Monmouth Junction, NJ
|reply to TVGOS Prob |
Re: [Internet] TV Guide Data
tvgos not working issues should only be understood well by the very people who designed the tvgos product and it's data-stream. tvgos data-stream HOST-CHANNEL stations like PBS13 [WNET] or cable provider like RCN/Camcast/Cablevision/etc., does not have knowledge to troubleshoot tvgos.
If you use a CABLECARD (programmed by your cable provider for your TV/DVR), make sure you still get your "analog/NTSC" tvgos HOST-CHANNEL for your ZIPCODE (HOST-CHANNELS are pre-assigned to ZIPCODES). It is possible that CABLECARD is programmed so that PBS13 [WNET] is mapped to the digital simulcast that does not yet have the ATCS version of the tvgos data-stream. Gemstar tvgos is still working on the "digital/ATSC" version (Q4 2005 or Q1 2006, as I hear so far).
I suggest you get in touch with Gemstar tvgos support at 800-386-7380. Leave messages till you are responded to and please be very patient with the small tech-support team there (who seem to be already very occupied). They have been very helpful in my case.
My tvgos case in short:
- I have Comcast. My head-end is "Comcast of Central NJ".
- My ZIPCODE of 08852 (South Brunswick, NJ) maps to HOST-CHANNEL of analog PBS13 [WNET] of New York Metro.
- Since my Pana Plasma TV purchase in early Aug 2005, tvgos worked very well.
- On 8 Oct 2005, Channel-line up in tvgos disappeared (empty tvgos LISTING & can't go to tvgos CHANNEL-EDITOR) but interestingly while I waited to see if things correct itself for over 2 weeks, 'most' program-listing continued to be downloaded (seen via the current channel "TV's INFO button" or via tvgos SEARCH).
- I reset Pana TV to factory with Pana Support...tvgos does not initialize at all...tvgos did not work.
- I bought another LG TV with tvgos...tvgos does not initizlize at all...tvgos did not work.
- Opened case with Gemstar tvgos Support.
- tvgos Support provided me alternate-ZIPCODE 08541 (Princeton, NJ) to force tvgos to use a different HOST-CHANNEL of PBS12 [WHYY] or Fox29 [WTXF] of Philadelphia Metro...tvgos starts to work and channel-lineup is compatible.
- tvgos Support tells me that HOST-CHANNEL PBS13 [WNET] has a problem (and they also tell me that this serves their biggest market)...they have opened an investigation now.
- I will use the alternate-ZIPCODE till tvgos Support tells me that WNET data-stream issue is rectified.
You can use the tvgos Diag to determine if you have a HOST-CHANNEL or not. This is a basic check you can perform yourself:
- Highlight TVGUIDE -> SETUP -> Change System Settings. Do not "select" it...just highlight it.
- Enter 753 159 852
- Press left/right arrow to move within pages in a SECTION.
- Press up/down arow to move between SECTIONS.
- If HOST-CHANNEL is blank or 0xFFFF in SECTION SYSTEM - STATISTICS, HOST-CHANNEL pre-assigned to your ZIPCODE is either not found or the tvgos data-stream it carries has some problem.
- Press TVGUIDE to exit.