spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tarzanroute
join:2003-11-23
Athens, GA

tarzanroute

Known Dual Wan Routers for Those of you looking

I have seen a lot of people asking for solutions for dual wan routers lately. Here is a list of all the known Dual Wan routers I could find. If I left one out please add it. If anyone has had any bad experiences with any of the below mentioned, please let us know.

List of all Dual Wan Routers

Symantec VPN 200
Nexland Pro800
BroDigit NFR3024
Hawking FR24
Xincom XC-DPG402
Xincom XC-DPG502
Xincom XC-DPG602
OvisLink MN200
HotBrick Firewall VPN 600/2
HotBrick Firewall VPN 1200/2
ZyXel ZyWall 35
Linksys RV082
Edimax BR-6104K
Xterasys XR-4106
Pheenet BIG-02/4

jdepew
James Depew
Premium Member
join:2002-05-13
Savannah, GA

1 edit

jdepew

Premium Member

Linksys RV016 - up to 7 WAN connections
Linksys RV042 - 2 connections

»www.linksysinfo.org
tarzanroute
Athens, GA

tarzanroute

7 Wan ports is mad crazy. Talk about excessive.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Maybe it takes 7 to get 2 to work
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon

Premium Member

this should be made into a faq entry, as I see 1-2 questions per week about dual WAN.
Shootist
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

Shootist to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
said by Anav:

No that would be a Zyxel product. But with Zyxel you have to buy seven models to get 2 that function properly.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Most admins need only one, perhaps others need more

CampMaster
Rather Be Camp'n
Premium Member
join:2001-05-16
Trabuco Canyon, CA

CampMaster to tarzanroute

Premium Member

to tarzanroute

Re: Known Dual Wan Routers for Those of you lookin

also add the Symantec Security Gateway 360R to the list.
»www.symantec.com/smallbiz/gtw/

~Tom
tarzanroute
Athens, GA

1 recommendation

tarzanroute

BBR should open a forum devoted to dual wan routers. I see an increasing intrest in them. Because there are so many diffrent models, it would be a good place for all the dual wan gurus to culminate and share some of their info.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72 to tarzanroute

Premium Member

to tarzanroute

Re: Known Dual Wan Routers for Those of you looking

Edimax BR-6104K is not dual wan

Xzibit
Wtf Mate?
Premium Member
join:2002-04-19
Santa Clara, CA

Xzibit to Shootist

Premium Member

to Shootist
said by Shootist:
said by Anav:

No that would be a Zyxel product. But with Zyxel you have to buy seven models to get 2 that function properly.

:O

Acoloss
@range81-152.btcentra

Acoloss

Anon

HELLO....

please can someone tellme if there is any software to share 2 Internet connections with one pc?

I have 2 aDSL connections in my house.. a 1.1mb and 0.5mb... can i not use just XP and some software for load balancing/sharing without buying a router with 2 WAN ports..

I am 99% sure i once saw on the net some software that does this, but i can't find it now

I don't want to buy the hardware as i will only have these 2 connections for a couple of months,...

any ideas?

Cheers

freebsdrules
join:2003-10-27
Wilmington, DE

freebsdrules

Personally, if you're only gonna have the 2 lines for a couple of months, I wouldn't even bother using the 0.5mb one.

Acoloss
@in-addr.btopenworld.

Acoloss

Anon

Heya...
i managed to sort it out.. used sygate homeoffice.. worked perfect... using download accelerator connected multiple times to servers i got 180+ k/s downloads.. woohoo.

After a couple of days tho it stopped working and crashes hha... tried nat32 but didn't work properly.
If there is any other applications that anyone knows of, that would be great?
VectorRoute
join:2003-09-16
Mission Viejo, CA

VectorRoute to tarzanroute

to tarzanroute
XRoads Edge SB/EN solutions

www.XRoadsnetworks.com - add it to the list

WiFiSpy
Rtfm
Premium Member
join:2004-03-20
Everett, WA

WiFiSpy

Premium Member

the new hawking technology dual wan router and dual wan wireless G router

»www.hawkingtech.com

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to Acoloss

MVM

to Acoloss

said by Acoloss:

please can someone tellme if there is any software to share 2 Internet connections with one pc?

Yes. Get a copy of Linux and the Advanced Routing How-To.
quote:
I have 2 aDSL connections in my house.. a 1.1mb and 0.5mb... can i not use just XP and some software for load balancing/sharing without buying a router with 2 WAN ports..
There is no way naively to do this in your case. I also know of no software that runs in Windows that will do it for multiple interfaces. You might be able to hobble something up with VMWare and linux, but it would be a PITA and performance would likely suck.
dailu
Premium Member
join:2003-12-03
Mystic, CT

dailu to tarzanroute

Premium Member

to tarzanroute

Re: Known Dual Wan Routers for Those of you looking

Edimax's twin wan is the BR-6524. It's not a bad little router at all for the money. The NAT is much friendlier than the Xincom's dpg-402 if you're interested in Internet gaming.

Also edimax sells a quad wan router called the BR-6541.

Probably no need for a quad wan forum as of yet. LOL.

Dailu

rafat
@shabakah.net

rafat

Anon

i recently bring br6524 but it didnt work it drop down my speed frpm dsl to worst modem even broser didnt open
just garbeg

dervari2
join:2000-01-17
Atlanta, GA

dervari2 to tarzanroute

to tarzanroute
Netscreen 5GT

bbarrera
MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera to tarzanroute

MVM

to tarzanroute

A few more additions to the list.

