Malden, MA

4 edits

2 recommendations

sonofjay to Randy Bell

MVM

to Randy Bell

We may have a winner!

EUREKA IT WORKS!

**okay I have to let everyone one know that what worked in my situation my not necessarily work for everyone and that making changes to driver files on your PC should only be done as a last resort and even then only if you are willing to live with the consequences of any crashes or loss of use of your PC. Also, this is only to be used by people with a crippled copy of NIS/NPF 2002 currently installed on their WinXP machine only. People who have done a roll-back to pre-May 12 will not profit by this, nor will anyone suffering some other problem with NIS/NPF 2003/2004/**

Having said that, using the fix that worked for me, you DO NOT have to replace any additional files. You need simply to put a file that does not already exist in a location on your PC. Period! You are not removing or replacing any file! Additionally I should add that only the posters here in this thread intimately involved with this should try this until we have a better understanding of what if any problems may arise.

Again a word of caution. The steps outline below are simple by can potentially have adverse affects on your system.

Steps to take

• download, save and unzip file symids.zip

• scan it with whatever anti-virus software you use

• copy the file to your the following location: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ (*you should NOT be prompted to replace any file when you do this. If you are stop immediately and hit the cancel button*)

• reboot your PC

• test your browsing speed by going to a site that was slow in the past

• report your results here so that others can benefit and help you if needed.

• symids.zip
    21014 bytes

EDIT: I should add that this has corrected all know issues in my case including a) having mulitple logs messages being writting every second and b)slow websurfing and high CPU utiliziation both with Parental Controls turned on & off.

jvmorris
    I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
    MVM
    join:2001-04-03
    Reston, VA

1 recommendation

jvmorris

MVM

So, . . . It Worked!!!

Fancy that!

You left out a caveat: This is only to be used by people with a crippled copy of NIS/NPF 2002 currently installed on their machine. People who have done a roll-back to pre-May 12 will not profit by this, nor will anyone suffering some other problem with NIS/NPF 2003/2004.

sonofjay
    Mission Accomplished - Bush May 1, 2003
    MVM
    join:2001-05-14
    Malden, MA

sonofjay

MVM

Thanks for pointing that out JVM. I've updated the caution at the top the my original post.

jvmorris
    MVM
    Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

Doncha sorta wonder how Symantec managed to put out a LiveUpdate for this that got installed on some people's machines, but not on others?

I'm still puzzled by that one.
    blacksteel
    join:2004-05-31

blacksteel to sonofjay

to sonofjay
    would using system restore repair any damage done to my system by this method?(I don't want to risk my computer)

jvmorris
    MVM
    Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

said by blacksteel:
    would using system restore repair any damage done to my system by this method?(I don't want to risk my computer)
    At this point, based on far too many recent experiences, I think it would always be a good point to set a System Restore benchmark before running a LiveUpdate.

sonofjay
    MVM
    Malden, MA

4 edits

sonofjay to blacksteel

MVM

to blacksteel
    said by blacksteel:

Assuming it was monitoring your C Drive then yes. Here is a Microsoft Article that covers what file extensions are monitored: Monitored File Extensions

However I'll repeat what I said above, you do not have to replace any files to incorporate this fix. Your simply returning a file that LU removed.

Having said all that, you are right exercise caution and I would do the following:

•before doing the fix above, manually create a system restore point and give it a name that you will easily recognize
    •carefully follow the "fix" steps above
    •after you reboot check to see if all is well. If not use system restore to revert back to your manually restore point.
    •be sure to report your findings back here

Sparrow
    Crystal Sky
    Premium Member
    join:2002-12-03
    Sachakhand

2 recommendations

Sparrow to jvmorris

Premium Member

to jvmorris
    said by Gwellin:
    I hate to throw another file into this mess,...
    Never fear throwing another file in. I am saving every single one of them, (and this thread) as this is how problems are solved.
    Every little bit helps put the pieces of the puzzle together for our super-sleuths here.
    said by sonofjay:
    EUREKA IT WORKS!

**okay I have to let everyone one know that what worked in my situation my not necessarily work for everyone and that making changes to driver files on your PC should only be done as a last resort and even then only if you are willing to live with the consequences of any crashes or loss of use of your PC. Also, this is only to be used by people with a crippled copy of NIS/NPF 2002 currently installed on their machine. People who have done a roll-back to pre-May 12 will not profit by this, nor will anyone suffering some other problem with NIS/NPF 2003/2004/**
    Absolutely fantastic, sonofjay See Profile!

I have chalked my slowdowns up to MS XP SP2 RC1 and some minor conflicts that I am hoping will be ironed out with the SP2 RC2.

