Premium Member
join:2001-02-16
The Hive

1 edit

10 recommendations

gt7697c

Premium Member

TuneUp Utilities 2004 Awesome!

Saw it mentioned in another thread, and decided to try it out. It found over 1000 problems with my registry, then found problems with my connection to the internet, and finally found a security problem I had planned on getting to some day.:D Fixed all the problems it found, and the system runs better than when I installed it over a year ago, and I have no slow downs surfing the net. (Something I had been having for awhile now. Plus the system was just starting to slow down noticeably.)

Link to product:
»www.tune-up.com/

I was using Win Doctor, CleanSweep, and Jv16 for fixing the registry but now after running this utility I am thinking of dropping at least 2 programs of what I was using.

So what problems has anyone had using this software, it can't be all good 'n nice....Or can it?:)

H2OuUp2
Happy to be here
Premium Member
join:2002-03-15
Oklahoma City, OK

H2OuUp2

Premium Member

I have been trying it out and so far so good.

One thing I have cable and it changed my MTU from 1500 to 1492. BBR says it should be at 1500. Who's right?

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

dadkins to gt7697c

MVM

to gt7697c
Yes, it is a great utility. I like it alot! My startup is 20 seconds now. It will get rid of the arrows on your desktop shortcuts, change your icons, change themes, Registry Cleanup/defrag, Startup Manager, etc. I really like the 1-Click Maintenance, keeps things flying right along.

Candle12
Micro Developer
Premium Member
join:2003-03-24

Candle12 to gt7697c

Premium Member

to gt7697c
Nice one . someone buy this for me (:
bilyardman
join:2003-07-29
Texarkana, TX

bilyardman to gt7697c

to gt7697c
Yep I agree,

Used trial for 5 days...may have helped. Going to test on
nLite install...Will post results.

kcazzie
One Of Jerry's Kids
Premium Member
join:2000-08-13
Morton Grove, IL

kcazzie to gt7697c

Premium Member

to gt7697c
My PCs have never been so fast...Great find...;)...

howie1
Premium Member
join:2003-04-08
Antarctica

howie1 to gt7697c

Premium Member

to gt7697c
I have been using it about two months now and love it. Two thumbs up from me!

Rejected One
I Suffer From Id10t Errors
Premium Member
join:2003-07-31
Wilmington, DE

1 recommendation

Rejected One to gt7697c

Premium Member

to gt7697c
i have it and have been using it for a lil while but i find it doesent do too much for my comp. most likly because of other tools i run like

o&o defrag ( running all the time in back ground so i dont have to run defrag once a month ) - »www.oo-software.com/en/p ··· dex.html

reg supreme - »www.macecraft.com/

reg seeker - »www.webattack.com/get/re ··· er.shtml

dont get me wrong Tuneups works i like it bought it but never use it anymore

howie1
Premium Member
Antarctica

howie1 to gt7697c

Premium Member

to gt7697c
Click for full size
I have used just about every one of it's tools (except for the memory optimizer) and each works as advertised and I think it would be hard to build such a complete collection of system optimizing/cleaning tools that works as well as TuneUp Utilities. It's "rescue" feature (you can undo any changes made to your system) is an added bonus (I've never had to use it). Just my opinion...

kcazzie
One Of Jerry's Kids
Premium Member
join:2000-08-13
Morton Grove, IL

kcazzie

Premium Member

said by howie1:
I have used just about every one of it's tools (except for the memory optimizer) and each works as advertised and I think it would be hard to build such a complete collection of system optimizing/cleaning tools that works as well as TuneUp Utilities. It's "rescue" feature (you can undo any changes made to your system) is an added bonus (I've never had to use it). Just my opinion...

I use all those tools too and 'TuneUp' is added pleasure...;)...

Keizer
I'M Your Huckleberry
MVM
join:2003-01-20

1 recommendation

Keizer to gt7697c

MVM

to gt7697c
I also recently bought Tuneup utilities 2004 after trialing the suite of tools. It does work really well! The GUI is clean, quick, and each tool does the job it is supposed to do. Like Howie I have not tried the memory optimizer. With a gig of RAM I don't think I need it yet. I love the one click maintenance, and the way it will automatically optimize your system.

Keizer
Keizer

1 edit

Keizer to H2OuUp2

MVM

to H2OuUp2
said by H2OuUp2:
I have been trying it out and so far so good.

One thing I have cable and it changed my MTU from 1500 to 1492. BBR says it should be at 1500. Who's right?

I am not sure. I think BBR uses a more involved method of tweaking your speed, and is probably more accurate. I also let Tuneup utilities 2004 adjust my internet connection to optimize my speed. I have a slow DSL connection, which is my only choice right now for a high speed internet. The advertised speed for my DSL connection is 640/240. When running a speed test after allowing Tunup utilities 2004 to adjust my connection, I am easily getting between 80%-90% of my advertised speed. See screeny! If I run the test locally through my DSL providers web site, I get a faster speed.

Keizer

Nogard is me
Premium Member
join:2004-01-08
Columbus, OH

Nogard is me to gt7697c

Premium Member

to gt7697c
I haven't got arounnd in trialing it yet but I will today. The only gripe I have is my old lady is yelling at me for spending to much on these program so I guess if I like it I have to beg her to give me the ok.

