WildGod8
God Is Dead
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
NYC

WildGod8

Premium Member

Cant play video or hear audio? LIST OF CODECs

This is a topic that is discussed over and over. Many people have problems when trying to view or hear media files and 99.9% of the time it is due to a lack of the proper codec.
Perhaps we can all list some and then Ryo or Araina can link it up top.

Nimo Codepack - Solves most playback problems.
SLD Codepack - Another pack of codecs.

Please feel free to add to this list so we can have a full list of available codecs
[text was edited by author 2002-12-01 15:29:23]

xxnoelziexx
Noc
Premium Member
join:2002-04-06
London

xxnoelziexx

Premium Member

This does pop up a lot wild.

I use this below loads of tools and codecs.

ACE Mega CoDecS Pack
version 4.31
»divxstation.com/software ··· ?sId=135

version 5
»www.divx-digest.com/soft ··· dec.html
wssddc
join:2001-08-21
Bedford, MA

wssddc to WildGod8

to WildGod8
What I think would be interesting would be a test suite - a collection of very short clips using various video and audio codecs. Does such a thing exist?

Jed6
Premium Member
join:2002-05-16
Atlanta, GA

Jed6 to WildGod8

Premium Member

to WildGod8
This should be at the top of the forum because I cannot count how many times i have referred people to the Nimo site.

winsyrstrife
River City Bounce
Premium Member
join:2002-04-30
Brooklyn, NY

winsyrstrife to WildGod8

Premium Member

to WildGod8
If you're really interested in information regarding the codecs, here's a great site to check out. It's been developed by many people within the Usenet community (including myself). Hope this helps.

»www.abmefaq.net/codec.html

Try to ignore the site titles.

ninersfan
join:2001-02-09
Hayward, CA

ninersfan to WildGod8

to WildGod8
About the Nimo codec pack, I would add this caveat:

There are two versions of these...collections of codecs, filters and tools that you'll find useful.

Most people will find the Lite version to be all they need... this contains only the most frequently used codecs and filters. The only advantages of the pro version are when u encode so its useless getting the pro version if u only watch movies and play games.

Nimo Codec Pack - LITE
Date: 27 August 2002 Size: 1.19 MB Version: 1.0
»www.divx-digest.com/soft ··· ack.html
www.btinternet.com/~nimosiro/lite.html

If you need some of the less common Codecs or just have to have everything available then the full Nimo Pack* is the one for you (but you probably don't need all that are included)

Nimo Codec Pack - FULL*
Date : 23 August 2002 Size: 6.79 MB Version: 5.0 build 8
»www.divx-digest.com/soft ··· ack.html

Mirror link 1: »www.geocities.com/nimocodec/
(currently offering Nimo Codec Pack v5.0 build 7)
Official Download Page:
»www.btinternet.com/~nimosiro/
The websites above list which each codec pack contain.

Disclaimer: As with anything else, read everything and pay attention to any warnings... Follow all directions when installing any software...

*WARNING: The free "Pro" version of the DivX 5.0 codec (contained in this codec pack) contains adware/spyware, which means that third party programs must be installed in order for this program to work during DivX encoding (DivX playback does not require the adware/spyware programs to be runnning). These third party programs are programs that displays advertising on your computer and/or retrieves information from your computer about your browsing/purchasing habits.

(No problem here though as even if you decide to go with the unneccessary DiVx 5, any spyware installed can be safely detected and removed by the current cleaners of choice, Ad-aware 5.83 &/or Spybot Search & Destroy)

Anyway, my suggestion is to consider going with the lite version as it installs all the common and most used codecs
the full nimo pack installs tons of them....about 90% of which (most users) will never need.

Required software:
Microsoft DirectX and DXMedia
»www.microsoft.com/window ··· ault.asp
Desim
join:2001-11-03
Portland, OR

Desim to WildGod8

to WildGod8
I listed an utiltiy to find out what codec you need and what codec you have installed.

Its a must for people who frequently are lost. and it also helps you narrow down the source of problem. ie. if the file is courrpt or you don't have the codec.

www.headbands.com/gspot/

WildGod8
God Is Dead
Premium Member
NYC

WildGod8

Premium Member

MS Codec Download Package
MovieCodec.com
dBpowerAmpv

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver to WildGod8

to WildGod8
I created an FAQ item on this very topic, I will make sure that I add these links to the FAQ item if they are not already there.

WildGod8
God Is Dead
Premium Member
NYC

WildGod8

Premium Member

Noticed this tip from Desim See Profile in another thread and thought it would fit in well here.

»www.headbands.com/gspot/

This free program:

"Determine what codec a file uses and what codec your system will use to play it

Full support for OGG media files as well as AVI stream formats

Identifies MPEG (.mpg), QuickTime (.mov), RealMedia (.rm), Windows Media (.wma / .asf), Flash (.swf) and others; will attempt a DirectShow render those (and any other) file, and report either the error or detailed results.

Supports VFW, ACM, DirectShow and DMO codec types (audio and video)

Offers painstaking detail about installed details codecs, culled from seven internal sources & external database of 300 video and 150 audio codec types

Drag and Drop and "Send To" support, multi-file (batch) processing support

Copy/Paste and text export w/ user configurable format

Advanced UI including dual-mode and hyperlinked persistent tool tips, both unique to GSpot.

Win95/98/NT/2K/XP

No Install

raw
War Eagle
Premium Member
join:2001-01-17
Madison, AL

raw

Premium Member

said by WildGod8:
Noticed this tip from Desim See Profile in another thread and thought it would fit in well here.

»www.headbands.com/gspot/
Desim See Profile mentioned it above but did not link to it. Thanks for making it easy for us lazy types.

WildGod8
God Is Dead
Premium Member
NYC

WildGod8

Premium Member

wow dont know what im smoking didnt eve see it up there lol

hardflip
Mindfield
Premium Member
join:2002-02-28
Andover, MA

hardflip to WildGod8

Premium Member

to WildGod8
I would like to add ffdshow because I love it. It handles any divx and xvid (or any avi for that matter) and the video quality is great. It has a lot of settings to add to or adjust the video quality. I would highly recommend it:)

»cutka.szm.sk/ffdshow/

ninersfan
join:2001-02-09
Hayward, CA

ninersfan

said by hardflip:
I would like to add ffdshow because I love it.
»cutka.szm.sk/ffdshow/
I didn't see a working download link for ffdshow at the site above, so here's a mirror:

»www.afterdawn.com/softwa ··· show.cfm

FFDSHOW is a DirectShow decoding filter for decompressing DivX, XviD, WMV, MPEG-1

and MPEG-2 movies.

Filesize: 0.52 Mb

hardflip
Mindfield
Premium Member
join:2002-02-28
Andover, MA

hardflip to WildGod8

Premium Member

to WildGod8
Here's a download page of all the versions of ffdshow

»sourceforge.net/project/ ··· id=53761

The alpha versions have been stable for me, but earlier versions can be found here if someone needs them

[text was edited by author 2002-12-04 18:31:34]

Tha ReAlEsT
The King Is Back, Where My Crown At?
Premium Member
join:2002-09-28
the past

Tha ReAlEsT to WildGod8

Premium Member

to WildGod8
ace give u the most codecs. onlything i dont like is if u unistall it, it take away some of the codec that was there before you installed it.

the_wolf
Go Dawgs Sic 'Em
Premium Member
join:1999-12-24
Alpharetta, GA

the_wolf

Premium Member

The Nemo Codec link on the first post is not correct anymore. Here is the new official site for it.

»nimo.titanesk.com