Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

arcaneind

join:2003-05-06
Orangeville, ON
Reviews:
·NetTalk

My neighbours telephone line is in my house!

I had to fight with Sympatico to get DSL in my house (my neighbours on either side could get it, but I was originally not a candidate). It has been a great connection for me, but today I plugged in a phone on a jack I don't normally use to discover a dial-tone when my wife was talking on the phone.

I figured out that this wasn't right and called a friend with call display to find out that I was calling from a neighbour's line! I called Bell and now they want to charge me $80 to get my neighbour's line out of my house and the jack hooked up properly!

Customer Service said they couldn't help with the repair costs. Any suggestions?:o

Premium
join:2003-06-18
Canada
kudos:1

In my townhouse condo unit all the pairs are stringed from 1 unit to another. Gotta wonder about the idiots Bell hires.

BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Whitby, ON
reply to arcaneind

said by arcaneind:
I had to fight with Sympatico to get DSL in my house (my neighbours on either side could get it, but I was originally not a candidate). It has been a great connection for me, but today I plugged in a phone on a jack I don't normally use to discover a dial-tone when my wife was talking on the phone.

I figured out that this wasn't right and called a friend with call display to find out that I was calling from a neighbour's line! I called Bell and now they want to charge me $80 to get my neighbour's line out of my house and the jack hooked up properly!

Customer Service said they couldn't help with the repair costs. Any suggestions?:o

Start making long distance calls on this, they will remove it fairly quickly

Dale
--
"He is no fool to give what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary to the Aucas, Martyr January 8, 1956

XoX

join:2003-08-19
Qc, Canada
reply to arcaneind

Nah don't do anything bad... Just plug a phone in it but leave it off the hook so in theory he won't be able to get a dial tone... After that, wait and see what happen

EveryName
Premium
join:2001-12-05
Montreal
kudos:1
reply to arcaneind

Do you like your neighbors? Nothing can happen to you, if you make long distance calls. According to Bell's policy, its your neighbor's responsibility. Read it in your phone book.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to 63353372

said by 63353372:
In my townhouse condo unit all the pairs are stringed from 1 unit to another. Gotta wonder about the idiots Bell hires.

bell doesn't wire up houses, the electricians that the builders hire do...or perhaps another tenant tapped into the neighbours line years ago...there are many possibilities.
--
"The only thing more greedy than a corporation, are its customers."

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to arcaneind

Contact your neighbour and have them call 611 to report a "foreign set" on his/her line. That will get them started....make sure you plug in the phone in the jack you mentioned so the tech can find it.

DaJatt

@qc.sympatico.ca
reply to arcaneind

Greetings,

You seem to have a "crossed line" issue, and it is Bell responsibility, should not cost you anything.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
reply to arcaneind

the guys that came when you made the service call about being too far from the CO loop did something to your line, and it is their responsibility to fix it.

They probaly extended 4 wires from your neighbours house into yours. Your Green and Red are probaly ur neighbours black n yellow pair, and the moron tech probaly did vice a versa for your black n yellow pair, he probaly wired it to your neighbours green n red pair. The spare jack you plugged into, have a look at it and find out which wires are conected to the Tip n Ring.

Glen1
Premium,MVM
GTA Canada
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to arcaneind

Actually the other jack probably used to be a "second" service in your house. It was disconnected previous to you moving in...something to that effect. The "drop" wire that it was fed by was not taken down...just left in place and still connected at the terminal up the pole. Your neighbour had a trouble last year and the tech came out, did a line transfer (pair change) and didn't check for foreign drop wires in the next terminal...this could be the reason the jack is now energized...happens quite frequently. Have your neighbour call 611 and report a "foreign set" on his line.

arcaneind

Orangeville, ON
Reviews:
·NetTalk

Glen1, I think that is exactly what happened. The guy that lived here ran a company out of the house.

Also, when I said neighbour, I didn't mean right next door. The house is six away from mine!

Does this mean that they don't need to come into my house at all to remove the line? Is there any way to get Bell to correct the jack at the demarcation point in my house for free?

