spc
Search similar:

uniqs
species8350
join:2004-06-12
uk

species8350

DNS local vs DNS Kerio

I note from my TCP/IP properties that DNS is disabled, and that DHCP for wins resolution is enabled.

I have set primary and secondary DNS servers in kerio.
DHCP is set in kerio

Does the firewall override the DNS disabled settings?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

What are you even talking about??

Look in your ip configuration, you see one, or two dns servers assigned as part of that connection, otherwise you could not use your connection for normal use! Your firewall has nothing to do with your dns communications, other than you need to permit them.
species8350
join:2004-06-12
uk

species8350

'What are you even talking about??'

Don't be so rude

Under my tcp/ip settings

I have set server assigned IP address, and server assigned
name server address.

I was asking about the compatibility of this with my kerio settings - that's all

If you can't be polite with your replies, I would prefer it if you did not respond to my posts. Please bear in mind that these are my posts.
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

Sentinel to species8350

Premium Member

to species8350
I believe that your PC is getting the DNS server info from the DHCP server that it gets its IP address from. Do you have a gateway listed? I think that if you do not specifically assign DNS servers in the DNS server tab of your network properties then it uses DHCP for WINS by default. What I think that means is that it asks the DHCP server where the DNS server is. In other words it is set to automatically get everything it needs from the ISP with no further setting from you.

This does not mean that you are not using the DNS servers that you show in your connection. It just means that you did not define them specifically in the network properties. You can, if you like, define them in the network properties if you know them.

And don't mind the way BlitzenZeus says things. He is very helpful to many people. You just have to get passed the way he says things and concentrate on what he is saying. He has the best intentions and really does help very many people.