uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rxdoxx
Premium,Ex-Mod 2002-13
join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD
kudos:11

Restaurant thread.

I love food! and my taste is very widespread.
I also do not like paying an arm and a leg for "normal" restaurant fare.
There are solid restaurants everywhere, I'm hoping in this thread people will add the "gems".
1-great food at a suprising low price
2-incredible food at a price where I nod my head and say
"high but worth it"
3- or one with a specialty that is worth a drive, usually a small family owned where grandma/grandpa is in the kitchen and he does a dish that just draws people from everywhere (like sour beef and dumplings or their 18 cheese manocotti)

I don't like to pay for the celebrity pictures on the wall if you know what I mean.

Many years ago there was Gabrielle's (French country home) near Frederick/Iamsville. Haven't been there in many years, don't know if it still exists.

In D.C. El Caribe (Adams Morgan), again many many years ago, was to the branch in Bethesda maybe 4-5 years ago and loved it.

I'll start with a Korean restaurant
Han Sung
3570 St.Johns Lane
Ellicott City, Md 21043
410-750-3836

They have a seafood pancake (looks like a cross between a potato pancake and a pizza) called PaJun that every month or two I start craving and drive the 30 miles to get it. Been to numerous Korean restaurants, never seen this dish at any other. Average price $13, which is a little higher than other Korean restaurants, but this place is a class of its own when it comes to food quality.

The problem is most of these restaurants are small, no large advertizing budget and the chef/owner hits exhaustion in 3-5 years. So finding them is the hard part, (and I don't like going to 10-20 others trying to hit the one). Anybody here go to one?
--
A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

said by Rxdoxx:
I'll start with a Korean restaurant
Han Sung
3570 St.Johns Lane
Ellicott City, Md 21043
410-750-3836
I'm going to check that one next week for lunch. Maybe I'll do a follow up review.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Rxdoxx

said by Rxdoxx:
1-great food at a suprising low price
In this category I would nominate Rabieng, a Thai restaurant on Leesburg Pike (Route 7) between Seven Corners and Baileys Crossroads. It's in the same strip mall as its sister restaurant, the more "mainstream" Duangrats (which itself is probably a candidate for this category, too).

Rabieng specializes in lesser-known regional dishes. The food is great (try the Bhram) and the prices are low.

Brian
--
Earthlink SRS 1370 (as of 2/28/02) RWIN=224360, MTU=1500, Path Discovery=Yes, Win2K SP2 IE 5.5 SP2

FingerDemon

join:2001-10-15
Herndon, VA
reply to Rxdoxx

Italian is more my speed and there are two very good ones in the Reston/Herndon area.

One is St. Basil off of North Shore Drive in Reston. See this review, although its not that flattering a review. I think it is a better restaraunt than that, but it gives details.

»eg.washingtonpost.com/profile/10···taurants

Another good one is the other side of the Toll Road in Reston, Il Cigno.

»www.washingtonian.com/dining/Pro···gno.html

Bon Apetit!

FingerDemon
--
From Mark Leyner's Et Tu, Babe
Last words of dying man...
"If you squander your precious, beautiful days on meaningless labor, whose ultimate purpose is to further enrich the ruling elite or solidify the hegemony of the state...
you're a sucker."

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD
reply to Rxdoxx

I highly recommend Adam's Ribs: »www.adamsribs.com/

The ribs are so tender they fall right off the bone. Excellent bar-b-que sauce, too! Get the potato skins appetizer as well.

To my knowledge, the one in columbia MD closed down. If you are in that area, give the number a call...they might have just moved. We go to the one in Severna Park.

My wife and I have spent many a dollar and fine evenings there.
--
"Are you on the Distributed Computing Map?"

eSteve
Yoiks and Away
Premium
join:1999-11-08
Alexandria, VA
reply to Rxdoxx

Ahhh.... food... my favorite

Let's see, there are so many little places that I love:

Van Dorn Plaza, south of Edsall (next to Giant,) just pick a restaurant here, you can't go wrong. Some of the best ethnic food around.

Italian Place on the corner does the 2 entrees and a bottle of wine for $29 deal on Mondays... very nice stuff here, for dinner, the Veal (while politically incorrect) is all tasty and they make some nice Italian seafood dishes as well... their lunch buffet is so-so.

