Optimized
MVM,
join:2001-05-03
Ringwood, NJ

1 recommendation

Optimized

MVM,

[To Go] Broadband To Go - FAQ Input

I am very excited that we now have a forum to discuss Broadband on the Go. I have started to compile valuable information to assist our community in finding Broadband and Hotspot access while on the go in a FAQ.

There are actually two of them:

Broadband to Go

WiFi Hotspots

It will take some time for us to compile all the data that is available. With your help we can transform these FAQ's into excellent resources for everyone. If you come across Broadband on the Go/Hotspots related information that you feel would be useful please post it in this thread. Please make sure you include links whenever possible.

Thank You

File Quit
Mac Geek
Premium Member
join:2002-11-28
Richmond, TX

1 recommendation

File Quit

Premium Member

From the [To Go] Wireless Internet Thread,

When your on the road, plane, train, whatever, when you come to a town, how can you find wireless access for free or fee? Well, if you want to check before you leave, check out »www.boingo.com[?] . They have a free locator to search some hotspots. If you have your notebook accessible, and want to see if there's access there try a program such as Network Stumbler »www.netstumbler.com[?] . (not compatible with all brands of cards/chipsets) It will tell you the SSID of the network, encryption or not, channel #, vendor, everything you would want to know. You can then put the SSID into your wireless card software and see if they have free access. What is a fun thing to do, which I do frequently on the road is, when you stop for gas, or to rest run Netstmbler to see if you can find any access points to connect to. You will be surprised what you can find .

Mospaw
My socks don't match.

join:2001-01-08
New Braunfels, TX

Mospaw

We also have two Notebook-related FAQs.

General Notebook FAQs

and

Notebook Reviews

Please take a look around, and if you have a review or question, we'd love to see it.