byron
Premium Member
join:2004-06-16
South Orange, NJ

2 edits

byron

Premium Member

Wireless G slow connection..

using a Netgear WGR614v3 and my Thinkpad T42 (Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG) integrated. I always have a signal strength of 80% or higher but yet my transmit rate fluctuates from 54mbps, 48, 36, 24, 16, 11, 2, and even 1mbps. When I first connect its always 54mbps... but over time it drops.. then goes back up, then back down again. All the time I have great signal strength. I have tried channels 1,2,5,6,9,and 11. I don't have any cordless telephones or any other 2.4ghz devices in the house. Why would my transmit rate be dropping like that? I know i'll never obtain a constant 54mbps connection... but it usually sits on 11mbps... whats the point in doing 802.11g if im only going to get the speeds of 802.11b?

WEP 128bit
channel 5
Windows Xp on the Thinkpad

any suggestions?
jpg3660
join:2004-04-09
Humble, TX

jpg3660

Any 'b' devices within range will slow the router to 'b' speed, even if they are not in your house. But a microwave next door could also interfere. Signal strength is not the same as signal quality.
byron
Premium Member
join:2004-06-16
South Orange, NJ

1 edit

byron

Premium Member

so if i have one B laptop and one G... it will slow both down to 11mbps?

i've been watching it closely tonight and it looks like the thinkpad is monitoring network activity and adjusting the speed according to what it thinks I need. If I browse to a network share and start transferring large files, it cranks up to 54mbps and occasionally drops down to 48mbps.. after the file transfer if there is little/no activity, it slows down again.

is this normal?
jpg3660
join:2004-04-09
Humble, TX

jpg3660

From what I read, "g" can speak "b" but not vice versa. "g" is polite enough to only speak "b" when a "b" device is nearby.

I don't have any personal experience with "g" but with "b" speed readings often vary, probably responding to changes in signal quality. Another thing I've noticed with laptops is that a position shift of an inch or two can make a big change in speed. The wavelengths here (2.4 ghz for "g" and "b") are fairly short, and there may be nodes (higher and lower) due to multiple antennas or reflections from metal objects (perhaps even the foil lining some attic insulation). Using a laptop on a lap is probably the least reliable position for consistent speed.