El Paraiso, Salvadoran - yummy! Sparse dining room, but hefty portions and cold Corona's are the attraction. Many different "platos" to choose from.

Akasaka, Sushi and Japanese - MY FAVORITE. Great affordable Sushi and Monday night is dollar sushi night. The Tempura is good too, as is the Beef Negamaki. Great, friendly service, take out presentation is just as good as when you eat in.

Kabul Kabob (I'm not kidding) - Afghani/Middle Eastern, simple, tasty, and affordable.

All these places are in the same "strip mall" type plaza, and they are all worth checking out.
--
Steve "Isn't it conceivable to you that an intelligent person could harbor two opposing ideas in his mind?" -- Adlai Stevenson

MisManager
Runs With Scissors
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Reston, VA
reply to FingerDemon

said by FingerDemon:
Italian is more my speed and there are two very good ones in the Reston/Herndon area.

One is St. Basil off of North Shore Drive in Reston. See this review, although its not that flattering a review. I think it is a better restaraunt than that, but it gives details.

»eg.washingtonpost.com/profile/10···taurants

Another good one is the other side of the Toll Road in Reston, Il Cigno.

»www.washingtonian.com/dining/Pro···gno.html

Bon Apetit!

FingerDemon
--
From Mark Leyner's Et Tu, Babe
Last words of dying man...
"If you squander your precious, beautiful days on meaningless labor, whose ultimate purpose is to further enrich the ruling elite or solidify the hegemony of the state...
you're a sucker."

My wife and I stumbled on St. Basil's last winter - very nice indeed, and a departure from the regular Italian restaurants (which I also like). Il Cigno is nice too, although at this point it's more fun to follow the saga of their tent than anything else!

Eric
--
Diplomacy is the art of letting someone else get your way.

evilbat7

join:2001-03-07
Nashville, TN

reply to Rxdoxx

In the Tyson's Corner area, A Taste of Saigon.

8201 Greensboro Drive
McLean, VA 22102
703-790-0700

It's across from The Galleria Mall. Excellent food and the prices are reasonable. Only caveat, the portions are kind of small so for a hearty eater like myself, you'll need to order appetizer, entree and dessert!
[text was edited by author 2002-04-12 09:01:55]

shezams
My Other Car Is A Zamboni
Premium
join:2001-08-14
Hyattsville, MD
reply to Rxdoxx

In College Park try »www.tacofiesta.com online and in College Park. Good people, really nice California/Mexican food.
--
Simple rules - no offsides, no intent to maim, everything else is all good!

jkonrad
Konman
Premium
join:2001-10-04
Mount Airy, MD
reply to Rxdoxx

I've been going to a great Italian restaurant in Laurel for a few years, I recently saw it featured on the Food Network.

It has the worst name though - Pasta Plus. It sounds like an american pasta place. But if you want some real italian food than it is awesome. I originally came from NYC and it took me forever to find some good, real, Italian places here in DC. Most had mushy pasta and greasy canned tomato sauce, yech.

It is at 198/RT1 in Laurel. The shopping center it is in even looks like a dive, but I promise a great meal, great service.

Another good one in Laurel is CJ Ferraris, on Route 1 across the street from Best Buy. It has a smaller menu, but is pretty awesome.

Both places are closed on Mondays.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to Rxdoxx

Johanson's
corner of Main St. & Railroad Ave.
Westminster, MD
(410) 876-0101 (local from Baltimore)

We seldom go out to eat, but several times a year we walk the 2 blocks to Johanson's and come home stuffed and happy. An old city house or hotel converted to a restaurant, it's full of wood floors and trim, nice-looking but no overly fancy. Dinners are mostly unsurprising stuff from $12 - $20, very good, with good portions (not those cute little vegetable/meat/garnish art exhibits on plates called meals in some places). I really have a problem ordering anything but the shrimp scampi, though; it's extremely good. The best part of the place is the room all the way to the right, an angled shape accommodating the railroad track running about 20 feet outside the huge windows (yes, trains still chug slowly through town). Dinner there is very nice with a fire in the fireplace and snow falling outside the window.

