Search similar:

uniqs
doug12
join:2004-05-04
Mississauga, ON

doug12

using WRT54G as a bridge to another WRT54G

Hey folks,

I want to connect my Xbox and STB to the newtork and would like to use a wireless router as a bridge (price reasons) is there a way to make the WRT54G connect to another one via wireless connection?

I think the firmware that comes with the box doesn't support this, but is there a third party firmware that supports that?

Thanks

prestonlewis
Premium Member
join:2003-04-13
Sacramento, CA

prestonlewis

Premium Member

The www.sveasoft.com firmware does allow a WRT54G to be used in "client" mode which is essentially a bridge mode. The Simahdi (free) firmware, the Satori ($20/year) or the new Alchemy versions of their open source firmware will turn the WRT54G into a bridge. Here's how:
1. Download the firmware from www.sveasoft.com in the public download section for firmware (or private download if you've paid the $20/year). Unpack it so that it is a *.bin file.
2. Go into your WRT54G browser setup, perform the "restore default settings".
3. Install the new firmware.
4. "restore default settings" again, you may also have to hit the reset button to clear old firmware out of RAM memory.
5. Change the WRT54G IP address to 192.168.1.2 so it will not conflict with the router you are using.
6. Set the wireless settings (ssid, channel, encryption, password, etc) so it matches your wireless router or access point. Set the WRT54G to be a "client" instead of an "AP" (access point).
7. Leave the WAN port on the WRT54G unused and unplugged. You can turn off DHCP and other router functions if you want.
8. Set your wireless client devices that will be using the bridge to use the router's gateway (192.168.1.1) and DNS if appropriate. You'll never use the bridge's address except to access it's web setup to change something.
9. Change the wireless output to a higher number if you need the extra power or it will stay in it's default settins of 28. Personally, I use 50.

Now the WRT54G will be a transparent bridge. You can still access it's functions via web browser and it's new IP address, 192.168.1.2. Use a switch if you need more wired connections.

It works great, from my experience and is an excellent, cheap bridge.
Sveasoft6
join:2003-12-08
Sweden

Sveasoft6 to doug12

to doug12
Alchemy is pre-release (subscriber release only) but Satori is now a no-cost, stable release.
t30t28t16t12
join:2002-08-27
Santa Ana, CA

t30t28t16t12

So this configuration should work?

- DSL to BEFSR41 wired (upstair) to PCs.
- BEFSR41 wired to D-link DI-614 wireless (next room) AP and wired to two PCs. DHCP off
- WRT54G configured as Client (downstair) wired to two PCs. DHCP off

My concern is how the DI-614 AP communicates with the WRT54G client. Do I have to clone the MAC address from the DI-614 wireless AP to WRT54G?

prestonlewis
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

prestonlewis

Premium Member

said by t30t28t16t12:

My concern is how the DI-614 AP communicates with the WRT54G client. Do I have to clone the MAC address from the DI-614 wireless AP to WRT54G?

I'm not that familiar with the DI-614. I thought it was a wireless router. Are you saying it's just an access point only? If it is a router, that can complicate things if it is connected to a Linksys wired router.

You should not have to clone any MAC addresses using the WRT54G in client (bridge) mode. It's ssid, encryption, password, channel, etc. should match the access point. If the access point has MAC filtering, you will have to include the IP address of the WRT54G in the MAC filtering access table. The WRT54G has to have an IP address that no other device uses but you have to use a static address like 192.168.1.2 because only the WAN port can ask for a DHCP address and in bridge mode, you want the WAN port left unused in the WRT54G. The wired clients that use the WRT54G in bridge mode should be set to use your router as the gateway (192.168.1.1) and should have the correct DNS settings entered. If your setup isn't working, I'd examine the connection between the DI-614 and your Linksys wired router. I'd suspect a problem between those two devices if the WRT has been setup properly.

montee4
Premium Member
join:2004-02-15
Chicago, IL

1 edit

montee4 to prestonlewis

Premium Member

to prestonlewis
prestonlewis:

2 questions..

1) Will you be able to use all 4 ports on the router when it is acting as a bridge?

2) Can you use the WRT54G as a bridge to a non linksys router using the Alchemy firmware?

prestonlewis
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

prestonlewis

Premium Member

said by montee4:

2 questions..

1) Will you be able to use all 4 ports on the router when it is acting as a bridge?
2) Can you use the WRT54G as a bridge to a non linksys router using the Alchemy firmware?

