uniqs
share rss forum feed

snapcase$
Mod 2002
join:2001-02-20
Purgatory

File Sharing Poll

--
"Big deal... death comes with the territory. See you in Disneyland!" - Richard Ramirez

hep cat
do da dirdy bird

join:2001-02-17
Decatur, GA
Now that's a good way to find out what everyone is using.

projectHUMAN

join:2000-07-25
Dallas, TX
I would rather have Napster if it didn't have the filters but now I use WinMX.

snapcase$
Mod 2002
Purgatory
reply to snapcase$
Looks like WinMX is leading by quite a significant margin, as expected. It would be nice if we could get some more people to vote so we could really receive a broad view of what varying people are using.
--
"Big deal... death comes with the territory. See you in Disneyland!" - Richard Ramirez

JSY
Premium
join:2000-04-05
Elmhurst, NY
reply to snapcase$
Maybe they can put this poll on the front page like the regular ones...

snapcase$
Mod 2002
Purgatory
I don't think this is worthy to be placed on the front page but thanks for the suggestion.

WildCatBoy recently held a firewall poll in the Security forum and it's now placed on the top of the page along with the rest of the links (To the right in red). I was thinking that maybe something similar could be done here. So, how about it Justin?
--

Coriolis3
Premium
join:2001-03-09
Fredericton, NB
reply to snapcase$
Wow! I had no idea so many MP3 sites existed. I gotta check out this forum more often.

BTW - cool poll!

Dooby
Premium
join:2001-05-08
The Boonies
kudos:2
reply to snapcase$
As said by Snapcase:
quote:
I don't think this is worthy to be placed on the front page but thanks for the suggestion.
Modesty.. modesty Its a fantastic poll!

Thumbs up! You've got my vote.

I think hotline is greatly underestimated, although its ranking is reasonable so far.

This poll needs more accessibility to everyone. It would be interesting to see how it turns out with many more votes.

Snapcase does it again!

Doobs

Dooby
Premium
The Boonies
reply to snapcase$
Just an extra post to get this back at the top of the list.

I am curious to see where it goes. 87 votes is not really enough to be a valid poll.

Maybe a more catchy title Snapcase?

Keeping an eye on this..

Doobs

brandn8

join:2001-02-25
United State
reply to snapcase$
i never heard of hotline until now. Can someone give me some pros and cons of it. I'm pretty much just a winmx/audiogalaxy user.
--
*brandon*

snapcase$
Mod 2002
Purgatory
reply to Dooby
Maybe what we need is a moderator to come by and check this out. It really would be nice if this could be linked at the top of this forum along with the links already there for Shoutcast, the Winamp forums, and numerous MP3 utilities like the firewall poll is currently in the Security forum. That way, it would always be easily accessible and would receive more votes all the time and therefore, resulting in a accurate and through reference point.
--

snapcase$
Mod 2002
Purgatory
reply to brandn8
said by brandn888:
i never heard of hotline until now. Can someone give me some pros and cons of it.
You will find a ton of information on Hotline in these threads:

»Napster? Try Hotline
»HOTLINE
»How do you use Hotline???????
--

Dooby
Premium
The Boonies
reply to snapcase$
Sounds like a good idea.. the problem is getting a Moderator to stop by. That would be more along your capabilities than mine. I am not fully up together on all the qwerks on DSLR, so how to get a Moderator in here is beyond me..lol.

I suppose if it runs long enough.. and stays relatively high in the list.. a Moderator would stop by and might be generous enough to oblige you

Definitely needs the broader audience though. Keep maintaining it and we'll see what happens.

Another thing I was thinking about, was that you could inform the relative companies that have made the programs listed by you, that DSLR is running a survey on the most popular and highly regarded file sharing programs on the market. I am sure that they will be interested. I saw in the Hotline Website today the quote "Hotline is regarded as the next program to replace Napster"...lol

They havent seen this poll yet..

I am sure it will be good publicity for DSLR too.

Anyway.. just a few things to consider.

