Mount Pocono, PA

Filter Internet NAT Redirection:?

Anyone tell me what this does?

Flogator
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-19
Cantley, QC
kudos:1
That is what used to be called local loopback. Enabling this filter will effectively disable local loopback. Disabling the filter enables local loopback.

Local loopback is the ability to access local servers on your LAN using the WAN IP address and thus the domain name of your servers. For example, let's say that you are hosting a webserver called www.toto.com. Obviously, your domain toto.com will map to your WAN IP address and I am assuming that you have forwarded the port 80 (web server) to the appropriate local PC. All of your visitors will contact you using www.toto.com which map to your WAN IP address and your router will forward all requests to your internal server. Everything is great and wonderful but how about you? What if you want to test the access to your web server? If local loopback is functional, then you will be able to access your web server (any other servers you have carefully forwarded the ports actually) just the same way as your visitors will do. The router will be able to bounce the request back to your server when accessing the WAN IP address. Of course, if you have Chosen to disable local loopback (enabling the filter Internet NAT Redirection) then you will not be able to do this.

Hope this helps.

ChrisDAT
djSpinnerCee

join:2002-02-26
Hollis, NY
reply to WiseAzz1
I have a suspicion that if this is enabled, and you make an internallly [LAN] sourced HTTP [port 80] request on your WAN IP, you will be sent to the router's config and be prompted for the password... Check it out -- this behavior may also depend on your firmware version.

You would disable the filter if you wanted to test port forwarding, otherwise you could not test port forwarding from the LAN. What normally happens is that the request will be looped back -- your log on your internal HTTP server [or other app.] should show the request [source IP] as coming from the router's LAN IP.

I guess you would enable the filter if you were concerned about your "infected" LAN PCs being able to attack your router or "port forwarded" applications.

WiseAzz1

join:2003-05-11
Mount Pocono, PA
Just wanna thank you for your replys.GJ!!

twix21

join:2003-05-26
Which firmware version and which tab can I find that?

Flogator
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-19
Cantley, QC
kudos:1
The feature "Filter Internet NAT Redirection" has been introduced in the BEFSX41 firmware 1.5x.x. You would need to upgrade your router to see this feature. If you are willing to give this a shot, I would strongly recommend the firmware 1.51.00 which you can find at the thread below:

»[wired] BEFSX41 Firmware 1.51.00 - POST YOUR RESULTS HERE

As for the location of the feature. You would need to look into the "Security" tab. Remember that the GUI has changed a lot between firmware 1.4x.x and 1.5x.x.