Yes, all 4 LAN ports work fine in bridge (client) mode. You can add a switch to one of the ports to have even more ports available. I've done that without problems. As for your 2nd question, a WRT54G in client (bridge) mode doesn't care what access point it is using. It just needs to have ssid, channel, encryption, etc. set to match. I don't think it matters which version of firmware you are using. As far as I know, Samahdi, Satori, and Alchemy all work the same when it comes to bridging and the brand of access point used isn't an issue.
hjlin
join:2003-01-03
San Jose, CA

hjlin to doug12

to doug12
Another question, after you configure one of the two WRT54G to client mode and form a bridge, can you still connect other wireless pcs to the the (AP) router? Thanks in advance.
Expand your moderator at work
hjlin

hjlin

Re: using WRT54G as a bridge to another WRT54G

Not sure why Mod wiped out a reply earlier, but I am here to answer my own question in case someone else has the same question.

Yes, the AP will still be able to be used as an AP for other wireless clients. I got another WRT54G over the weekend, uploaded the Sveasoft Santori firmware and set it up in client mode as documented by prestonlewis above. The bridge works like a charm!
willmaier
join:2004-07-29

willmaier to prestonlewis

to prestonlewis
I apologize for opening this thread up again, but I've had a rather rough go of things...

I'm using a WRT54G (revision 2, I believe) with the latest stable Sveasoft Satori firmware. I successfully installed the firmware and began configuring the router, as per the topic starter's instructions. I would like to bridge my house 802.11b connection to a PC running Debian Linux (testing, w/2.6.6 kernel). Our wireless AP is a Homeportal 1000SW -- I've set the Network Name/SSID and IP to the best of my ability (our SSID is Phoenix Coop and the IP appears to be static, 64.109.XXX.XXX. I've used the default WEP pass phrase (printed in brackets on the Homeportal's underside), as well.

Despite what seems to me to be a good configuration, I cannot get an IP lease from the Homeportal. I have DHCP turned off on the WRT54G, and when I do:
# dhclient
on my computer, I get several error messages "network down" etc. (dhclient essentially requests a new IP, similar to winipconfig /RENEW, IIRC) Simply, I cannot establish a connection.

It is possible that the wireless network is not functioning well, as the day has been rather wet, but I doubt the functionality has been impaired to such a degree as to render my set up useless.

Thank you for your clear directions, and thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
smellyirish
join:2004-07-20

smellyirish

I am trying this today as well, and what I would like to know is, is it possible to not put ANYTHING in the WAN (internet) port and just create a LAN between the two APs?

So it goes

PC---WRT54G----(LAN)----WRT54G---PC

and this can be used for file-sharing and gaming etc and not sharing Broadband?
is that possible
mjtq
join:2004-07-30
Fort Lauderdale, FL

mjtq to prestonlewis

to prestonlewis
Hi,

I followed the steps to upgrade the firmware and it seems succesfull. However, I haven't been able
to access internet through the wired ports. I haven't
even tried accessing through wireless. However, it
seems like it is connected to the AP as it displays
link rate and AP information in the status window.
This is my setup: I have a US Robotics 8054 wireless
AP/Router downstairs and wan't to use a Linsys WRT54GS
as a bridge and to it I'm going to hook an xbox, vonage(motorola) VoIP, and desktop all wired. I downloaded the Satori version for the
GS and have upgraded it already. The wireless settings
I have already input and seems to be working fine. I'm
concerned about the settings in the basic setup
section and on the wired PCs. What sould I put in the
following sections for the router?

INTERNET SETUP
Internet Connection Type ? Static IP and if so what
gateway and what IP and what mask? or should I put
automatic configuration DHCP?
DNS?

NETWORK SETUP
Local IP address?
Gateway?
Mask?

In the wired PCs:

TCP/ IP settings should be dynamic or static and if
static what should they be?

to further help you answer my questions, this is what
the US Robotics Status page shows:

WAN
MAC Address 00-c0-49-e5-26-73
Connection DHCP Client Connected
IP 192.168.102.100
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.102.1
DNS 24.233.175.145 12.38.60.20
AP ONLY

LAN
MAC Address 00-c0-49-e5-26-72
IP Address 192.168.123.254
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server Enabled DHCP Table

Wireless
MAC Address 00-c0-49-e4-19-a9
ESSID USR8054
Channel 2
WEP 128 bits

PS Is it possible to use a vonage(motorola) device for VoIP connected to one of the wired ports of the wrt54gs immediately or do I have to do any mods to the setup?
acorderob
join:2004-08-15
Spain

acorderob to prestonlewis

to prestonlewis
Hi. I have a problem with the bridge.

