spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

brgnewman

join:2005-03-28
Calgary, AB

[Thomson Speedtouch 516v6] Web Interface?

Hey,
Is there anyway to get into the web interface on my new Speedtouch modem from Telus? I tried what the manual online said:

In the address bar, type your SpeedTouch™’s IP address or DNS host name (»speedtouch.lan or 192.168.1.254 by default)
But that doesn't work? Does anything know how to get into it? And is there any cool features with this new modem?

Thanks,
- Barret

sellars0815

join:2006-10-02
Vancouver, BC

Hi,
try setting up the computer connected to the modem to a fixed IP: 192.168.1.2, mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway to 192.168.1.254. Then turn the modem off and back on. Worked for me.
Before that, I got some obscure 10.17.x.x address (forgot which one) while I had my PC set to DHCP.

Later.

Dailow

join:2006-08-16

You can also access the modem via 10.0.0.138.

If you've ever telnetted into a DLink 300i or 300g (not sure if they have web interfaces) then you should see the same sort of functionality available in the Thompson's web-based interface.

lucky644
Premium
join:2002-02-04
reply to brgnewman

I'd like to check my sync etc, I have the login/pass window, does anyone know the details?

me1a

@telus.net
reply to brgnewman

I can connect to the webinterface login window but I dont have the login or password.
Telus says they dont have it, talk to Thomson.
Nice service.
Does anyone have this info.
Please my 516 v6 upload is stuck at 444kbps when Im set at 1024kbps says Telus.
Thank You.

ZeekWatson

join:2002-02-05
reply to brgnewman

Just got a Thompson 516 v6 also (replacement for 2crap er 2wire).

There seems to be an internal interface on this modem but the standard login doesn't work? How do I get in?

TIA!

root@soot:~# telnet 192.168.1.254

Entering character mode
Escape character is '^]'.

Username : admin
Password : *****
Invalid username/password.
Closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.
root@soot:~#

tumble

join:2005-03-31
Vancouver, BC

said by ZeekWatson:

There seems to be an internal interface on this modem but the standard login doesn't work? How do I get in?
Telus sets its own password on every modem and doesn't tell customers what it is, so you'll probably have to crack it yourself or wait until it's leaked.

joshb
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Calgary, AB
reply to brgnewman

Try,

username: root
password: Orion99

lucky644
Premium

said by joshb:

Try,

username: root
password: Orion99
not the same pass as the dlink.

me1a

@telus.net
reply to joshb

That dosnt work either.
It would have been nice if Telus would have included a Thomson speedtouch setup disc.
root and orion 99 worked on my old linksys me1 modem.

WCVanHorne

join:2006-10-06
Edmonton, AB
reply to brgnewman

So does anyone have the password yet? I would really like to monitor line stats, etc. now that I have been upgraded from the 3com to the the Speedtouch.

WCVanHorne

Edmonton, AB
reply to brgnewman

Password notwithstanding does anyone have any ideas how to somehow route past a simple home router to 192.168.1.254? I don't think any of the cheap routers could do it since you would need to bind multiple IPs to the same interface. IE the WAN would have to have your DHCP address plus something on the private subnet (eg. 192.168.1.10/255.255.255.0). I suppose one way would be to have another NIC in your box and connect it to a hub that sits in between the Speedtouch and your router and configure that interface to the 192.168.1.10/255.255.255.0. Anyhow, food for thought untill the password shows up somewhere.

lucky644
Premium
reply to me1a

said by me1a :

That dosnt work either.
It would have been nice if Telus would have included a Thomson speedtouch setup disc.
root and orion 99 worked on my old linksys me1 modem.
I have the me3, which i still use, do you happen to know the login for it? hoping its the same as the me1....

Do I just hook up a serial cable to the back?

KOz1 Vic

join:2006-09-16
Victoria, BC

This is the info I got. You need to connect the modem directly to the back of your PC and change your IP to 210.65.231.2, subnet 255.255.255.0.

Then do the following:

1. Access the ADSLME1 via a Browser (*Note: PC must be on same subnet as ADSLME1)

At the Browser Window, type »210.65.231.206 in the browser address field

Logon: root

Password: orion99

2. From the HOME Menu, click on [Basic Config]

3. From the CONFIG Menu, click on [Factory Default]

4. The following message displays: "Load Factory Default"

5. Click on [Submit] to restore the default configurations

6. The following message displays: "Load Factory Default Successful"

7. Click on [Save and Restart]

8. The following message displays: "Save Configuration and Restart System"

9. Click on [Save] to save the settings.

10. Click on [Restart] to restart the ADSLME1 with the new settings

11. The Browser may appear to hang while the ADSLME1 is restarting. After the ADSLME1 has finished rebooting (and the LAN LINK and ADSL LINK LEDs are solid green), click on the [Refresh] or [Reload] button on the Browser, or close and reopen the Browser Window.
==================

WCVanHorne

Edmonton, AB

said by KOz1 Vic:

change your IP to 210.65.231.2, subnet 255.255.255.0.
It is definitely set for 192.168.1.254 on mine as mentioned before and in other docs I have read on the Thompson website.
I can telnet and http to it.

Logon: root
Password: orion99
Tried with the username "administrator" and "root" with the trusty old "orion99" password and no dice.

lucky644
Premium

2 edits

gg reading.

Then do the following:

1. Access the ADSLME1 via a Browser (*Note: PC must be on same subnet as ADSLME1)

joshb
Premium
Calgary, AB

said by lucky644:

1. (*Note: PC must be on same subnet as ADSLME1)
That is needed in order to access all of there back end clients on all previus and curremt modem models **except the 2wire**

lucky644
Premium

said by joshb:

said by lucky644:

1. (*Note: PC must be on same subnet as ADSLME1)
That is needed in order to access all of there back end clients on all previus and curremt modem models **except the 2wire**
I was referring to WCVanHorne who thought we were talking about the thompson.