CyberGuard/Snapgear SG570 and SG575
Sonicwall TZ 170 (and most higher models)
Zyxel Zywall 70
Juniper/Netscreen
FatPipe Networks
Freezone
join:2000-09-29
Southfield, MI

Freezone to cdru

to cdru
said by cdru:
said by Acoloss:

Yes. Get a copy of Linux and the Advanced Routing How-To.
quote:
There is no way naively to do this in your case. I also know of no software that runs in Windows that will do it for multiple interfaces. You might be able to hobble something up with VMWare and linux, but it would be a PITA and performance would likely suck.

Vicomsoft surfdoubler does it. Sygate does it. And a few others will. Also you can do it with mutlihoming and windows xp if you do not mind working with routing tables and manually setting routes based on interface and ip. The best use of doing this would be usenet. You would have each connection routed to a diff usenet server and use newsbin pro to connect to each server. I have 3 connections load balanced now. I have 2 6.0 dsl on my nexland pro 800 turbo and I feed it inot one of my ports on my xincom 502 with the other port on a 4.0 cable modem. The nexland actually does more than the 8megs that was in its specks.

Needless to say if my internet goes completly down it seems like an act of god .

1.5 megaBYTES a second is fun. I can download 4 moives divx in the time it takes to watch one. I pulleddown doom 3 in less than 20 minutes.
chuckwh
join:2003-12-20
North Bend, WA

chuckwh

Linksys RV042 lacks SMTP Binding

I recently bought and installed a linksys RV042. I've got a Small Business Server that I intended to put behind the RV042. Problem: When the SBS tries to send out mail with SMTP, it gets assigned WAN1 or WAN2 randomly. Lots of other SMTP servers out there apparently do a reverse DNS lookup before accepting mail, so my mail gets sent only if WAN2 was chosen.
What I need, of course, is "SMTP Binding". I've gone through all the setup menus, and even called Linksys support. No, it doesn't exist, and it's not planned in the next firmware upgrade. It seems that until my call, nobody even suspected they needed it.
Moral: Don't but the RV042 (or RV082) expecting to put a mail server behind it.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

On the ZyWALL routers 35/70I believe ensuring 'binding' of outgoing traffic is covered under Policy Routing.

javiergomez
@univde01.de.comcast.

javiergomez

Anon

It is true that the router doesn’t have that function (not sure if there are routers that do)… but the problem here is not the router, is just that you need to setup PTR records on both lines not just WAN2.

Alternatively you can use the Router on Backup mode or simply use a Smarthost (which would be my choice).

--
Javier [SBS MVP]

>
michaelr7
join:2004-03-26
Tucson, AZ

michaelr7 to bbarrera

to bbarrera

Since you mention Juniper/Netscreen please add Cisco also.
Of course these (Juniper/Netscreen and Cisco) are high end devices. They are not what one would consider low cost.
michaelr7

michaelr7 to javiergomez

to javiergomez

Re: Linksys RV042 lacks SMTP Binding

quote:
but the problem here is not the router, is just that you need to setup PTR records on both lines not just WAN2
Exactly true. Bonding (two or more lines with a single IP address in this case) requires ISP support in addition to router support (read "pay your ISP enough and they'll do it for you"). It is not worth the money in this case since all you need is proper DNS entries. Multi-homed machines like this are very common. They work fine once all of the configuration details are done.
Freezone
join:2000-09-29
Southfield, MI

Freezone to javiergomez

to javiergomez
said by javiergomez:
It is true that the router doesn’t have that function (not sure if there are routers that do)… but the problem here is not the router, is just that you need to setup PTR records on both lines not just WAN2.

Alternatively you can use the Router on Backup mode or simply use a Smarthost (which would be my choice).

--
Javier [SBS MVP]

>

The xincom routers do smtp binding to an interface. Also if you want to use both connections for incoming mail simply setup the second connection in the mx record for the damians you are hosting.

If the second connection is dynamic simply use a service like dyndns.org. It is free and many routers support it to update the dynamic ip so that it points to the second connection always.
Freezone

Freezone

Also note to the oigianl poster. It is not nexland pro800, it is the nexland pro800 turbo. The turbo is important as the 800 is not a dual wan router. I would hate for some
Kirby Smith
join:2001-01-26
Derry, NH

Kirby Smith to chuckwh

to chuckwh
The Hawking FR24 (now sold refurbished by Hawking) has a sharing mode using rules, allowing routing by source IP [range], destination IP [range], and port [range]. Any activity not corresponding to a rule goes out WAN1, unless WAN1 is unavailable, in which case the router uses WAN2, and vice versa. As soon as I get time I plan to test Thunderbird with two SMTP and POP3 address pairs, each routed within Verizon or GWI networks.

Unfortunately, the Hawking seems to have some problem in my context where after 10 to 20 hours it goes incommunicado and has to be repowered. I caught it this morning communicado, but slow and apparently* not following the rules. Repowering fixed it. With the endless possibilities for ADSL modem and DSLAM disturbances, and ISP hacking countermeasures that may not be compatible with the router's methods of testing connectivity, it is hard to pin the blame on the Hawking with certainty,** but when this situation gets sufficiently tiresome, I will have to move higher on the router food chain. Too bad Anav's Z35 solution is 10 times the cost of the Hawking, and three times the cost of the Xincom 502.

kirby

** My GWI connection would also break my Nexland ISB SOHO [single WAN] router after a while (or whenever GWI support tried to improve my connection), requiring reloading the firmware(!). My tentative suspicion is that these older routers do not allow for some type of recently adopted message type or format, and develop memory leaks when exposed to them. My SOHO ran tirelessly for years on Verizon PPPoE, but other owners reported problems whenever their cable company changed the interface.