how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

marat650

join:2004-07-22
Daly City, CA

[COMCAST] Do Amplifiers really work?

I am going to get Comcast next week [digital cable & high speed] and wanted to find out if i should ask the installer
to hook up a amplifier, i mean do they really work?

Also, if he will hook it up, where is the best place to do it, before the splitter of after?

And is there such a thing as a "better" amplifier?

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy341
Bye
Premium
join:2000-01-06
localhost

Of course they work, when they're needed. You don't just hook up an amplifier for the hell of it.

kfog

@nas11.los-angeles2.c
reply to marat650

If you are splitting your signal more that 3 ways then they might help slightly. Otherwise I don't think they help that much. If you are getting digital cable and splitting the signal 3 ways or less you should not need an amplifier.

imrf
Premium
join:2002-06-06
Utica, MI
reply to marat650

1) Yes, they work. I need one to feed my 5 sets after my modem.

2) After the modem split. He will want the drop to hit a two way, with one leg going to the modem and the other leg to the input of the amp, then out of the amp to your final splitter.

3) Sure, the one that the cable company provides. It will probably be either a Viewsonics or an Electroline, both are excellent.

cjynx
Whatchu Talkin' Bout

join:2003-01-13
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to marat650

I have a total of 6 splits and am close to adding a 7th. It helped bring back the signal to where it needed to be for the HD box to pick up things like the music channels that I never watch/listen to. There are different kinds also. We have the digital phone service so it had to be some two way amp that would let the phone service go through in both directions or something like that.

malvado6
I pee on Bushes.

join:2003-09-13
reply to marat650

If you get a competent tech, you really should have no say on whether you get an amp or not.

marat650

Daly City, CA
reply to marat650

I will be using ONE 5 way splitter, then i'll run induvidual cables to all of my 3 digital cable boxes, one cable for high speed and one for regular tv cable [non digital]

I don't know if Comcast will provide me with a 5 way aplitter but i hear that the less splitters you have the better the signal is, true?

Also, i had RCN while back and they gave me a Viewsonics Amp, can i use it with Comcast?

kcharg
Kcharg
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Forney, TX

When we come out and do an install our network is designed to support up to 4 total outlets without an amplifier (In most cases). So by your having a total of five it would depend on how your picture looks after the install but keep in mind Comcast charges for amplifiers. In Dallas an amplifier costs approx. $32 each.

kcharg
--
kcharghttp://home.attbi.com/~kcharg/

cjynx
Whatchu Talkin' Bout

join:2003-01-13
Pittsburgh, PA

When I got mine, they never charged us for it. Is that because of the $2.95 a month in home wiring maintenance thing?

Gurt me

join:2003-06-23
Normal, IL
reply to kcharg

I didn't have any in home wiring maintenance plan and they gave me an amp free of charge, my HSI service wouldn't work if I didn't have it so I'm guessing they provide it for free if absolutely needed.

briankelly9
Premium
join:2002-09-11
reply to marat650

If you are going to wire them yourself homerun them all, i think you got that already. they dont have 5 ways around here its 4 or 6. in either case you should wire like IMRF did main cable to a 2 way splitter one side to your modem other side to amp if needed then to a 4 way splitter then to your sets. also if your fishing them down from the attic drill your holes in the top plate big enough that later if you wanted to run something else to those location you wont need to drag drill and all to the attic. i use like a 7/8 auger bit. later if you want to add a telephone or ethernet to one of those rooms you could drop it in the same bay as the cable jack. just a thought. and of course use RG6 wire if you dont have good tools for compression fittings just run all the wires and the cableguy can put on the fittings. viewsonics are good amps as well as electroline.

marat650

Daly City, CA

1 edit

So what if i use a 3 way splitter AND a 2 way, will the two lines going from the 3 way show better picture then the two going from the 2 way?

brian, why can't i just put the amp before it hits any splitters, doesn't amp improve HSI as well?

briankelly9
Premium

your not supposed to run the modem thru the amp it wont help anthing it will just possibly cause problems so i never do. the less splitters ,amps, devices, whatever ou have before the modem the better. if you have new cable with good signal coming to the house you may not even need one at all. so you have a modem and 3 tvs ??? if that were the case I would just try 1 4 way splitter and see how that works.

marat650

Daly City, CA

i actually have 1 high speed modem and 4 TV's, 3 have digital boxes, 1 regular cable, total lines = 5

so what if i use a 2 way splitter, one way to modem and one way to another splitter [4 way] for all of my tv sets

imrf
Premium
Utica, MI

1 recommendation

said by marat650:
so what if i use a 2 way splitter, one way to modem and one way to another splitter [4 way] for all of my tv sets
That would be smartest way to do it. And if those 4 tvs need the amp, you can install it between the 2-way and the 4-way.

marat650

Daly City, CA

Thanks for your help.

