! Alot faster then my past 7 hours! I'm writing the instructions in word right now. I wrote them as I went on paper. I'll post em asap !
Ogrt48

Ogrt48 to Bender9

to Bender9
Well here it is! Please let me know your results!

How to connect to Ameritech DSL on windows XP using the Efficient SpeedStream 4060
Download drivers 3.4.1 from »support.efficient.com/dr ··· -033.exe
Extract them and run setup.
:: Setup Wizard::
Hit no on modem pictures number 1.
On the next set hit next.
It will copy files, etc. Just let it do its job.
When told so hook all the wires into the back of the modem. Then hook it into the phone jack. Plug in the power. Lastly hook the usb cord into the pc. When you do this alloy of new hardware found messages will appear. Ignore everything and just let it do its stuff.
Your modem light should turn green!
Click Finish
::Wizard Exit::
::Auto Config wizard appears::
Just hit Cancel asap
::Wizard Closes::

Now go to Start-Control Panel – Network connections – Create a new account
::Wizard::
Hit Next – connect to the internet – setup manually – connect using broadband connection that requires a username and password. Name is Ameritech. Enter your user name and password. Remember after your using name to put @ameritech.net I turned off the firewall. Hit Finish
::Exits wizard::

Click on ATM Connections – Right click and hit properties – Click on Efficient Networks RFC 1483 Intermediate Driver – Hit properties – set the vci to 35 – hit ok then close

Here is the MOST IMPORTANT PART. Local area connection 4 in network connections will say a cable is unplugged. To fix this right click on it and hit disable. Now after that right click on it again and hit enable. Select your Ameritech DSL account and hit connect! Happy surfing! BTW I am connected at 811.4 Kbps.. Is that good?

Bender9
Springfield, OH

Bender9

SCORE!

Thanks a million Ogrt! That did the trick! I'm using Windows XP Pro for anyone that wants to know if it will work in that version.

Ogrt48
Rego Park, NY

Ogrt48

Hey Bender do you have a cdr drive? Ever since getting Windows XP all my burning programs tell me there is a problem with the aspi manager problems so I can't burn anymore!

Pope Torak
Fnord
join:2001-09-23
North Richland Hills, TX

Pope Torak to XPUser

to XPUser
ok for the ones with the 4060, and need something to connect with b/c E300 wont cooperate, heres the site

»home.earthlink.net/~frix ··· ndowsxp/
Ogrt48
Rego Park, NY

Ogrt48

They don't need that for the 4060. All they need to do is follow the instructions from my post. I have had it work on both of my pcs with the 4060 and 4 other people have claimed it worked. So far my way has worked 100%

Bender9
Springfield, OH

Bender9

Yeah, I have an Iomega Predator but I haven't tried it yet. *Shutter* Guess that's next on the ol' list. I already discovered my HP scanner is out but so far nothing I can't live without for a month or two.