ZeekWatson

join:2002-02-05
reply to tumble

said by tumble:

said by ZeekWatson:

Telus sets its own password on every modem and doesn't tell customers what it is, so you'll probably have to crack it yourself or wait until it's leaked.
Crack it myself? With something like this? Has anyone reported any success doing this?

»thc.segfault.net/thc-hydra/

lucky644
Premium

said by ZeekWatson:

said by tumble:

said by ZeekWatson:

Crack it myself? With something like this? Has anyone reported any success doing this?

»thc.segfault.net/thc-hydra/
Could work. I returned my thompson though so I cannot try it. I only have this stupid 2wire now

WCVanHorne

Edmonton, AB
reply to brgnewman

Bump! No credentials yet? Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller?...

green16

join:2006-11-03
Calgary, AB

the speedtouch modems are capable of a great deal, they have built in firewall, router, parental controls, etc... all of which have been disabled on the TELUS models and cannot be re-enabled... these are geared for the "lite" customers, all standard, enhanced, and extreme customers are being given the 2wire modems instead. on a lite package there wouldn't be much to see in there anyway... speeds maybe, but lite is only 256k, so it doesn't tend to fluctuate any, it's pretty much always the same....

WCVanHorne

Edmonton, AB

2 edits

said by green16:

the speedtouch modems ... are geared for the "lite" customers, all standard, enhanced, and extreme customers are being given the 2wire modems instead. on a lite package there wouldn't be much to see in there anyway... speeds maybe, but lite is only 256k, so it doesn't tend to fluctuate any, it's pretty much always the same....
I'm not sure where you are getting this from. The speedtouch is a perfectly suitable modem for all packages. Indeed it has been reported to be more stable than the 2 wire. I have 3.0 and a speedtouch and it is being installed for those who don't need another router/wap (although, as you note, the speedtouch is capable of being a router with a firmware and/or config change). As mentioned in another thread I was just recently upgraded because my old, reliable 3com home connect was having a few issues with upstream speed. Anyhow, it is true that when using the speedtouch as a simple bridge there is not much I am intersted in; however I do like to see the line power, s/n, and training info in case there are problems. I know this has saved Telus some calls in the past when I could just open the com port to my 3com (and others) and confirm that speed issues were not due to the line.

KOz1 Vic

Victoria, BC

1 edit

Actually I have had 2 speedtouch modems and both were disabled
in regards to everything except for the modem side of it.
I was told by 3 telus reps that the speedtouch has been modified so it will only work well for the lite customers.
They said the upload speed has been limited as well.
Which is really to bad.
I can get to the login window on both but cant get the right combo for login and password even after a reset which would have returned it to default settings which Thomson support gave me the password for but dose not work.

Im getting a 2wire and crossing my fingers!!

joshb
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to brgnewman

I ran a Thompson on a TTV connection and no problems at all with it. It preformed very well. So any limitations it has they can change at Level 2 or Network Support.

I did go back to the Dlink in the end. But for a short term fix it did extremely well. I was very impressed.

green16

Calgary, AB

1 edit

there is nothing at all wrong with the thompson speedtouch modem, it is a very capable device, and can run on any package at full speeds.

but that is not the INTENTION of the device, the device is supposed to be used for light and server packages where the wireless router/firewall/etc of the 2 wire is not needed/wanted.

to the person that said it is more stable than a 2Wire... no, the 2Wire is perfectly stable (barring possible faulty units, but you could just as easilly get a faulty speedtouch) from the stand point of the DSL side of things both modems are completely equal. the difference is in how they have been programmed to behave on the LAN side.

While I can't give out the passwords for the Thompson, (I like my job and don't want to be fired) I can tell you that the only thing that can be done in there with the password is look up DSL/ethernet stats, there is nothing configurable in the web interface (all configuration settings are completely disabled, even with the password)

(you might be able to configure some things in the telnet interface, but I haven't really figured it out enough to try yet...)

KOz1 Vic

Victoria, BC

>> there is nothing at all wrong with the thompson speedtouch modem, it is a very capable device, and can run on any package at full speeds.

Like I said before multiple techs have told me the upload is limited and not full speed.
2 Speedtouchs and those 2 cant make it past 520 kbps connected
to the port bandwidth on the upload side, download is fine.
Are you saying that those techs were lieing.

green16

Calgary, AB

1 edit

what package do you have? 520 is the speed that we limit the upstream to on all standard home DSL packages.

256 for light 520 for standard 640 for enhanced, and 1 meg for server (I believe extreme is also 1 meg)

the other possibility is that your line won't support the higher speeds on the upstream. (this is actually quite common)

KOz1 Vic

Victoria, BC

1 edit

Server package 3.0/1.0 my max through put in upload hovers at 940 with the dlink and 840 with the speedtouch but the techs
are telling me the speedtouch is limited to 520 -540 kbps upload.

green16

Calgary, AB

1 edit

well... you said it yourself, you get 840 on the speedtouch, so it obviously isn't limited to 520... so yes, the techs are lying to you (well... they don't mean to lie, it's simply that they haven't been given any actual information either)

also there is no server 3.0 package, it's either server 2.5 or server 4.0....

as I mentioned in another thread, the speedtouch modems are still relatively new, and not very widely deployed, so it's been hard to guage their real-world performance, it is quite possible that their upstream is slightly weaker than a dlink, it's not that they are "capped" just that they may not be as good performers. they are CAPABLE of the full speeds, but possibly not on your line.