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

said by arcaneind:
Glen1, I think that is exactly what happened. The guy that lived here ran a company out of the house.

Also, when I said neighbour, I didn't mean right next door. The house is six away from mine!

Does this mean that they don't need to come into my house at all to remove the line? Is there any way to get Bell to correct the jack at the demarcation point in my house for free?

i don't think there will be a charge for it...call up 611 and ask them.
--

arcaneind

Orangeville, ON
Reviews:
·NetTalk

said by dirtyjeffer:

It was 611 that told me there would be a charge!

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

said by arcaneind:
said by dirtyjeffer:

It was 611 that told me there would be a charge!

but did you tell them there was a foreign set on the line...that you had access to someone else's phone line in your house?
--

dslrocker3

join:2002-05-26
Toronto
reply to arcaneind

If you make them understand your situation, there will be absolutely no charge. This is because of the fact that the wire has to be hooked up in a such as way outside your house that is making the signal come into your house. This means that they simply have to detatch the incorrect cabling. And this also means that it must be and outside wiring issue. As for physically removing the jack, well that's up to you to do but once the wiring that is coming into your house is removed, this will be unnessary beause there will be nothing hooked up to the other end of it.

arcaneind

Orangeville, ON
Reviews:
·NetTalk

I must be confusing the issue here.

I don't want the jack to be just disconnected. I actually want the jack to work in my house on my line!

If it is just disconnected (which I don't want), I'm sure that there won't be a charge. It is correcting the situation that is the issue.

bylo
Premium
join:2004-05-04
Waterloo, ON

said by arcaneind:
I don't want the jack to be just disconnected. I actually want the jack to work in my house on my line!
If this jack was prevously installed for a second line then it was never connected to your primary phone line. Since the wiring is inside your home it's your responsibility to connect in the way you want.

quote:
It is correcting the situation that is the issue.
But what you're asking for isn't a "correction" since that jack was never connected to your primary line.

dslrocker3

join:2002-05-26
Toronto

2 edits
reply to arcaneind

All Bell is obligated to do is to remove the wiring on the outside of the house so that you can't listen in on your neighbor's calls or make/receive calls when you shouldn't be. If you want the jack to work on your line, this is the homeowner's responsibility. I know that's not the answer you want to hear but you will have to either pay someone or do it yourself. I saw the picture you showed in another one of your posts. All you have to do is get about 2 feet of wire (since it is right beside the other) and connect it to the jack that you want to work properly. This shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 minutes. Or if you wish you can pay someone about $50-$100 to perform this task - your choice, but either way, it's not Bell's responsibility. Bell's just going to remove the wiring outside. To do it yourself, it's a simple as hooking up 2 wires (and they'll even be color coded for you).

arcaneind

Orangeville, ON

Okay...so I'm stuck with being responsible for fixing the jack myself.

In that mess of wires, where should I start after I strip that white cable plugged into the demarcation point?

Glen1
Premium,MVM
GTA Canada
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to arcaneind

Try to find someone who knows how to do the wiring, you may end up disconnecting everything and paying for a site visit anyway. Why not call Bell and ask them to send a technician to do it properly. You will be charged but in the long run if you don't know what you are doing this may be the best way.

bylo
Premium
join:2004-05-04
Waterloo, ON

said by Glen1:
Why not call Bell and ask them to send a technician to do it properly. You will be charged but in the long run if you don't know what you are doing this may be the best way.
I've heard that if you ask about their wiring insurance plan, they'll let you enroll before they send the tech out to your place. That way you'll be charged whatever the minimum contract is on that plan ($5/month x 12 months?) rather than a full service call, which could cost $100.

Perhaps someone else here can confirm this and how much it will cost.

arcaneind

Orangeville, ON

"Wiring Insurance" would be good for $60 if Bell would sort out the mess at my demarcation point and the lot...

pcjunkie8

join:2003-12-01
Alton, ON
reply to arcaneind

Well I replied about this in your picture of Demarc post but simply the you have to dial tones coming in from the street and a Bell tech who installed dial tone 6 house's down did not relize it was looped to your house.