Stooges Fan
I'm Trying To Think, But Nothing Happens
Premium Member
join:2002-10-18

Stooges Fan to gt7697c

Premium Member

to gt7697c
I purchased Tune Up 2004 about two months ago and I am very pleased with this utility. The best part is I am now totally Symantec free.

Keizer
I'M Your Huckleberry
MVM

4 recommendations

Keizer to Nogard is me

MVM

to Nogard is me
Click for full size
said by Nogard is me:
The only gripe I have is my old lady is yelling at me for spending to much on these program so I guess if I like it I have to beg her to give me the ok.

Tuneup utilities has got you covered!

Keizer

Nogard is me
Premium Member
Columbus, OH

Nogard is me to gt7697c

Premium Member

to gt7697c
LOL

GeekNJ
Premium Member
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ to H2OuUp2

Premium Member

to H2OuUp2
said by H2OuUp2:
If you're on a cable modem, 1500 is the most appropriate value. There's nothing preventing you from lowering it, but you shouldn't need to. If you're at 1500 and it's working, DON'T change it. It would only reduce (albeit very slightly) your performance.

china crisis
join:2003-05-28

1 edit

china crisis to Nogard is me

to Nogard is me
Heres a screenshot for the old lady.
times up hope you got it.

gt7697c
Premium Member
The Hive

gt7697c to Keizer

Premium Member

to Keizer
Your too funny.:)
____

H2OuUp2, check your modem, and do the mtu test as described here:
»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How do I find my optimum MTU setting?

For my system 1492 is best because my modem uses PPOE to make the connection to the net, and so I have to check, on the Tweak Test, Router PPOE. Otherwise the results would not be accurate.

_____

Has anyone had any problems using this software? Has anyone noticed if it causes any conflicts with other programs?

So far it is wonderful on my system.:)

Nogard is me
Premium Member
Columbus, OH

Nogard is me to gt7697c

Premium Member

to gt7697c
Too bad this program don't come with a baby sitter.

gt7697c
Premium Member
The Hive

gt7697c to china crisis

Premium Member

to china crisis
Please black out your registration key. I don't think you want to share it with everyone that visits this site, as well as, the Lurkers of this forum.

Stooges Fan
I'm Trying To Think, But Nothing Happens
Premium Member
join:2002-10-18

Stooges Fan to Nogard is me

Premium Member

to Nogard is me
said by Nogard is me:
I haven't got arounnd in trialing it yet but I will today. The only gripe I have is my old lady is yelling at me for spending to much on these program so I guess if I like it I have to beg her to give me the ok.

Explain it like I do. "At least you know where I am every night".

upieper
join:2001-12-23

upieper to gt7697c

to gt7697c
Have a closer look...

Keizer
I'M Your Huckleberry
MVM

1 recommendation

Keizer to gt7697c

MVM

to gt7697c
[QUOTE=gt7697c See Profile

Has anyone had any problems using this software? Has anyone noticed if it causes any conflicts with other programs?

So far it is wonderful on my system.:)
[/QUOTE]

Gt, I mainly use the reg cleaner, and have had no issues at all letting it clean everything. It does have the rescue center if something does need to be put back. I have also let it manage my themes, and have done some optimizations which have all worked great. I also removed Codestuff Starter, since Tuneup comes with a really good startup manager, and running processes utility.

About the only quirk I have noticed is when using the icon packs. They install and display perfectly, however the recycle bin will not display full or empty correctly unless you refresh the icons. Just using the standard XP recycle bin icon takes care of this glitch.

Keizer

howie1
Premium Member
Antarctica

howie1 to gt7697c

Premium Member

to gt7697c
I remember from a previous thread (can't find it) that you can use the themes designed for other theme utilities such as StyleXP in TuneUp Utilities WinStyler.

Nogard is me
Premium Member
Columbus, OH

Nogard is me to Stooges Fan

Premium Member

to Stooges Fan
LOL I say that all the time.

fireflier
Coffee. . .Need Coffee
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
Limbo

fireflier to gt7697c

Premium Member

to gt7697c
Question: Anybody here know how this app compares to Norton SystemWorks' app that also does registry cleanup and system checking?

From the comments, it sounds like TuneUp is significantly more thorough, and I'm seriously considering buying it, but I'm just wondering how much better it can do compared to the Norton app? Would I be wasting my money to buy TuneUp if I already have SystemWorks?

gt7697c
Premium Member
The Hive

1 recommendation

gt7697c

Premium Member

I was using SystemWorks: Windoctor and also Cleansweep Registry Sweep. TuneUp Utilities found over 1000 registry problems on my PC, even after both Symantec Tools had said everything was ok. As for me, I am purchasing TuneUp Utilities once my trial is up, Symantec just isn't all that anymore.

HTH.:)

Digibits
Premium Member
join:2000-09-02
The Hilltop

1 recommendation

Digibits

Premium Member

I came across a thread on TuneUp Utilities a couple of months ago, tried the software, and wound up purchasing it.

It certainly is "all" that everyone has said.

fireflier
Coffee. . .Need Coffee
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
Limbo

fireflier

Premium Member

Thanks for the responses. Those are the kind of comments I was looking for. Just wanted to make sure I didn't buy or waste my time installing an app that wasn't going to do more than something I already had. Guess I'll be installing TuneUp in the next day or so.

The only reason I bought SystemWorks Pro in the first place was for the Virus Scanning and Ghost. The other stuff was just fluff.