Map here
--
they fight crime

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to seaquake

The wife LOVES Adam's Ribs (the restaurant!). The one in Severna Park is closest to us; we hit that at least once a month.
For classic eateries in the Annapolis area, you just can't beat Cantlers...if you can find it. Nuthin like smashing crabs on the deck while the watermen bring in their daily catch!
I'm not a HUGE crab fine, like 'em fine enough, but when you get into the whole scene...
Another fav in this area is Texas Grill (or is it Texas Steaks?) on Rt.2 in Arnold. Now talk about GREAT meat! Not cheap, but not too pricey either.
Woodfire Grill in Severna Park is another fine eatery. A little pricey, but worth an occasion.
Time for dinner!

CHuntMD

join:2001-01-23
Upper Marlboro, MD

In Annapolis, there is a little hole in the wall place near the old Hechinger's (also Outback in in the same place) It is a true Mexican place call Jalopeno's (sp?) The owner will find you a table himself.

Chris

Rxdoxx
Premium,Ex-Mod 2002-13
Middle River, MD

True Mexican??
Bistek Arrechero? Menudo? They put Avacado on the Hamburger (Hambruguesa -sp?)
I'm getting excited- tell me more!
Wife is a militant smoker, they have a smoking section? If not will take some manouvers on my part to get her there.
If answers are yes, directions? I've been to Paul's, Carrol Creek Inn, and Regan's but don't know the area real well.
--

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I've never been, but will check it out sometime.
In the shopping center where Hechingers used to be is also:
Outback Steakhouse (as mentioned), Annapolis Cinema and Grill (movies and eats and beers = sweeeet), and the Country Buffet (not super-great food, but lots for cheap! Good Sunday brunch place).
Directions:
mapquest.com/directions/main.adp···=67&y=10)
These are actually to the Cinema Grill, but close enough. I'd tell you myself, but not sure where Middle River is!
KM

CHuntMD

join:2001-01-23
Upper Marlboro, MD
reply to Rxdoxx

Too small for smoking it really is a "hole in the wall"

Lots of mexican seafood (duh.. it is annapolis) Weekends it gets packed.

My Grandmother loves the "Country Buffet" and it really is not that bad especially for the price.

Chris

Rxdoxx
Premium,Ex-Mod 2002-13
Middle River, MD
reply to KoolMoe

Thanks, think I know the area, pre-wife used to work at Ross Dress for Less on Solomon Island Rd (Appleby's, Movies, Bed Bath & Beyond and a nice Amish market). So I know how to get close to it.

Just found one between Canton/Fells Point in Baltimore.
Josephines
2112 Fleet St 21231 410-327-6261

Sampled 3 appetizers
A dish divided with a red and green pesto, two slices of fried eggplant topped with jumbo lump crab and a hollandaise sauce ($10.95)
Muscles in garlic wine sauce. Rope grown (no grit) and I learned she sautees them, not steamed. Plump and super tender.
Calamari on angel hair pasta. Not fried- grilled and it also was tender beyond belief. (one was $8 one $9)
WE didn't get the special appetizer of soft shell crab on mini ravioli (but I was tempted.)
That and the bread to sop up the sauces, we both left full and happy for a $26 food bill. ANd we will be back.

About 2 miles east of the inner harbor. Small menu, but what they serve, I'm salivating on the keyboard just thinking of it.
--

HaYwIrE2
Politically Incorrect
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Liberal Hell

reply to Rxdoxx

I'm down in Texas now, but I lived up in St. Mary's County for over thirteen years. The only thing I liked about the east coast was the seafood. God! I miss Soft Shell Crabs! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

If you want the ab-so-lute best home cooked daily fresh seafood on the east coast, here's your chance...

Evans Seafood
St. George Island
Maryland Route 249
Piney Point, MD
(301) 994-2299
--
No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood.
[text was edited by author 2002-06-03 02:58:42]

jeepmang333

join:2002-06-07
Clarksburg, MD
reply to Rxdoxx

said by Rxdoxx:

Many years ago there was Gabrielle's (French country home) near Frederick/Iamsville. Haven't been there in many years, don't know if it still exists.

»www.gabrielsinn.com/ is still in going strong

Rxdoxx
Premium,Ex-Mod 2002-13
Middle River, MD

I can give only one thumbs up unfortunately. You made my evening.

