Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's some more pics from Peterborough - that I received this morning.

FishPants
The Art Of Pants
Premium Member
join:2001-11-19
Canada Eh?

FishPants to JayMan26

Premium Member

to JayMan26
I know it sucks for the people that have been flooded, but I would try and make the best of it.. How often could you say you jetski'ed down your road?

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver

Not a good idea. Since the water is very muddy, there could be hidden dangers just under the surface of the water.

FishPants
The Art Of Pants
Premium Member
Canada Eh?

FishPants

Premium Member

said by MacGyver:
Not a good idea. Since the water is very muddy, there could be hidden dangers just under the surface of the water.

I believe people might call that "exciting"

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario

Kalford to FishPants

MVM

to FishPants
said by FishPants:
How often could you say you jetski'ed down your road?

heh. ..apparently the brother of the guy that took the pictures I posted was thinking of doing just that in the Zellars parking lot.

kim
MVM,
join:2001-03-25
ON

kim to MacGyver

MVM,

to MacGyver
They said on the news last night that because it's backed up sewers the water is unsafe. How unsafe they didn't really specify. The Health (Representative??) was advising you to stay covered up, wear gloves when cleaning and try to avoid contaminating clean areas.

It looks awful. I feel for the people trying to deal with this. Where would you start when trying to clean up?

Kalford See Profile In that first pic it's hard to tell where the actual dock is.

Kalford
MVM
Ontario

2 edits

Kalford

MVM

The edge of the dock should be just past the tie block (pillar) in the first picture.

I believe the shot is right down by Little Lake near the rowing club boathouse (at least it used to be for the rowing club .. .I haven't lived there for years, so it may not be anymore). The other picture with the same building shows Jackson creek flowing into Little Lake. If I recall correctly (don't hold me to it) that level should be about 5-10 feet lower.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to MacGyver

to MacGyver
said by MacGyver:

And it's full of raw sewage.

We own a house in Peterborough. I talked to the property management people yesterday and our property is fine.

The process would be that once the water receded, you call the insurance company. They do the cleanup if you have coverage. That's why you pay insurance premiums. Property insurance premiums in Peterborough aren't expensive. This also holds true if you are a tenant. The landlord insures the property; you insure your stuff. The two coverages should mesh and cover you in a case like this.

The folks I feel most for are the business people around King and George and around the old Peterborough Square. They have a major mess. The Holiday Inn was also heavily damaged, as was the Extendicare building up near the hospital and Loblaws at Landsdowne Place.

Thank goodness for ExpressVu. CHEX TV is on ExpressVu and we could watch the coverage on Newswatch at 6:00 last night. Kinda neat to see people we knew when we lived in Peterpatch!
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

said by DKS:
That's why you pay insurance premiums. Property insurance premiums in Peterborough aren't expensive.
After this mess I can see that changing come renewal time.

The raw sewage thing is the big deal right now. And I think I heard on the news this morning there was some concern they could no longer guarantee safe drinking water either.

Can anyone confirm that?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by mr weather:

The raw sewage thing is the big deal right now. And I think I heard on the news this morning there was some concern they could no longer guarantee safe drinking water either.

Can anyone confirm that?

The municipal drinking water in Peterborough is still OK. It is drawn from the Otonabee River well above the flooded area. The area of concern is below Lock 19. Wells may be contaminated and further down, properties on Rice Lake are under a Boil Water Advisory. Peterborough was still dumping raw sewage into the Otonabee River.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

The folks I feel most for are the business people around King and George and around the old Peterborough Square. They have a major mess.
I forgot about the Square! Much of that is underground, damn that would be nasty.

FishPants
The Art Of Pants
Premium Member
Canada Eh?

