uniqs
OS1
Premium Member
join:2004-03-22
Trenton, NJ

OS1

Premium Member

WRV54G VPN

Is it possible to VPN the router via vpn client software suck as the built in one in xp-pro or cisco? I have the WRV54G?
OS1

1 edit

OS1

Premium Member

Any1

JonAlthoff
Premium Member
join:2003-07-03
Canal Winchester, OH

JonAlthoff to OS1

Premium Member

to OS1
I was finally able to get a VPN client to connect to a WRV54G. I used a dial-up account with The GreenBow VPN client. www.thegreenbow.com

I cannot however get it to work going through a WRT54G at the shop. Yet that is. I am going to try other firmware for the WRT54G and see what happens.
OS1
Premium Member
join:2004-03-22
Trenton, NJ

OS1

Premium Member

Can you please post your config examples anything to make this to work i have the same software

JonAlthoff
I was finally able to get a VPN client to connect to a WRV54G. I used a dial-up account with The GreenBow VPN client. www.thegreenbow.com

JonAlthoff
Premium Member
Canal Winchester, OH

JonAlthoff

Premium Member

I created my files but you can find the same information on the web-site for GreenBow.

»www.thegreenbow.fr/doc/v ··· s_en.pdf

I was able to do more testing. I can make dial-up connections via VPN with no problems. I cannot make VPN connections via VPN over a network with a Linksys WRT54G router. I would guess that by connecting a computer directly to the DSL or Cable modem I could make a connection without problems.

wrv54g user
@gatsteel.com

wrv54g user to OS1

Anon

to OS1
GreenBow support indicates that there is a firmware issue with the WRV54G VPN Router and they do not have a VPN Client that will currently work with the above Router.

JonAlthoff
Premium Member
Canal Winchester, OH

JonAlthoff

Premium Member

I spoke with Eric from Greenbow in detail. I've also figured out what works and doesn't. The WRV54G seems to use FreeS/WAN version 1.99. This does not allow NAT-T or NAT Transversal I believe it is. Therefore if your Greenbow client has a Public IP address it will work. If your Greenbow Client is behind a router with NAT it will not, I guess, transverse the NAT. Linksys needs to update the firmware to include a patch for FreeS/WAN or a newer version of it. The same thing would apply to SSH Sentinel or SafeNet.

Rich Hern
@cavtel.net

Rich Hern to OS1

Anon

to OS1
I have chatted and spoken with various techs at linksys. I have been assured that I should be able to get the WRV54G (with dsl internet connection) connected to my windows xp laptop (using dialup isp) if I only follow the instructions on the manual. I have tried following the instructions literaly dozens of times without any positive results. Is it only me or is someone else experiencing the same problem?

cyberpost
join:2004-05-15
Osgoode, ON

cyberpost

said by Rich Hern:
I have chatted and spoken with various techs at linksys. I have been assured that I should be able to get the WRV54G (with dsl internet connection) connected to my windows xp laptop (using dialup isp) if I only follow the instructions on the manual. I have tried following the instructions literaly dozens of times without any positive results. Is it only me or is someone else experiencing the same problem?

I have had the same issue. I got the GreenBow client to work just fine though after a bunch of tinkering. I found that looking at the syslog output from the WRV54G (great job Linksys!) + the Greenbow client's console messages helped me track down the last couple of issues.

Jon Althoff's (sp?) information on his own experiences with the Greenbow client proved invaluable.

/Eric