Doobs

P.S. Is there anyway to prevent multiple polling by the same person?

snapcase$
Mod 2002
Purgatory
said by Dooby:
Is there anyway to prevent multiple polling by the same person?
If you mean a way to stop one person from voting in the same poll, the polls here at DSLR are tracked by IP addresses. You are allotted one vote per poll.
--

Dooby
Premium
The Boonies
I find it amazing that Napster is still getting a high vote... considering the fact that it takes a LONG time to track down a banned song.

It is still possible to find what you are looking for.. but you are relying on people changing their file names to avoid filtering. Even then.. it is hard.

Not only that.. there are so many files floating about with odd names because of it..lol. My hard drive is filled with strangely named MP3s.

shaka
Swimming With Sharks
Premium
join:2000-12-13
AtTheBeach
reply to snapcase$
I haven't downloaded music for quite a while. I'm just at a point where I don't know what to download. I still use Napster with Napigator. I haven't tried anything else. But if all else fails I will try WinMX like the other guys. Oh well we will see.:)
--
You need help with anything automotive you ask me. If I need help anything DSL or computers I'll ask you.

System
reply to snapcase$
Only 10% for IRC? Hehe thats where all the good stuff is! You guys are surely missing out!

»www.farscape-central.com

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1
reply to snapcase$
said by Snapcase:
You are allotted one vote per poll.

But I have 5 IPs?

Dooby
Premium
The Boonies
reply to snapcase$
To Snapcase.. and to anybody who likes the new poll feature.

Just as a matter of interest.. Click here.

I would be really interested in your opinion.

Thanks,

Doobs

snapcase$
Mod 2002
Purgatory
reply to snapcase$
Bump.

dose
Premium
join:2000-10-09
South Korea
reply to snapcase$
Wow winmx is really kicking some ass here...i should try it out..

thanks for this poll!

Kid Bluez
Strumming Da Bluez

join:2001-02-10
fah
reply to snapcase$

New Media

Another one IF you're a big U2 fan is New Media. U2 24/7 and lots of it. »www.u2wdd.org/newmedia-mb/ I've seen other bands listed, but they're asking that only U2 be shared.

snapcase$
Mod 2002
Purgatory

reply to snapcase$

Re: File Sharing Poll

Well, I IM'ed Justin and we now have the poll linked at the top of the forum.

Thanks, Justin!!!
--
"Big deal... death comes with the territory. See you in Disneyland!" - Richard Ramirez (sic)
[text was edited by author 2001-05-26 16:25:07]

CabMonk
Gold Fish Boy
Premium
join:2001-03-09
Toronto
Hey, snapcase. It's good to see your big bald head on the top of this page. I was thinking you would be the best for it.:):)
--
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

PatientGuy
I'M Way Deep Into Nothing Special
Premium
join:2000-12-11
Arlington, VA
reply to snapcase$
Hehehe Judging by the number of options in your pole I'd say the RIAA has their work cut out for them.

mysterio1

join:2000-09-03
Chicago, IL
reply to snapcase$
If you add both kazaa and morpheus together they get 14 percent, second place to winmx. kazaa and morpheus are identical programs sharing from each other. One of my favorites go kazaa.

kg
Premium
join:1999-11-06
Monrovia, CA
reply to projectHUMAN
said by Prezshinra:
I would rather have Napster if it didn't have the filters but now I use WinMX.
I agree, if Napster was normal i would stick with it!...kg

TravisB
Premium,Mod
join:2000-02-22
Columbia, MO
I think Morpheus is schweet for us stuck on 56k, and for broadband people. It downloads from more than one person, which on 56k, REALLY HELPS. On DSL, it might not matter much considering you have to wait a meer minute or so to get a song But I like it, quick, and has most every song I've ever looked up.
--
My dogs name is biscuit, it likes biscuits... isn't that odd?

richieace

join:2000-10-28
Copiague, NY
reply to snapcase$
Tried Morpheus tonight for the 1st time, works perfect!

Rich

battlesite
Premium
join:2001-03-24
Burbank, CA
reply to snapcase$
I voted for Winmx because I like its format better. But lately I have noticed that there are a lot of songs that I cannot find on Winmx, that do turn up in Morpheus. I see in the MP3 Forum that some other people have also had this same experience.