uniqs
Mark0824
join:2001-12-28
Marietta, GA

1 edit

Mark0824

[Equipment] 2 Line 5.8GHZ Phone Systems

Hi,

I am using the Pansonic 2.4ghz KX-TG2740 expandable, aswering machine, speakerphone, 2 line system with Broadvoice and it works great.

I was wondering if anyone is using a simlar phone system but instad of 2.4ghz I am looking for 5.8ghz.

I have a 2.4ghz wireless router, another 2.4ghz 2 phone system and a 2.4ghz baby monitor.

Thanks,

Mark
JTDC
join:2000-02-07
Washington, DC

JTDC

I have been searching for the last few months for a multi-line 5.8 ghz phone as well, but have been unsuccessful in finding one anywhere.

SRT10
Cambridge
join:2003-11-14
Cambridge, ON

SRT10

the Uniden 8885 5.8ghz models should cover all that I think. comes with base unit (keypad speaker phone display and 1 phone unit, along with 2 additional base units, so 3 phones and all the bells and whistles) 179.99 Costco CDN$. I'm sure I read baby monitor ability as I was looking for that.
hmm, you mention multiline. Isn't miltiline dependable on provider and not phone? I had the multilines landline with anyphone at my home here and worked fine.
joelfreak
join:2000-12-25
Huntington, NY

joelfreak

I met with a bunch of different cordless phone vendors at CES about 2 line 5.8's, and I was promised by Uniden and Vtech a unit in Q2...so...figgure by the end of the year. They admitted that it is a hole in everyones product lines.

SRT10
Cambridge
join:2003-11-14
Cambridge, ON

1 edit

SRT10

ya, sorry, didn't figure the original posters 2 line phone need till I reread it, but I can't help him out with the "wouter" issue I will be of no use then, just got VoIP myself with the Unidens. (that was a small poke in the ribs )
vonage123
join:2004-02-09
Brooklyn, NY

vonage123 to Mark0824

to Mark0824
(Panasonic)
I was told by Panasonic and by some some electronic stores that by summer 2004 Panasonic is coming out with a 5.8GHz Expandble, digital VM.... and all the other features the other ones have!!:)
So wait and see!!
MikeB3
join:2004-01-20
Los Altos, CA

MikeB3

I have a single line 5.8Ghz phone system, and plan on implementing Asterisk to solve this problem (may be overkill).

I noted on all the 2 line systems I saw - that they had a flaw from my perspective (who wanted to have one line PSTN and the other VoIP) - it didn't allow selection of which line one picked up. Incoming calls are no problem, but from an outgoing perspective, one wants to choose whether it is PSTN or VoIP.

Is this a similiar requirement to others?
haebby
join:2004-04-03

haebby

said by MikeB3:
I noted on all the 2 line systems I saw - that they had a flaw from my perspective (who wanted to have one line PSTN and the other VoIP) - it didn't allow selection of which line one picked up. Incoming calls are no problem, but from an outgoing perspective, one wants to choose whether it is PSTN or VoIP.

Is this a similiar requirement to others?

The Siemens Gigaset allows you to do exactly this - nice feature. But be warned - the quality of the Siemens phones is the worst I ever experienced with any phone. I certainly do *not* recommend buying them.
MikeB3
join:2004-01-20
Los Altos, CA

MikeB3

Thanks for the info.

The feedback on the Gigasets is exactly what I have heard looking for the reviews on places like Amazon ... so I have avoided looking at them altogether.

I'm interested in others that do have this feature - sounds like others may be coming out this year.

Thanks

Mike

aaronfitz
Premium Member
join:2004-03-06
Cedar Rapids, IA

aaronfitz to SRT10

Premium Member

to SRT10
With some creative wiring inside a phone jack you can make two completely seperate lines combine to look like a multiline POTS. For line 1 (usually the only one turned on by a telco) the inside pair of wires are active. The outer two wires run line 2. If you look closely, some instruments with phone jack hookups only have two wires inside, and some have four. Same with phone wires that go from the jack->phone.
vonage123
Brooklyn, NY

vonage123

and here they are!! (only one line)
»catalog2.panasonic.com/w ··· -TG5240M
said by vonage123:
(Panasonic)
I was told by Panasonic and by some some electronic stores that by summer 2004 Panasonic is coming out with a 5.8GHz Expandble, digital VM.... and all the other features the other ones have!!:)
So wait and see!!

MotoVT
Vonage User Since Jan 2004
join:2002-12-03
Butler, PA

MotoVT to MikeB3

to MikeB3
said by MikeB3:
Thanks for the info.

The feedback on the Gigasets is exactly what I have heard looking for the reviews on places like Amazon ... so I have avoided looking at them altogether.

I'm interested in others that do have this feature - sounds like others may be coming out this year.

Thanks

Mike

I can vouch for the Siemens lack of quality. It didn't behave well at all with Vonage and even my parent's gigaset 2415 is shitting itself slowly but surely.
The Uniden TRU8885-2 is a single line phone. I realize you are looking for a two line phone but if all else fails, and you need a 5.8ghz unit, this one is hard to beat.
Matter of fact, I bought one for my parents as an early anniversery gift. I will be in S. Florida this week to help them set it up.

aaronfitz
Premium Member
join:2004-03-06
Cedar Rapids, IA

1 edit

aaronfitz

Premium Member

..Is that more Uniden pimping I see?
MotoVT
Butler, PA

MotoVT to Mark0824

to Mark0824
Of course!
x94blair3
join:2003-01-10
Wyoming, MI

x94blair3 to Mark0824

to Mark0824
Is this Uniden setup one of the more popular ones? Now that I'm going with vonage we'll need a better phone solution.

-Nick
MotoVT
Butler, PA

MotoVT

Absolutely nick!

