Search similar:

uniqs
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

[XP Pro] ESENT events in application log?

In the almost 8 months I have had this XP Pro box, I have never before seen any ESENT events in the application log. Starting 36 hours ago, I suddenly have about 50 ESENT events. None of them are errors, just information (id nos. 100, 101, 102, 103) repeated over and over. Why am I suddenly seeing these events? Is this anything to be concerned about? If this is routine information then why haven't I been seeing these events all along?

purelander
Premium Member
join:2003-07-11

purelander

Premium Member

i found this:

»www.monitorware.com/en/e ··· %40ESENT

it is related to the database engine update, perhaps they were generated all the time when you update the sig files, you just happen to not viewing the event after update?
palefox
join:2004-04-20

1 edit

palefox to Mele20

to Mele20
In response to the last post on thread...

The ESENT messages have not been shown before and we just missed them.

I started receiving tons of these messages about 48 hours ago. What's going on with these messages. How can I stop them.

Mele20, have you found a solution yet?

I believe it has something to do with Auto Update.
Has anyone else noticed multiple instances of 4 ESENT entries in the Application log of Event Viewer?

The first one being this:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: ESENT
Event Category: General
Event ID: 100
Date: 8/11/2004
Time: 10:29:30 AM
User: N/A
Computer: ***
Description:
wuauclt (3276) The database engine 5.01.2600.0000 started.

They started right after this, in the System Log:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Windows Update Agent
Event Category: Installation
Event ID: 19
Date: 8/11/2004
Time: 10:28:51 AM
User: N/A
Computer: ***
Description:
Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Automatic Updates

I think the above has to do with the v5 site. I checked my install history and it said my last was the IE update on 8/3.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I had given up on figuring it out. I couldn't find hardly anything on several Google searches. palefox See Profile I think you might be right. I suddenly started seeing these events the day after I installed WU5. I bet that is it.

I just disabled automatic updates service so it will be interesting to see if these events regarding ESENT stop.
palefox

palefox to Mele20

to Mele20
Thanks for replying, Mele. I'll let you know if I find out anything in the other sites I've posted at.

Could you report back if the ESENT messages cease after disabling WU?
palefox

palefox to Mele20

to Mele20
As it just so happens, I did receive a response from the Microsoft Windows Update Newsgroup:
Subject: Re: ESENT Messages

This is a known issue with the WU v5 client. It has to do with how the
client agent interacts with the Jet database engine. This is something
we'll consider fixing in a future version of the WU client. I'm not aware
of work arounds for this issue, sorry.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I had asked in that news group and got no responses probably because I got WU5 when it was still in beta. I should have asked in the private beta SP2 NGs but I didn't have SP2 and didn't even know that I could access those private groups back then. This also explains why I couldn't find much on Google. The issue was too new.

So you were right about the cause. Good detective work! I haven't seen any of the ESENT messages since I disabled the Automatic Updates service. I am glad to finally know what that is about. It was frustrating to see and not know why that was suddenly appearing. I don't mind keeping Automatic Updates service disabled as I don't plan to use WU (I'll get my patches directly from Microsoft download). But for those who are using WU5 it is too bad there is no workaround.

fireflier
Coffee. . .Need Coffee
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
Limbo

1 edit

fireflier to palefox

Premium Member

to palefox
Click for full size
I'm seeing the same crap. I've got autoupdates turned off (well, it automatically downloads updates, but it's SUPPOSED to ask me before installing), yet something appears to have installed without prompting me for permission.

I noticed it last week so I ghosted back to an earlier image. I got up this morning and it was back.

Incidentally, this "thing" doesn't seem to play well with hibernation. Last week, I had my PC set up to go into hibernation late at night and I began getting ESENT messages indicating a related database was corrupt. Not sure what kind of measures MS has to fix this database if it does get screwed up.

Pinan

join:2000-09-02
Murrieta, CA

Pinan

I noticed these a couple weeks back after updating to newest version (5) of the Windows Update checker thingy at Windows update site. I reverted back to 4, disabled updates, and they went away.

At any rate, I'm fairly sure that version 5 caused this

fireflier
Coffee. . .Need Coffee
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
Limbo

fireflier

Premium Member

I think you're right, it's something to do with v5. Strangely, my PC decided to update itself to v5 around 8:00 this morning without even asking me (despite the fact that I have autoupdate set to ask me before installing crap). How did you revert back to 4?
palefox

palefox to Mele20

to Mele20
I have WU alert me before installing also.

Evidently, from the user responses, the V5 update is automatic whether you have that option ticked or not. Like Mele reported, the only way to stop these messages would be to turn off WU completely.

Pinan

Murrieta, CA

Pinan to fireflier

to fireflier
said by fireflier:
How did you revert back to 4?

Sorry, should have said. I used Acronis True Image. I thought I read somewhere else that you could another way though. I used XP Lite once too. Yanked it with that, then went to the site and was prompted to install 4.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Mele20

Premium Member

I suggest that you just leave WU at version 5 because very soon all XP computers will be REQUIRED to use version 5. The only solution I see is to go to Services and disable automatic updates. If you don't use WU often this will work fine. Subscribe to the Technet bulletins and then when you get a bulletin and it applies to you go to Services and start Automatic Updates and put it back to automatic. You have to do both. Then you will be able to access WU5. (Make sure BITS is on manual). If you get an error message (you shouldn't) reboot and try WU again. When you are finished go back to Services and stop Automatic Updates and set to disable again. If this is too much of a hassle then download your patches from Microsoft web site and forget WU. Also, be sure to contact Microsoft and let them know how you feel about this.

Edited to add that I still have NO ESENT events in Event Viewer since I stopped and then disabled the Automatic Updates Service on the evening of August 12. I am using SP1a but I would think it would be same with SP2 as WU version 5 is the culprit here not which service pack you have installed.

Pinan

Murrieta, CA

Pinan

Yes, I have disabled Auto Updates (all along), so now will have to rig it to still be able to get updates, at least until I stay with SP2. Tried it, didn't like it.

Thanks for the note.

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

1 edit

Merak75 to Mele20

MVM

to Mele20
Are any of you using NAV? I did see this in my event viewer but I just restored to an image of 2 days ago. The reason was that the last NAV program update (WMI) made alot of DCOM errors because I had not installed SP2. The only difference now is I do not have the latest program update from NAV 2004 and I do not see this ESENT event in my Event Viewer.

But I guess it could be coincidence if WU updated itself to v5 without me knowing. How can I check the version of WU I am running?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

No, I don't use NAV. I have NOD32 version 2 (not the beta) installed.

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
Willoughby, OH

Merak75

MVM

Then it definetly was coincidence, sorry.
palefox

palefox to Mele20

to Mele20
And I'm using AVG free. Interesting that you aren't seeing the ESENT mssgs., though.

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
Willoughby, OH

Merak75

MVM

Well, I will confirm that I do see the message now. It just started happening after I visited Windows Update this evening.
y2kmike99
join:2004-08-23
Deland, FL

y2kmike99 to Mele20

to Mele20
All of you are right it was added with SP2 for Auto update , if the event is annoying you can stop it by a reg hack go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet\Services\Eventlog\System\Software Update Services Client]
and delete the entire Key,if you are unsure export the key before you delete it.