Note to uber forum mod, Hey Boss Chimp, up for a drive???
--

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing

Sure, but not this weekend. Brother is getting married and a granddaughter is being born. One of the following weekends will be fine.
--
Hatten ar Din

fritzmp
Biker Tux
Premium
join:2001-08-29
Warrenton, VA
reply to Rxdoxx

Happy Harbor Deal MD .50 beer night and free oysters Thursdays. Good Biker hangout and that's Harley Davidson's not Schwins.
--
"If you can't think of any good quotes, make one up and attribute it to a smart dead guy." - Albert Einstein

rcdiver
Premium
join:2000-12-13
Monessen, PA

1 recommendation

reply to Rxdoxx

There is a place called "Sullivan's Steak and Beverage" in Laurel, on 198, just past the race track near the intersection of 197. OUTSTANDING food, great prices. My favorites are the chicken wings, philly cheese steaks and blooming onions, they go great with beer. My cholesterol goes up about 100 points every time I eat there.
     The service is impeccable! The bartenders tend to get a bit chatty with some customers and leave others waiting so I would recommend sitting in the restaurant side. But other than that, it's an A+ place in my book, I eat/drink there at least once a week.
--
I think, therefore my head hurts.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand
reply to fritzmp

said by fritzmp:
Happy Harbor Deal MD .50 beer night and free oysters Thursdays. Good Biker hangout and that's Harley Davidson's not Schwins.

It's a nice place for a beer and a hamburger but it's still a greasy spoon and local hangout. They even made the newspaper headlines a few weeks ago ..... Gun Fight/Shooting between rival biker gangs.

fritzmp
Biker Tux
Premium
join:2001-08-29
Warrenton, VA

said by Coma:
said by fritzmp:

It's a nice place for a beer and a hamburger but it's still a greasy spoon and local hangout. They even made the newspaper headlines a few weeks ago ..... Gun Fight/Shooting between rival biker gangs.
Oh I forgot fee entertainment.
--
"If you can't think of any good quotes, make one up and attribute it to a smart dead guy." - Albert Einstein

Rxdoxx
Premium,Ex-Mod 2002-13
Middle River, MD
reply to jeepmang333

said by jeepmang333:
said by Rxdoxx:

»www.gabrielsinn.com/ is still in going strong
Yessss! Just went there , new owner, upgraded menu from French provincial to more epicurian. Prices went up some also, but not a complaint from me, worth the little extra!
Not super gourmet but a very very nice dining time. They offer French and American styles. French is more, but if you go there, definitely choose French style. The appetizer looked like it wasn't going to stop. I thought about telling them to just wrap my dinner they must have brought a dozen different things to sample as an appetizer.
Then soup, dinner, salad (no lettuce-all field greens ), cheeses, and ice cream/sorbet. I was tempted to go out swinging on the Sycamore tree when they started with bread and Tapanade (I love tapanade better than Chimps love bananas)
Anyone who likes an afternoon drive to a nice meal, this is a gem. It is about 8-10 miles southeast of Frederick (65 mile drive for me, and my tastebuds were humming all the way home.

Jeepmang333, I can't thank you enough. I'm already planning getting back there. Anyone who is thinking about going there, get a map, and figure an extra 20 minutes for getting lost it seems like a country road to nowhere.

And now for the bonus HINT. If you were there last weekend you would have seen a couple of Chimps there, if you get my drift.... but I'm not going to ruin it by spelling it out...
--

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing

The other Gabriel's chimp was me. What a meal. 2 and a half hours of endless food coming to the table. I still have some in my pockets. Rxdoxx is the gourmet; I'm just an average customer. But the food and setting are outstanding. And Rxdoxx even put on clothing for the occasion, which was better.

Next stop is probably Mealey's in New Market.
--
Nose for Danger

jkonrad
Konman
Premium
join:2001-10-04
Mount Airy, MD
reply to rcdiver

Thanks for Sullivan's - those are the absolute best wings!

Rxdoxx
Premium,Ex-Mod 2002-13
Middle River, MD
reply to jeepmang333

Jeepmang333 what have you done to me?
I was there again last weekend
Tried the seafood crepe, and went off the standard price fix menu to order the Creme Brule desert.
It is 65 miles one way for me.
Five people- wife was playing matchmaker for her brother and a friend... a 2 & 1/2 hr relaxed meal was a perfect setting.
Jalapenos in Annapolis is next on my list

If I keep this up, Rxdoxx will have to change names with FATNESS
--

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
fishing

You can save travel time by just camping on their lawn.