I've run this very phone over a month now on Vonage. NO issues at all. Incredible voice clarity and range is actually further than I thought. I went all the way down the end of my road to a cul de sac at least 900 or so feet and if I was positioned facing my townhouse, I got telme coming through ok. 8008555355 (news etc.....good way to get a voice coming through to test your phone distance).

Not to mention many nice features that make this phone a pleasure to use.

If you can find a good deal on ebay, I would go for it. I did. Twice. One unit for me and one for my parents. I will be hooking it up this weekend for them in Florida.
x94blair3
Wyoming, MI

x94blair3 to Mark0824

to Mark0824
I see a listing on ebay for the 8885-2 for $129.99 (buy it now) + 20 shipping for $149. Are there better deals than that?

I see most places have it for $170+ and I thought about getting it from newegg since I've had luck with them in the past. However $20 or more savings might be worth the "risk".

-Nick
MotoVT
Butler, PA

1 edit

MotoVT

Nope. That's a pretty good deal if you ask me!

For the phone anyway. 20 bucks to ship is bullshit! He's trying to make money off the shipping fees.
marc_rcn
join:2001-12-02
Arlington, MA

marc_rcn

Uniden put out a press-release touting a 2-line 5.8GHz multi-handset model back in December - before CES. The model number is TRU-8886 and the claimed March availability at resellers.

Nothing out there yet ...

I currently have a Siemens 2400 series and *LOVE* the feature-set, but HATE the handsets. 5 out of 8 have VERY sticky buttons (the 1 always seems to be the 1st to go).

I bought a 4-line V-tech just to give me an additional location besides my office to access all 4 lines (2 voip, 2 pots), but it is wreaking havoc with the Siemens and 802.11g router.

I am waiting VERY PATIENTLY for a real solution - but I hope it's soon!

-mj
ieee1394
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Corte Madera, CA

ieee1394 to Mark0824

Premium Member

to Mark0824
My Gigaset 2420 system has never been a problem with POTS, VOIP (vonage or broadvox), or a combination of both. Right now I'm using Broadvox on both lines without a problem. The system can be configured to lock out access to lines from the cordless extensions or to automatically select lines or to allow the user to select a line.

Recently, though, my cordless units are suffering from interference which I'm thinking is probably due to a proliferation of WIFI gear in my neighborhood (these are 2.4GHz phones). My solution will be to switch to a couple of 5.8GHz standalone wireless phones and switch back to corded phones for the rest of the house. I'm done with investing too much money in these proprietary cordless systems where the manufacturers refuse to make newer handsets compatible with older equipment. That's what turned me off on the Gigaset in the first place. When the newer 88xx series came out the old handsets were discontinued and the new ones are incompatible. So if the old ones break (or if you want to continue expanding the system) you have to go to eBay to find additional units. So you either buy all of the handsets at the start (and hope they never break) or you settle for whatever number you started with.
IanR
join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

IanR to Mark0824

to Mark0824
I bought the Uniden $179 5.8 3 phone set from Costco also. It's only single line (which was my requirement). I am very happy with it. Some people feel the sound quality is "poor" however I happen to like the audio quality and sound. It's a lot better than my previous Siemens 2420 2.4 units which...well fell apart.
MotoVT
Butler, PA

MotoVT

I concur. The voice quality compared to the Siemens 2415 phone is much better. Dad says I no longer sound like I am talking in a tin can.
vonage123
Brooklyn, NY

vonage123 to Mark0824

to Mark0824
Dear Mr. ****

Re: Product Information
Thank you for your inquiry. The model KX-TG6500 and KX-TG6502 will be
released in August, which is our 2-Line 5.8 GHz cordless phone.

Thank You,
Panasonic Consumer Support
x94blair3
Wyoming, MI

x94blair3 to Mark0824

to Mark0824
I see that costco is running a $30 off coupon for the Uniden 3HS setup. That lowers it to $149.99 for 3 phones. The coupon is for sale on ebay and it says "also available at costco.com". I can only assume that means it's got a coupon code that could be entered online.

Two problems. I don't have the coupon and I'm not a costco member...Guess I'll run down a setup on ebay.

I'm guessing a few people have bought them from costco which is why there's a rash of the them for sale now. Buy at $149.99 and sell for $200 on ebay.

-Nick

Jpattiso
join:2001-05-02
Tenafly, NJ

Jpattiso to vonage123

to vonage123
Are the Panasonic 5.8 phones transmitting in 5.8 for both directions?
ra8
join:2003-04-23
Chicago, IL

ra8 to Mark0824

to Mark0824
Just got an email from Uniden regarding the 2line 5.8 G phone. She said the phone will be available to retailers in July!!! Good news for those of us that have VOIP as well as a POTS line..!! Total convenience

lostwhisper
join:2004-05-22

lostwhisper

said by ra8:
Just got an email from Uniden regarding the 2line 5.8 G phone. She said the phone will be available to retailers in July!!! Good news for those of us that have VOIP as well as a POTS line..!! Total convenience

do a search for Uniden TRU8866
there are places that have them in stock since this past monday
funny that its not listed on unidens own website still
if anyone buys one would love to hear a review
ra8
join:2003-04-23
Chicago, IL

ra8

You are correct.. I went to one website and their offering a preorder in early July. For the Uniden Tru-8866-2 I belive it was going for 186.00. I'm putting my name on the list!

montee4
Premium Member
join:2004-02-15
Chicago, IL

montee4

Premium Member

The TRU8866 looks to have the exact same features as the TRU8865 but with 2 line capability.

Anyone know if they are making one with an answering machine, similar to the TRU8885 (one line model?)
MotoVT
Butler, PA

MotoVT to Mark0824

to Mark0824
Looks like we are getting a bunch of Uniden freaks!