FishPants to JayMan26

Premium Member

to JayMan26
Eww raw sewage and a jetski.. The last thing I would want to see is a log being fired out of the back of the jetski at 100mph.. Ugh.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan to JayMan26

Premium Member

to JayMan26
In the 5th picture of Kalford's post. It shows a red brick building. I was in Peterborough yesterday and the Christian Book store owner is freinds with the guy that runs an antique shop in the basement of that red building. The bookstore owner told me that the guy has expensive antiques ($6000 range) and does not have insurance and has 6 feet of water in his store. When I was in Peterborough at noonish, the main street (George) did not look like the pictures of Kalfords anymore, the water was gone, but mud was everywhere, and they were pumping water from basements (including the antique shop).

dale
BigSensFan

BigSensFan to JayMan26

Premium Member

to JayMan26
Below is a letter from a former Professor of mine

Hello Everyone:

I have forwarded this to several people who may have seen the news.
You may pass it along to whomever you wish. We have had so many phone
calls last night and this morning. We were near the epicenter of the
flood damage, but we were not affected by the flood. Our home is
about 12 inches higher than those on the ends of the street. However,
many homes have been affected and some of the homes are severely
damaged. I will fill you in the whole story later. After leaving for
breakfast at 6:30 AM Christine and I couldn't get back to our
house.
We were in two cars and got separated in the storm. I spent the best
part of the day volunteering at the Evinrude Centre. I was blessed
with many opportunities to offer words of encouragement and in two
cases to offer prayers for people recently bereaved. Most of the time
I was mopping the floors to help prevent the caregivers from slipping
as they brought the ill and infirmed into the emergency shelter. Cell
phones were down but I learned later that Christine waded two blocks
home in waist deep water. Scary! But we are safe and dry here. I have
wanted to say, "Thank God" but can't quite process that
yet seeing I
have met so many people, Christian and non-Christian, who have had a
very rough time. If I give God thanks publicly for sparing us, what
do I say to the others? I visited several families on our street last
night and one person said to me. with deep pathos in his voice,
"I
don't pray and nothing happened to us. My neighbour prays and
goes to
church and everything is damaged. I should have been flooded but I
wasn't!" All I could say was "the rain falls on the just
and the
unjust." In my heart I prayed, "Lord, I have been spared.
Why? I
certainly don't deserve a smoother ride in life." I guess
grace is
complicated! Anyway, maybe, in time, it will provide many
opportunities for witness. On Sunday night, God willing, I'm
going to
preach on how to survive stormy weather! God has certainly used this
situation to show us how much people here in Peterborough love each
other. I was amazed at the level of compassion and skill exhibited in
the Evinrude Centre yesterday by scores of caregivers. I have always
heard this city called "Peterborough the Good;" we may now
call
it "Peterborough the Loving." Blessings,

garry

Dr. Garry E. Milley
Master's College & Seminary

Kalford
MVM
Ontario

Kalford to JayMan26

MVM

to JayMan26
»www.pulse24.com/News/Top ··· page.asp
said by article:
The food bank was devastated by the rain and Sue Cox of the Daily Bread Food Bank in Toronto urged people to donate money to the Kawartha Food Share Program.

If you'd like to help, send a cheque to:

P.O. Box 1413, Peterborough, Ont., K9J 7A2.

I'm sure there will be lots more assistance and help centers set up shortly.

Peterborough needs our help folks. Please give where you can.

FishPants
The Art Of Pants
Premium Member
Canada Eh?

FishPants

Premium Member

said by Kalford:
»www.pulse24.com/News/Top ··· page.asp
said by article:
The food bank was devastated by the rain and Sue Cox of the Daily Bread Food Bank in Toronto urged people to donate money to the Kawartha Food Share Program.

If you'd like to help, send a cheque to:

P.O. Box 1413, Peterborough, Ont., K9J 7A2.

I'm sure there will be lots more assistance and help centers set up shortly.

Peterborough needs our help folks. Please give where you can.

Gotta wonder why charities don't get with the times and set up a paypal account, much easier then rummaging around for a stamp and cheque book (I don't remember the last time I had to write a cheque for anything).. Hell even take visa, something. Anyhow this definitely warrants the rummaging, but I wonder how many more would donate if they had an easier method.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to donoreo

to donoreo
Therw as a shot on CHEX last night of the King/George intersection. There is a basement store in there. Flooded to the ceiling.
DKS

DKS to FishPants

to FishPants
said by FishPants:
Gotta wonder why charities don't get with the times and set up a paypal account, much easier then rummaging around for a stamp and cheque book (I don't remember the last time I had to write a cheque for anything).. Hell even take visa, something. Anyhow this definitely warrants the rummaging, but I wonder how many more would donate if they had an easier method.

