how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bvanvactor

join:2004-07-07
Plymouth, IN

help setting up resort hotspot

Hi I am new to this forum and looking for advice on what access point would work best to install a "hotspot" so the guest at our resort can surf the net for free. We don't want to bill them for the time they are on so that is not important. We would like however for guest not to be able to see other guest or resort computers. I appreciate any and all suggestions. thanks in advance

wavguy2003
370's Forever
Premium
join:2004-03-18
Saint Charles, IL

You'll need to look for an AP that blocks wireless users from seeing each other. There are a few AP's out there that do that. The DLink DWP-2100 does, and I think some LinkSys may, and SmartBridges does too. It may be hard to find since that kind of support isn't always documented on the feature list on the box. I'm sure there are those here that could chime in on this.

You'd have to put a small router between the AP and the network (or get a Wireless Router with that capability) and your network that does NAT and has a configurable firewall. That usually works in preventing users from seeing the rest of the network.

You'll probably want to prevent non-guests from using the network as well. A good choice that would do all the above would be from Colubris. The CN3200 has a built in access controller. It'll intercept users and do a redirect to an internal login page. You can also configure internal usernames and passwords. It will also block users from seeing each other and it does NAT and has a configurable firewall.

The unit has a soft 802.11a,b,g radio. So you can configure it for 802.11a, or 802.11b/g by just changing a parameter.

The older CN3000 is 802.11b only and a bit cheaper.

By defining preset logins, you can hand them out to guests, but casual drive by's can't get in due to the login.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4
reply to bvanvactor

Actually your best bet is the ZyXEL B-4000 router.
»www.us.zyxel.com/products/model.···21876859

It is designed exactly for your scenario (value added service). You can use the provided printer or use a one that you already have to print user name and passwords which can be entered thru SSL encryption. As well, all wifi users and wired users are separated from each other.

Lots of other options and features suggest that you have a read through the user manual and will be happy to answer any questions you may have from the guide.
»ftp://ftp.us.zyxel.com/ZyAIR_B-4000/do···uide.pdf
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins". Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

wavguy2003
370's Forever
Premium
Saint Charles, IL

Ahem..The Colubris CN3x00 is *also* designed exactly for that same scenario and has been used in many large and small hotspot implementations.

But I don't think we should get into a marketing contest here.

Let him look through the choices, get ideas and make his own decision.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS

Concur I would have to have a read through the user guide before commenting further. Thanks for the info.

wavguy2003
370's Forever
Premium
Saint Charles, IL

Totally agree with you! I've played with the B-4000. It's a neat little box. The printer with the button to spit out coupons was a slick idea. Great for mom & pop shops.

I have a CN3200 here for guest access in our office that I set up for internal authentication. It took me about 10 minutes to get it running.

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
reply to bvanvactor

Ahh okay the CN3200 has replaced the CN3000 which is similar to the Wsg-4000. Radius server based authentication. The B-4000 is based on local usage (no requirement to tap into external databases - autonomous operation). Looking at the PDF file the CN3200 rocks for a radius server based hotspot entity and is scalable to larger areas. Very attractive unit!

Depending upon how the poster wants to administer logging in etc.... would probably indicate which method ie printer based or screen entry or via radius server list is preferred and then narrow down on particular units.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins". Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

wavguy2003
370's Forever
Premium
Saint Charles, IL

The CN3x00 can have an internal list of users as well. It's easy to set up to do this as well as pull a login page from an external web server rather than use the generic internal one built into the unit. That would allow the use of a customized login page and still not require external RADIUS.

Either way he goes, B-4000 or CN3x000 he'd get what he needs.