Kudos to all of you who came together and worked so hard on this thread.
    said by joelbav0:
    Hey, Reese, RU still there? I would like to say, "Thank You" for your time and willingness to enter "the lion's den" on this subject (I hope this is a forum on which you were heard, otherwise people are gonna think I'm talkin' to the voices in my head again...!:o) No voices - he was here, and a pleasant surprise as well.
    said by jvmorris:
    I believe we are likely to hear from Reese again, but probably not before Tuesday. If you go through what these guys go through all the time, you value little things like a three-day weekend (when you have the opportunity) and I'm not going to begrudge him that. At the moment, I would guess that Reese is as far away from his PC as he can get!
    Can you imagine going through this every day, eight hours a day, during a 40 hour (+/-) week?
    said by jvmorris:
    Doncha sorta wonder how Symantec managed to put out a LiveUpdate for this that got installed on some people's machines, but not on others?

I'm still puzzled by that one.
    Yup...

jvmorris
    MVM
    Reston, VA

3 recommendations

jvmorris to sonofjay

MVM

to sonofjay
    Incidentally, I've already put up notices at Computer Cops, Gladiator, and Wilders referencing your post.

And I would encourage anyone who visits the other HTML-based security forums to feel free to do the same. There are quite likely NIS/NPF 2002 users scattered all over the place, about whom I've never heard who would probably appreciate a heads-up.

I'm going to hold off on the NNTP newsgroups, however, until billz comes down off the mountain and validates it, however!

sonofjay
    MVM
    Malden, MA

1 edit

2 recommendations

sonofjay

MVM

said by jvmorris:
    Incidentally, I've already put up notices at Computer Cops, Gladiator, and Wilders referencing your post.

JVM I cannot say enough!

I was anxiously waiting for a second person to come along and confirm what I had seen. And now that Gwellin See Profile has I think we are all on the right path.

So , I'd like to thank EVERYONE for all the effort that was put trying to find resolution to this very limiting and annoying bug. The list of names is too long to list but hopefully you know who you all are . However, I would be remiss if I did not specifically point out JVM's contributions especially knowing that he does not even use NIS/NPF 2002 and was not personally experiencing any problems. Amazing! And definitely worth a big KUDOS in my opinion!

Thank you so very much JVM.
    And thanks to everyone who contributed to this!

dkoert
    join:2001-11-20
    Wichita, KS

2 recommendations

dkoert to sonofjay

to sonofjay

Worked for me too

Add me to the fixed list. Copying symids.sys to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ seems to have solved the problem. I'll try it on a second machine shortly. Thanks for the diligence!
    OnlyRowan
    join:2004-06-01
    Jenks, OK

OnlyRowan to sonofjay

to sonofjay

Re: We may have a winner!

Wow! I've been having these exact problems with my computer for the last few weeks. I found this forum today and have been reading through the posts and WOW! My computer is one happy camper now! Disabling security control in NIS and downloading the symids.zip file to my computer has done the trick! Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gwellin
    Premium Member
    join:2004-05-31
    Regina, SK

Gwellin

Premium Member

Good for you OnlyRowan, could you please identify which version of Windows you have, especially if it is something other than XP. Also by “security control” I assume you mean Privacy Control, if so you can re-enable it now, the replaced file does the trick.
    OnlyRowan
    join:2004-06-01
    Jenks, OK

OnlyRowan

I have Windows XP and yes I meant Privacy Control. *sorry* I re-enabled it and everything is still working fine! I appreciate the help from the forum!

Ronsk
    @scottish-southern.co

Ronsk to sonofjay

Anon

to sonofjay
    Thank you sonofjay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

I am running XP with NIS 2002 & have been pulling my hair out for a couple of weeks with an unusable broadband connection. The replacement symids file did the trick. I can't thank everyone enough who has put in so much work to sort this one out. Respect !

For some reason I couldn't find a System Restore point BEFORE the liveupdate, so I couldn't fix it that way. I'm still not convinced that my system hasn't been damaged, particularly as my WiFI card driver doesn't seem to want to scan for my access point automatically anymore tried un-install/reinstall & no joy.

My Norton sub is up in August & not too keen to fill the Symantec coffers at the moment !

sonofjay
    MVM
    Malden, MA

1 recommendation

sonofjay

MVM

said by Ronsk:
    Thank you sonofjay !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

Just for the record one final time , I want to reiterate that it was not me that came of with this fix it was a looong list of posters here and in other forums as well as the lurkers that live among us. Please see this post where jvmorris tries to point out all the folks that helped. He does not specifically mention himself by jvmorris was the glue that held this entire search/hunt together and should be the one who is receiving the kudos!

Oremina9
    Tempus edax rerum
    Premium Member
    join:2004-06-02
    England

2 recommendations

Oremina9

Premium Member

sonofjay

How right you are to say that jvmorris is the glue that has held this entire business together for the past three weeks or so. I have followed this thread avidly (and in a very small way participated in it over at Wilders), but I tell you this straight.. I could not have even begun to do what Joseph has done. He must have eaten, drunk and slept this business for all this time. He's right in what he says, in that a lot of people all over the world have contributed, but without doubt Joseph is the rock on which all this has been founded.

