bylo
Premium Member
join:2004-05-04
Waterloo, ON

bylo

Premium Member

Demarc wiring question

Click for full size
I'm trying to help a friend install DSL in their condo townhouse. Here's a picture of the demarc block. I assume the right wire is the line in from Bell and the two left wires are internal runs to phone jacks throughout the house.

1. Why two lines?

2. I'd like to filter both lines, then install a third line to the DSL modem (a S6300) so that access will be wireless. What hardware do I need?

3. Any other tips before I embark on my first phone wiring project? (I've done lots of wiring and soldering and such with electronics, just never with this stuff.)

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON

BliZZardX

Premium Member

and then yeah HiVolt or someone take a picture of your demarc and where you have the filters etc

bylo
Premium Member
Waterloo, ON

bylo

Premium Member

The pushdown block in my photo is on the utility panel (electric, phone, cable, etc.) in the basement of the townhouse. The black phone cable, along with a similar cable TV line, goes up to the subfloor above and then makes a left turn, through the wall and heads outside. Both cablesn then disappear under a wood deck. I don't see anything that looks like a demarc (such as there is in the basement of my house.)

I suspect that Bell's demarc is at some central point in the townhouse development. Is it OK if I cut the black wire and insert a splitter? Then I can put a filter between the splitter and the pushdown (for all the phones) and run a short, unfiltered line to the 6300 from the other side of the split.

What patrs should I ask for at NEDCO?

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium Member
join:2004-02-27
Pierrefonds, QC

Kringle1

Premium Member

Click for full size
The punchdown block is the demarc. All you have to do is install a phone jack on the black wire on the right.
Blue => Red
White => Green
Red => Yellow
Orange => Black

From the punchdown block go to a junction box where you connect an RJ-11 cable (copper wire, NOT satin). This RJ-11 will plug into two series filters that are plugged into a splitter that's plugged into the (newly installed) phone jack. The modem plugs into the non-filtered side of the splitter (obviously). The required parts are shown above... Enjoy the job.

bylo
Premium Member
Waterloo, ON

bylo

Premium Member

said by Kringle1:
The punchdown block is the demarc. All you have to do is install a phone jack on the black wire on the right.
That certainly seems the easiest approach since I can put the two boxes a few inches apart to leave room for the filters, and that way I'll be able to use the existing wire to screw contacts rather than having to mess with crimping RJ-11s.

Will I get into any trouble with Bell if I tap in ahead of the demarc?

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium Member
Pierrefonds, QC

Kringle1

Premium Member

In a word, no.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly

You have to understand that Bells responsibility ends at the Demarc, and yours begins after. Your best bet is to install a Modular Jack on the bell wires that turn into the Green & Red pair. If you are using a second line, install a second Modular jack on the other pairs as well, just to make it easy. Install a wall splitter, then get a line cord, strip one end of it, and punch down the green and red pair of wires back onto the terminal block, and at the other end of the line cord, install the inline microfilter. There, all you need to do is install the modem into the unused jack on the splitter.

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium Member
Pierrefonds, QC

Kringle1

Premium Member

Technically yes, but...
What is actually being done by installing a phone jack before the punchdown block is putting in the demarc that Bell never installed. It will make for a cleaner wiring job and less possibility for error. Also, if there are 2 lines the RJ-11 jack will handle both the Line1 and the Line2 pairs at the same time and the microfilters will only filter Line1 and pass Line 2 unaffected. This works if your DSL is on Line1.

bylo
Premium Member
Waterloo, ON

bylo

Premium Member

Followup question.

I just installed a SS6300 at this location (to replace a SS5262.) According to the SS6300 Stats page, this line is on a 1728/384 profile. The S/N is 22 and attenuation is 38dB.

Will these numbers support 3000/800? Is there any reason why Bell hasn't upgraded this line already? Is this something we have to ask for explicitly? The line is located near downtown Waterloo, so I'd imagine Bell have 3Mb/s infrastructure there by now.

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium Member
Pierrefonds, QC

Kringle1

Premium Member

Your S/N ratio is good (should be over 6dB) and your attenuation is also good (should be under 55dB). You should be able to sustain the 3000/800 profile the way your line is now. It's possible that the line had poorer stats when they tested it for the upgrade and that profile stuck. You should be able to get Sympatico to change the profile if they see the same stats when they test it from their end.

DaJatt
@sympatico.ca

DaJatt

Anon

Greetings,

That line is reasonable for the 3008/800 profile, I've seen 3008/800 on a (15|45)dB line; no sync issues either.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada

Glen1 to bylo

MVM

to bylo
Just a note here, as the speed is increased from one profile to another...the signal to noise ratio changes...ie you may think you have a good s/n until the speed is turned up and it becomes prohibitive.

bylo
Premium Member
Waterloo, ON

bylo

Premium Member

Kewl! Looks like I'll do the 310-SURF thing next time I'm in Waterloo and see if I can beg them to give me a better profile. Thanks for the responses. You guys are great.