It works perfectly except when i set up MAC address filtering in the first router. When i do that the second router connects to the first wirelessly (appears in the wireless status tab), but after the first transmission of actual data (for example, a simple ping to the first router) the connection is broken and i have to reset the second router to get it again.

I want the MAC filtering because the first router says someone else is connecting to it.

I use the Satori 4.0 firmware in both routers. None of them are using the broadband connection (because i have an ADSL router, not a modem).

ridebud
Challenge Accepted
join:2003-12-06
usa

ridebud

said by acorderob:

It works perfectly except when i set up MAC address filtering in the first router. When i do that the second router connects to the first wirelessly (appears in the wireless status tab), but after the first transmission of actual data (for example, a simple ping to the first router) the connection is broken and i have to reset the second router to get it again.

I want the MAC filtering because the first router says someone else is connecting to it.

I use the Satori 4.0 firmware in both routers. None of them are using the broadband connection (because i have an ADSL router, not a modem).

I think when setup this way, both routers will need to have MAC filtering setup exactly the same.

g

prestonlewis
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

prestonlewis to acorderob

Premium Member

to acorderob
said by acorderob:

When using MAC filtering for wireless, every authorized device that get a data packet has to be included in the MAC filter list. So the bridge's MAC address, all client devices, anything that is part of your home wireless network has to be in the MAC filter table (except for the device that is doing the filtering). Remember, MAC address' are hexadecimal. They only use numbers 0-9 and letters from A-F so if you have any letter from G-Z in your MAC client table, you've made a mistake somewhere.

If you're worried about unauthorized use of your wireless network, why not try WEP 64bit encryption? It only requires a 10 digit password key (hexadecimal again) and I usually use the phone number of an out of state relative which is 10 digits long. The bridge and all client devices will have to be set to match it but it's probably better protection than MAC filtering.
prestonlewis

prestonlewis to mjtq

Premium Member

to mjtq
said by mjtq:

1. I had problems with the Satori and ended up using HyperWRT which I now use without problems. If all else fails, try HyperWRT version 1.3 and see if things work.

2. The WRT54G in bridge mode only needs the wireless settings changed. Don't worry about the "basic setup" section since they control the WAN port which should be left unused. You only need to make sure the IP address of the bridge is different from any other device in your network. WRT54Gs usually come preconfigured as 192.168.1.1 and that usually needs to be changed to something else like 192.168.1.2 depending on what router/ap you're using (some routers use 192.168.0.1 for example).

In bridge mode, the WRT54G is only using it's wireless functions and it's switch function and nothing else. DHCP can be turned off if you want or just ignored. DNS doesn't need to be setup. Your wireless client devices should have their gateway setting set to your router, not the bridge, so DHCP requests and DNS requests will go to the router and the bridge will not get those requests. So in each client device, setup the gateway and DNS settings using the router's IP address. DNS/DHCP should work automatically if the gateway (router) is known by the client. If the clients are setup properly, the bridge won't need DNS settings.

For wired PC's connected to the bridge, most people use DHCP (dynamic) and that allows your router (not the bridge) to give it a IP address. If you do use static addresses, make sure you know what address' your router will assign and use something else. For example, my router will assign 192.168.1.100 - 150 so my server has a static address of 192.168.1.90 which the router would never assign and possibly cause conflicts. If you use static address', you may need to know your DNS settings to enter them into the client computer manually or you can use the router's address as the DNS address.

In your wireless settings, I see you're using WEP 128 bit encryption. Make sure all your wireless devices, including the bridge, have the same 26 digit password as the AP. If you use keys (Key 1 for example), they have to be hexadecimal (0-9 and/or A-F only, never G-Z). An example of a 26 digit hexadecimal password for Key 1 might be two phone numbers and 6 letters like:

91655512128036252081ABCDEF
The first 10 numbers is information in the 916 area code, then another 10 numbers that used to be a family phone number in SC followed by the 6 letters allowed in hexadecimal equalling 26 digits. WEP 64 bit encryption requires 10 digits but is less secure.

I don't think you can set up encryption in the Vonage SIP device. That may be a problem for you. If encryption isn't allowed in your SIP device, you may have to turn encryption off and use MAC filtering or plug your SIP device into the router using a wired LAN port and use cordless phones. Good luck. Aren't computers fun?
prestonlewis

prestonlewis to smellyirish

Premium Member

to smellyirish
said by smellyirish:
I am trying this today as well, and what I would like to know is, is it possible to not put ANYTHING in the WAN (internet) port and just create a LAN between the two APs?

