uniqs
TDS3_User
Premium Member
join:2002-11-23
Australia

TDS3_User to marti

Premium Member

to marti

Re: Quick show of hands - Are you using tea-timer?

said by marti:
said by IGGY9:
Has the tide finally turned in regards to AdAware updating more than SpyBot? It's always been my experience and from what I've read here. That SpyBot always updated more and caught things AdAware missed. Has the tide now turned the other direction? It would seem from my reading that SpyBot did a bit of an "AdAware" while coming out with this latest version. Leaving users wondering if the software was live or dead.
AdAware is alive and well and updates often. SpyBotS&D is now among the near-dead and possibly dying apps.

Yep!... Like a Dodo bird *almost* IMO.

no updates I reckon for at least 2 months maybe more.
I just tried again...

TDS

mers2
Premium Member
join:2004-03-20
USA

mers2

Premium Member

said by TDS3_User:

I just tried again...

TDS

What version are you using? Version 1.2 is no longer updated. You must upgrade to v 1.3. The last upddate was 6/23.

ctrip
Islam is a Religion of Peace
Premium Member
join:2002-07-16
New Cumberland, PA

1 edit

ctrip to TDS3_User

Premium Member

to TDS3_User
said by TDS3_User:

I just tried again...

TDS

Last detection update for Spybot was 6/23/2004 (about 6 days ago)

I think that maybe you need version 1.3 for the updates to work.

EDIT: Darn it...mers2 beat me to it.
TDS3_User
Premium Member
Australia

1 edit

TDS3_User to DprssdIsntFn

Premium Member

to DprssdIsntFn
Oh.. this one...;)

Is there log file to check... maybe wife did one.

Buddel
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Premium Member
join:2004-03-06
EU

Buddel to DprssdIsntFn

Premium Member

to DprssdIsntFn
I use TT and I like it. Don't wanna miss it.:) I thought it would prove to be a resource hog on my old Windows ME computer, but I don't even notice it. Spybot S&D is getting better and better...

ctrip
Islam is a Religion of Peace
Premium Member
join:2002-07-16
New Cumberland, PA

ctrip to TDS3_User

Premium Member

to TDS3_User
You probably need 1.3 Final, and not a Release Candidate.

mers2
Premium Member
join:2004-03-20
USA

mers2 to TDS3_User

Premium Member

to TDS3_User
said by TDS3_User:
Oh.. this one...;)

Is there log file to check... maybe wife did one.

If you're using advanced settings click the "Info and License" tab on the side menubar. It will show under the version #. By the way 1.3 final is available.
TDS3_User
Premium Member
Australia

TDS3_User to DprssdIsntFn

Premium Member

to DprssdIsntFn

ahhh...okie... each time I checked I just saw 1.3 and did not realise I did not have "full" final... makes sense..
Thanks guys...

Back OT now...

TDS

z28kindaguy
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18
Brooklyn, MD

z28kindaguy to DprssdIsntFn

Premium Member

to DprssdIsntFn
I'm using it. I love it when you install free apps like Musicmatch and Quicktime, it asks me if I want to load their .exe and their system tray icons. I gladly say no.
z28kindaguy

z28kindaguy to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
said by Name Game:

With Mozilla, Firefox, Opera or Netscape do you even need Sypbot S&D installed at all ?

Absolutely.

John2g
Qui Tacet Consentit
Premium Member
join:2001-08-10
England

John2g to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb
said by pcdebb:
said by EvilByDesire:
Plus im not stupid enough to install spyware anyway, i know how to protect my self
most people that have a spyware problem don't install it either

I have noticed that a number of recent HJT logs show Tea-Timer installed.

sir rah
@wdc-dc.osd.concentri

sir rah to DprssdIsntFn

Anon

to DprssdIsntFn
I tried it, but had to revert as the function had significant impact to my system performance. System is a 1.8 AMD with 500MB memory. As a Seti processor, I found the 20% impact on performance unacceptable.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to z28kindaguy

Premium Member

to z28kindaguy
said by z28kindaguy:
said by Name Game:

With Mozilla, Firefox, Opera or Netscape do you even need Sypbot S&D installed at all ?

Absolutely.

Why?
Ciderdrinker
join:2004-02-19
UK

Ciderdrinker to DprssdIsntFn

to DprssdIsntFn
I've got it installed and running on my work PC, but not the home one. I can't say that I have noticed a significant slowing of resources (the main thing that slows the work one down is our network ).

However, as it does seem to do more or less the same thing as RegProt, I'm not sure that I really need it, however, for some reason best known to themselves work have set IE to be very insecure, when I run Spyware Blaster it tells me that I need to resecure it (which I can with Spyware Blaster), however, given that I don't think of doing that everyday, and while I generally use Mozilla, there are some work related things that don't work in Mozilla, so I have to switch to IE. So, I figure that when I am using IE, I want as many safety nets in place as possible!
(And, yes, I have commented to our site support about the very insecure settings that they use ... and am waiting for an answer ...)

richk_1957
If ..Then..Else
Premium Member
join:2001-04-11
Minas Tirith

richk_1957 to DprssdIsntFn

Premium Member

to DprssdIsntFn
OK, I have Spybot S&D 1.3 installed but, just what the heck is the Tea Timer? What does it do? No-where does it tell you, and no matter how good a application is, I don't like to install things blindly.