We all of us owe him an enormous debt of gratitude for his selfless attitude, dedication and sheer bloody hard work.

Thank heavens for people like him!!

Thank you jvm

jvmorris
    MVM
    Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

Oremina, well your name is about to come up again!

Just need to sort through some notes. May be hours from now before I get that all posted, however.

Oremina9
    Tempus edax rerum
    Premium Member
    England

3 edits

Oremina9

Premium Member

Sorry, Joseph, really didn't mean to cause you any embarrassment, but it had to be said.. I now have an image of you doing what I imagine you do over your side of the pond, shrugging and saying "Aw shucks". (Blame Hollywood).

Regards

sonofjay
    MVM
    Malden, MA

2 edits

sonofjay

MVM

Update SymEvent Driver 06/02 - fix NIS2002??

EDIT:

Update SymEvent Driver 06/02 - fix NIS2002??

Decided it might be better to start a new thread on this as it could be lengthy and/or cause other as of yet unseen problems. See the following new thread

»Update SymEvent Driver 06/02 - fix NIS2002??
    JMJMF
    Belgium

JMJMF to sonofjay

to sonofjay

Re: We may have a winner!

Hi,

I just want to thank you for the symids.zip solution! I was since two weeks desperetaly searching why my CPU was working on so high speed and all the other mentioned troubles since LU of 29/04/2004 from Symantec. I just have one question: this symids file is version 5.3.1.54 while all the other updated sym* files on my system are version 5.3.1.53. Can this cause any problem? Thanks again!!!

Best regard from Brussels (Belgium, Europe)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

jvmorris
    MVM
    Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

What version of NIS/NPF are you running?

To the best of my knowledge, only NIS/NPF 2003/2004 users should be seeing build 5.3.1.53 of the sym*.* files. However, if you are running a language-specific implementation, that may come into play here.

Randy Bell
    Premium Member
    join:2002-02-24
    Santa Clara, CA

Randy Bell to JMJMF

Premium Member

to JMJMF
    said by JMJMF:
    I just have one question: this symids file is version 5.3.1.54 while all the other updated sym* files on my system are version 5.3.1.53. Can this cause any problem?
    I'm not the expert {jv is} but .. my guess is, most times it's safe to replace a program component {.DLL,.SYS,.VXD) with a newer version since that version usually includes all the functionality of previous versions. It is usually when you are going the other way around {replacing a program component with an older version} that you invite problems .. JMHO, hope that helps.

jvmorris
    MVM
    Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

Randy, but theskulptor indicated 5.3.1.53 files as being present on NIS 2002 at one point, also. That's why I'm curious here.

JoelR
    @cvx38-bradley.dialup

JoelR to sonofjay

Anon

to sonofjay

I'm just a semi-tech literate librarian...after three weeks of head-scratching (and wondering if I needed to buy a new computer) I googled you, and if you are in LA you are all owed a cocktail by me.
    J Rane

Mike A
    @comcast.net

1 recommendation

Mike A to Sparrow

Anon

to Sparrow
    Thank you ! Thank you ! Thank you!
    I had this problem for a couple days. I searched symantec which just said to do an update which I do quite frequently already. Your solution fixed my problem perfectly.

Mike A.

UK Bod
    @aol.com

UK Bod to sonofjay

Anon

to sonofjay
    Had the symptoms of PC browser running slow, virus check, spy check all ok. Found symproxy.exe taking up 100% CPU.Googled you and found best info anywhere in the known google world, ran zip file browser now all ok, thanks a million.
    I think I'll ditch NIS 2002, 2004 looks bad, suggest and good firewalls (zonealarms etc) and virus checkers (AVT anygood ?)

Thanks again Sonofjay you are a star

anonn
    @mindspring.com

anonn to sonofjay

Anon

to sonofjay
    this worked for me. i didn't have the symids file in my drivers folder, and once i copied it there, browsing speeds were back to normal. thanks.

Robert Logemann to sonofjay

Anon

to sonofjay
    It also worked on my Windows 2000 ! (Don't forget to use WINNT instead of WINDOWS). Great job !!!

jvmorris
    MVM
    Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

said by Robert Logemann:
    It also worked on my Windows 2000 ! (Don't forget to use WINNT instead of WINDOWS). . . .

Good point. While we continue to wait for the Symantec fix to this problem, I guess we'll have to put up a new, consolidated post with the patches available for the various OSs and, as you note, that distinction needs to be made for Win 2000. The directions as to how to install the ad hoc 'fix' need to be quite explicit on this issue, since I don't think it would be appropriate for us to start putting up an 'install' file, per se.

I just checked LiveUpdate as of 1200 EDT today (Wed, 23 Jun 2004) and apparently Symantec has still not 'published' a corrective LiveUpdate.