So it goes

PC---WRT54G----(LAN)----WRT54G---PC

and this can be used for file-sharing and gaming etc and not sharing Broadband?
is that possible

I think you mean a wireless LAN between the two WRT54Gs without using any WAN ports, right? If so, then yes you can do this but one WRT would have to be in access point mode and the other WRT would have to be in client mode. Both WRTs would have to have different IP addresses. The SSID, channel number, and encryption scheme would have to be the same between both WRTs. Also, the WRT set as the access point would need to have DHCP on if any client gaming/file sharing client needed it and any gateway settings would have to use the APs IP address. I'd turn DHCP to off on the client WRT. DNS settings would be for the access point WRT's IP address if needed for setup on a client.
mjtq
join:2004-07-30
Fort Lauderdale, FL

mjtq to prestonlewis

to prestonlewis
Thanks for your post. It helped clear things up a lot.
smellyirish
join:2004-07-20

smellyirish

Yes, since my post, iv been working hard to get it to work and got it working within the day.

Great guys for helping me and I am very thankful
acorderob
join:2004-08-15
Spain

acorderob to prestonlewis

to prestonlewis
said by prestonlewis:
When using MAC filtering for wireless, every authorized device that get a data packet has to be included in the MAC filter list. So the bridge's MAC address, all client devices, anything that is part of your home wireless network has to be in the MAC filter table (except for the device that is doing the filtering).
My wireless devices are only the router and the bridge. My test was setting MAC filtering in the router, adding the bridge MAC address to the list of authorized addresses. With this filtering activated, after the first transmission (just a ping) the wireless connection between router and bridge is closed, and the transmission fails.
quote:
If you're worried about unauthorized use of your wireless network, why not try WEP 64bit encryption?
I'm currently using WEP-128bit but i have read that it is somewhat insecure (i'm not sure at this point if WPA works correctly with this firmware).

Anyway, even with WEP, some other MAC addresses appear in the wireless status tab, so i suppose others are connecting to my router (even if i don't broadcast my non-default SSID).

ridebud
Challenge Accepted
join:2003-12-06
usa

ridebud to prestonlewis

to prestonlewis
said by prestonlewis:

Yes, all 4 LAN ports work fine in bridge (client) mode. You can add a switch to one of the ports to have even more ports available. I've done that without problems. As for your 2nd question, a WRT54G in client (bridge) mode doesn't care what access point it is using. It just needs to have ssid, channel, encryption, etc. set to match. I don't think it matters which version of firmware you are using. As far as I know, Samahdi, Satori, and Alchemy all work the same when it comes to bridging and the brand of access point used isn't an issue.

with Satori in client mode, only 1 device is allowed to be connected that unit. If you add more it won't work properly.

The client mode of Samahdi and Satori are pretty much the same, Alchemy does thing differently. With Alchemy, the wireless interface becomes the WAN interface of the router. This allows multiple clients to be connected to the client mode WRT (on their own subnet).

When you set a WRT to client mode it loses its ability to be an AP, so devices cannot connect to it via wireless (all devices must be wired to it).

G
juztinp
join:2004-11-06
Victoria, BC

juztinp to doug12

to doug12
This topic rocks. I know I'm a few months behind everybody but using the information in this forum I was able to get my WRT54GS bridging with my WRT54G.

One problem that wasn't corrected in this forum that I found on another one
»www.netstumbler.org/show ··· ?t=12027
is had to do with intermachine communication on the network. I set everything up and machines cabled to either WRT could access the internet but even though they were on the same internal network they had dificulties pinging each other for some reason.

If machine A cabled to the gateway WRT tried to ping machine B cabled to the bridge WRT it would almost never work. After a fresh release/renew one packet in 4 might get through. Very odd behaviour for sure.

The solution was to go to the Administration/Management page and disable 'loopback'. After that pings went through and I was able to setup windows shares which previously had not been possible.