Cost, cost, cost. For food bank operations, which run on a shoestring and lots of volunteers, the cost of receiving a donation by credit card or even PayPal is out of the budget. The computers in food banks are often 2 or 3 generations back. Then there are the CRA requirements to track donations and remit receipts. A cheque is preferred, believe me.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON

1 edit

BigSensFan

Premium Member

said by DKS:
said by FishPants:

Cost, cost, cost. For food bank operations, which run on a shoestring and lots of volunteers, the cost of receiving a donation by credit card or even PayPal is out of the budget. The computers in food banks are often 2 or 3 generations back. Then there are the CRA requirements to track donations and remit receipts. A cheque is preferred, believe me.

Agreed, however they can accept paypal NON credit card for free and they do not charge you to withdraw from the paypal account.

here is a link to some pics of PTBO taken yesterday

»www.daneagleton.com

Dale

edit: to make a hyperlink

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
Depends how the 'flood' occurred. If it's sewer backup and you have coverage, great.

However, if it's water coming in your doors or windows from an overflowing river, that's 'Act of God', and won't be covered with a standard policy.

The Peterborough area has both, so I can see adjusters and property owners clashing over how the water got in the basement.

Kawartha
It's 5 O'Clock somewhere right??
Premium Member
join:2002-11-11
Peterborough, ON

1 edit

Kawartha to JayMan26

Premium Member

to JayMan26

more: FloodPix

Click for full size
Chamberlain Place
Click for full size
Chamberlain Place
Click for full size
Chamberlain St
Click for full size
Maneice
Click for full size
Aftermath
Click for full size
Reynolds Crt
Click for full size
Bethune an McDonnel
Here are some I took...

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

What streets?

Kalford
MVM
Ontario

1 edit

Kalford to Kawartha

MVM

to Kawartha
said by Kawartha:
Here are some I took...Bethune and McDonnel. . . .

Bethune looks a little cleaner than I remember it before I moved away. (sorry couldn't resist )

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Kawartha

to Kawartha
If you lived in the flood plain of Jackson Creek, you had a problems.

BTW, did the Pagoda bridge in Jackson Park survive? I see that the Parkhill Road bridge over Jackson Park may be heavily damaged.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to Kawartha

Premium Member

to Kawartha
Wow so there are still parts of the town under water a week later (ref Maneice)?

That's a lot of crap to be disposed of! And I can see why the Board of Health issued warnings to kids to stay out of the garbage piles. If they get the hot weather like we're getting it's gonna smell REAL good after a while.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by mr weather:
If they get the hot weather like we're getting it's gonna smell REAL good after a while.

i heard Peterborough always smells like that.
PtboGirl
join:2004-07-22
Peterborough, ON

PtboGirl to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan

Re: Peterborough Flood Pics (Links)

Hello All,

This is coming from a personally lucky survivor...my house was fine, unfortunately everyone else I know and all my family....not so lucky...I've had enough of raw sewage

For those that wish to donate to either the Food bank or the Flood Relief fund via other means then mailing a cheque, I've included the links below. If you go to the bank to deposit, have them transfer the money to a Ptbo branch...for every dollar donated "locally" the provincial gov't will donate 2, every dollar helps those in dire need.

As well the LCBO has requested that all the stores collect Food Bank donations to be forwarded to Ptbo, contact your local stores to confirm participation and send actual food products that way.

Something often forgotten in times like this is the infants, the three year olds can survive on KD for a week or longer...the babies can't. Baby food, and diapers (once wet they are useless) and formula will never go to waste at a food bank. Nothing is worse then a screaming baby.

Thanks to everyone for caring!

S.

Financial Donations
»www.city.peterborough.on ··· in17.htm
»www.redcross.ca/article. ··· &tid=001
PtboGirl

PtboGirl to mr weather

to mr weather

Re: more: FloodPix

There are entire neighbourhoods around town that literally smell like like an outhouse....a well used outhouse

After removing everything in my mothers basement, removing the carpet, insulation, studs, vapour barrier...everything down to the concrete, and scrubbing every surface with bleach, several times...it still smells of urine, and she only had a foot of sewage, I really feel for those people that had 6 feet of it.

Dark Shoes
Premium Member
join:2002-06-27
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

Dark Shoes to JayMan26

Premium Member

to JayMan26

Re: Peterborough Flood Pics (Links)

I sent a donation to the Flood Relief Fund today. Hope everyone pulls through okay and that things get back to normal soon. I'm sure every little contribution will help in some way.