And where did he get the name Tea Timer:D:):D

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to DprssdIsntFn

Premium Member

to DprssdIsntFn
Nope. Don't use it either. Feel comfortable with Spywareblaster and Spybot working together. Plus pop up companion, for when I do use IE. Otherwise, it's Opera. Only thing runing in background that I allow in the taskbar is my firewall, period.
TDS3_User
Premium Member
Australia

TDS3_User to richk_1957

Premium Member

to richk_1957
said by richk_1957:
OK, I have Spybot S&D 1.3 installed but, just what the heck is the Tea Timer? What does it do? No-where does it tell you, and no matter how good a application is, I don't like to install things blindly.

And where did he get the name Tea Timer:D:):D

I suppose you could equate Tea Timer like AdWatch in AdAware. It's a running process in real time to actively block bad apples. I deliberately left it uninstalled as it was noticely slowing things down for me. And that's with 2.1Mhz/1G RAM.

Pic shows where to Enable/Disable it.

pleekmo
Triptoe Through The Tulips
Premium Member
join:2001-09-14
Manchester, CT

pleekmo to DprssdIsntFn

Premium Member

to DprssdIsntFn
I've got it installed and running. It's useful but it can be an annoyance occasionally.

For instance, during an attempt at a drive tranfer, Roxio wanted to be reinstalled for some reason. TeaTimer kept asking me about registry value changes that had to be vetted. Turned out to be a bunch of stuff that Roxio wanted to "Run Once".

Even though I use Mozilla and have Ad-Aware and AVG installed, I still run TeaTimer because I realize that I'm not immune to "social engineering".
JimF
Premium Member
join:2003-06-15
Allentown, PA

JimF to DprssdIsntFn

Premium Member

to DprssdIsntFn
I run WinXP in a USER account. TeaTimer is irrelevant; nothing can affect the registry unless I purposely install something. If you don't trust what you are installing yourself, there is no point in TT or any other registry monitor that I can see.

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to DprssdIsntFn

Premium Member

to DprssdIsntFn
What the Heck is Teatimer?

with screenshots
»www.voiceofthepublic.com ··· swf.html

SpywareGuard vs Tea Timer

»SpywareGuard and Spybot - Search & Destroy??

Tea Timer is a resident monitor that is a new feature added. It was tested in beta editions. Tea Timer helps you in many ways and its like checking in real time what is happening in your machine. For example, there is an attempt to change in Registry or BHO in your machine, Tea Timer will alert you and give the option for you if you want to allow the change or discard. It also is IE resident giving you options to block or prompt when you are visiting a suspicious site.

DaHen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-08
Brockton, MA

DaHen to DprssdIsntFn

Premium Member

to DprssdIsntFn
I only wish it was named something else. With the name of "tea-timer", all I can visualize is people sitting down having tea, lol.
Which doesn't do much for a security project.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to DprssdIsntFn

Premium Member

to DprssdIsntFn
Did anyone answer marti See Profile's question about why was this name chosen for this application? Quite the strange name.

richk_1957
If ..Then..Else
Premium Member
join:2001-04-11
Minas Tirith

richk_1957 to TDS3_User

Premium Member

to TDS3_User
Thank You:)

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:
Did anyone answer marti See Profile's question about why was this name chosen for this application? Quite the strange name.

17. May 2004

Those of you who have downloaded Spybot-S&D in the past days will already have seen it - we've now got a public 1.3 version.

In addition to a larger database, speedier scan and many fixed bugs, an important part is named TeaTimer (explanation of that name will follow in the FAQ), which is the new on-access protection part of Spybot-S&D.

A full list of changes will be posted here later on, but is also available in our support forum now.

Thanks to everyone who helped making this new release possible!

»www.safer-networking.org ··· 04-05-17

»www.safer-networking.org ··· 04-06-16

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to DprssdIsntFn

Premium Member

to DprssdIsntFn
I use it.
No problems so far.
I like how it warns me of certain registry modifications made by installing programs... even when they are legit.

Works well without a hitch on XP Pro SP1a.

him5
How 'Bout Some Ether?
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Westminster, MD

him5

Premium Member

said by Dustyn:
I use it.
No problems so far.
I like how it warns me of certain registry modifications made by installing programs... even when they are legit.

Works well without a hitch on XP Pro SP1a.

Same here, also works great with SP2beta.

Improfane
join:2003-12-05

Improfane to Mele20

to Mele20
People who DO use they're heads and do not get TeaTimer like to use it anyway, Like me.

I like to see what my 'legi' software is doing and what registry keys it is editing.
quote:

You guys using it must all be IE diehards. Really foolish these days. Just get Mozilla, Firefox, Opera or Netscape and Proxomitron and you don't need all this stuff.
Hush child.

I am not using TeaTimer at the moment as im looking into a problem with ZA 5 o.O [Keeps crashing certain programs!]
boblandy2
Premium Member
join:2002-05-06

boblandy2 to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
said by Name Game:
(explanation of that name will follow in the FAQ)
the suspense builds

F walker
Hey Intern, Get Me A Campari
Premium Member
join:2003-04-10
Anchorage, AK

F walker to DprssdIsntFn

Premium Member

to DprssdIsntFn
Yes I am.

...And yes, you should run it even with firefox, some progs, which have nothing to do with your browser can trigger reg changes that will be caught by Tea-Timer.

...Although, I was trying to uninstall Ubi.com from my Windows Add/Remove Programs list this morning and Tea-Timer would not allow me to. It thought that the uninstall was malicious and blocked it even when I checked the Allow box and tried again, repeatedly. I had to kill Tea-Timer to go through with the uninstall.

...Overall, I like it and have seen no hogging of resources.... maybe these folks experiencing this resource hogging need to go AMD!!

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
Sachakhand

Sparrow to dp

Premium Member

to dp
said by dp:
No, currently I'm not using it but who knows what the future brings For now I'm happy with my existing security measures.
These are my feelings as well. Thanks dp See Profile!