Cheers,

Justin

Yauh
@65.73.x.x

Yauh to doug12

Anon

to doug12
I too am having issues with bridging two WRT54G Aps. I rumming Mandrake Linux on my server to an AP which has a omni antenna, which is then sent to a panel antenna 100 yards away, which is connected to another AP and from there to a Windows machine. I have tried Alchemy as well as Satori, but cannot get either to work properly. I am able to get Satori to work, but not with a pre-shared key. When I disable wireless security this all seems to work. I have also tried different vendors for firmware, meaning the client ap is using the SAtori firmware and the AP is using WiFi-box.net release Version 2.00.8.1h firmware. I originally tried both APs with alchemy and it seemed to be the best option except I could not seem to browse the internet in either PSK or disabled mode.

What am I doing wrong. The DHCP is coming from my linux box, and I am not using any of the other added functionality of the firmware. I simply want to be able to send my DSL signal wirelessly 100 yards away. Any ideas?
pzero
join:2004-10-11
Italy

pzero to prestonlewis

to prestonlewis
said by prestonlewis:

I think you mean a wireless LAN between the two WRT54Gs without using any WAN ports, right? If so, then yes you can do this but one WRT would have to be in access point mode and the other WRT would have to be in client mode. Both WRTs would have to have different IP addresses. The SSID, channel number, and encryption scheme would have to be the same between both WRTs. Also, the WRT set as the access point would need to have DHCP on if any client gaming/file sharing client needed it and any gateway settings would have to use the APs IP address. I'd turn DHCP to off on the client WRT. DNS settings would be for the access point WRT's IP address if needed for setup on a client.
This is what I want to do too.

I have two LinkSys WRT54GS wireless routers.

I would like to use them to setup a wifi bridge between two buildings.

Then I'll attach the computers of each building to the LAN ports of the WRT54GS (wired, not via radio).

I want the computers of both building to be on the same network (e.g. 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0).

The I also want to share the broadband connection, since one of the building has a high speed connection to the Internet using a Cisco router.

What is the best way to realize such wifi bridge?

Set one WRT54GS in AP mode and the other one in client mode?

Or maybe using WDS?

Any other way?

What firmware should I use? The official one, the Sveasoft one, HyperWRT or any other?

Thanks.
pzero

pzero to prestonlewis

to prestonlewis
said by prestonlewis:

I had problems with the Satori and ended up using HyperWRT which I now use without problems. If all else fails, try HyperWRT version 1.3 and see if things work.
So HyperWRT also has the functionaly to set up a WRT54G/WRT54GS in client or AP mode?

I thought only the Sveasoft firmware had this functionality ...

What about the official firmware?

Thanks.
pzero

pzero to ridebud

to ridebud
said by ridebud:

with Satori in client mode, only 1 device is allowed to be connected that unit. If you add more it won't work properly.
This is a big limitation IMHO, any workaround for it?
The client mode of Samahdi and Satori are pretty much the same, Alchemy does thing differently. With Alchemy, the wireless interface becomes the WAN interface of the router. This allows multiple clients to be connected to the client mode WRT (on their own subnet).
This sounds interesting. Will I still be able to use two WRT54G/WRT54GS boxes to create an ethernet (wifi) bridge between two LANs using the same network (e.g. 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0) on both sides of the bridge.

Any ETA about the Alchemy public release?

Thanks a lot.

digixmax
join:2004-02-11
Marlboro, NJ

digixmax

I'm been trying to get my new WRT54G running Satori-4.0 to be a client to my old BEFW11S4 without much success. I was able to ping the BEFW11S4 from a PC which is wired to the WRT54G for just a short period of a minute or so during the course of hours of fiddling.

Can someone who has succedeed in using a WRT54G client with another non-WRT54G wireless router post the client setup configuration and procedure?

Thanks.
claudeo
join:2000-02-23
Redmond, WA

claudeo to prestonlewis

to prestonlewis
said by prestonlewis:

said by mjtq:

I don't think you can set up encryption in the Vonage SIP device. That may be a problem for you. If encryption isn't allowed in your SIP device, you may have to turn encryption off and use MAC filtering or plug your SIP device into the router using a wired LAN port and use cordless phones.
That should not matter. The encryption only applies to the wireless communication between the wireless devices. Things connected by cable to those devices do not participate in that.

digixmax
join:2004-02-11
Marlboro, NJ

digixmax

I just want to report that I am finally able to get my WRT54G in client mode to work with my BEFW11S4. The client WRT is setup based on the guide »homepage.ntlworld.com/li ··· UIDE.pdf. The problem I had appears to be due to the use of wireless MAC filtering on the BEFW11S4. For some reason, even adding the MAC addresses of the client WRT and the attached PC to the filter list did not work, but disabling the wireless MAC filtering entirely and then power-cycling the BEFW11S4 did it.