Dial tone comes from Central Office to Pole/Terminal then to House (more to it but simply put). One day a pair of wires from the C.O. came into your house as line 1, then a second line was brought in, then they moved out and their lines relocated and you moved in....Bell sent you your linen 1 on the same pair from the C.O. so no need to send a tech and your second jack was probaly dead until 6 house down wanted a phone line, Bell sends dial tone on same pair as your line 2 (because they are getting low on pairs) Bell tech comes out to pole/terminal and has his assignment sheet that tells him what pair from the C.O. to use, finds that pair and instead of disconnecting from your house loops it to destination of 6 houses down.

You say you need that jack! why? by a 2 dollar splitter and plug it into your good working jack....
and/or
Go to Demar outside an open up the cover and unplug one of the mod cords, check your phone to see if it works if does not see if not then plug it back in and unplug the 2nd cord....now that jack downstairs has no dial tone no nuttin!
Technicaly Bell owns the wire leading to the house so you have no say as to what comes into demarc but you do have control as to what comes out!

Cheers
Phone god!

pcjunkie8

join:2003-12-01
Alton, ON
reply to arcaneind

Ohh and dont by insurance....how ofetn do you ever get an inside problem let alon an outside one! most calls are for static and are fixed soon enough!
If you ever have an issue with Bell and 611 then ask for a supervisor and if problem persist then ask for the Vice Presidents office and complain there....they will take care of you one way or another but you just got to push and go high because....it's Ma Bell!

Glen1
Premium,MVM
GTA Canada
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe

1 edit
reply to arcaneind

Just as a clarification. The cable pair that you are working on may appear in several different terminals on your street. This is a "multiple appearance" rule. If your pair has a drop attached to it 4 houses away then that will be considered a "foreign drop" and can cause intermittent troubles as well as extend your distance from the C.O. The cable pairs sometimes appear in apartment ITs as well. I can remember doing 2 line "line transfers" where you have to take one customer off a cable pair because no spares exist in your terminal....lots of work for your customer to be put back in service...just an fyi about telephone cabling.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to bylo

said by bylo:
I've heard that if you ask about their wiring insurance plan, they'll let you enroll before they send the tech out to your place. That way you'll be charged whatever the minimum contract is on that plan ($5/month x 12 months?) rather than a full service call, which could cost $100.

Perhaps someone else here can confirm this and how much it will cost.

The Wire Care won't help you in this regard. Wire Care is only supposed to cover wiring problems. You don't have a wiring problem, you have a jack you'd like to install on your main line. Installation and fixing are 2 different things.
--
»www.fiberal.ca »www.canadianally.com »Canadian Wireless FAQ

arcaneind

Orangeville, ON
Reviews:
·NetTalk
reply to pcjunkie8

said by pcjunkie8:
Bell sent you your linen 1 on the same pair from the C.O. so no need to send a tech and your second jack was probaly dead until 6 house down wanted a phone line...

You say you need that jack! why? by a 2 dollar splitter and plug it into your good working jack....

Go to Demar outside an open up the cover and unplug one of the mod cords, check your phone to see if it works if does not see if not then plug it back in and unplug the 2nd cord....now that jack downstairs has no dial tone no nuttin!
Technicaly Bell owns the wire leading to the house so you have no say as to what comes into demarc but you do have control as to what comes out!

The line has always had a dial tone. Even before that house was built a year-and-a-half ago. Can't explain that.

My problem is that there isn't another phone jack anywhere near that one and the room is completely finished, so I can't string it easily (I'm screwed for setting up my home theatre as well).

I'm simply going to have to fix it at the demarc.

arcaneind

Orangeville, ON
Reviews:
·NetTalk
reply to arcaneind

Tech came today and fixed the situation at the demarc outside prior to going to the box. He also hot-wired my second line to the first so that my jack now works as it should.

Nice guy. It took him about 2 minutes and said that it is a common problem in my area...oh well.

Thx guys