One mroe question thought, what if instead of that 2 way i put a 3 way, one line to HSI and other to one of the digital boxes, will that digital box get better signal then the 2 other ones that will be on the second splitter?

imrf
Premium
Utica, MI

Yes, that would work too. Just put the modem on the 3.5db leg of the 3-way.

shades

join:2001-06-26
Williamstown, NJ
reply to marat650

My internet connection has been up and down and my tv picture has always looked bad especially analog channles, only have 4 tv's hooked up and the cable modem split on one for the last few years, they are coming tomorrow to look at the lines, i assume they will put an amp on?

oachalon

join:2002-10-03
Mentor, OH

We have 5 tvs and a cable modem hooked up. We definately had to get an amplifier. Made a huge difference with picture quality. We bought a motorola signal booster and it works great.

marat650

Daly City, CA

1 edit

Damn, this might not work, my box outside that the splitters are in is too small.

And why will i need to put the modem on the 3.5db, isn't 7db makes it faster?

I thought that the AMP's sopouse to boost the HSI speed as well as make the picture look better on TV's?

defiant
MVM
join:2000-09-04
Monroe, MI
kudos:2

said by marat650:

And why will i need to put the modem on the 3.5db, isn't 7db makes it faster?

I thought that the AMP's sopouse to boost the HSI speed as well as make the picture look better on TV's?

The db rating on the splitter is an indication of how much signal loss there will be on that port. The larger the number, the less signal you'll get. The amp will allow you to receive a satisfactory amount of signal to all of your outlets; it won't necessarily make your Internet faster.
--
My local Humane Society is in need of help. Join me in donating whatever you can to help them provide food and shelter for stray animals. Please visit The Humane Society of Monroe County for more info.

imrf
Premium
Utica, MI

said by defiant:
it won't necessarily make your Internet faster.
You can take out the necessarily part. An amp won't make the internet faster at all. An amp isn't like a supercharger for a car.

malvado6
I pee on Bushes.

reply to marat650

No and no.

You really should leave the amp installation up to the tech - if it's even necessary.

malvado6
I pee on Bushes.

reply to marat650

To add to imrf's post concerning amped signals and internet speeds, an amplifier will not improve picture quality either.

an amp will not overcome a bad quality signal due to bad cabling in your house or in the system, it will merely restore to it's original level/quality.

there is absolutely NO way that anyone here can tell you how many splits you could do without an amp. the rules of thumb for one system doesn't work for the next. this will also vary for different parts of the same system.

you may be "fortunate" to have a cable system that blasts enough signal to the side of your house that you could have an 8-way splitter and still have signal to spare on the other end. or you might barely scrape by with putting a 3-way on.

system to system, tap to tap, drop to drop, inside wiring, etc. - there are too many factors to say unequivocally that you need an amp after "x many splits".

oachalon

join:2002-10-03
Mentor, OH

well there is a way that an amp makes ur internet faster. If you are running so many tvs that your cable modem is not getting enough power and it goes on and off you wont be getting all your internet speed so when you get the amp it gives the cable modem enough power and then you get full speed. Thats what could happen but other than that no an amp wont make ur internet faster.

malvado6
I pee on Bushes.

reply to marat650

The rule of thumb is to split the signal before the amp, sending a dedicated leg to the modem with the other leg of the splitter running through the amp to power the video legs.

again, an amp will not help your speed.

marat650

Daly City, CA

ok so the Comcast guys came out and they told me that i do not need the AMP.

BUT, they installed two splitters which i only wanted one, the first splitter is a two way, one goes to my HSI and other one to the 4 way splitter.

SO...what i would like to do is take off the first splitter and install the HSI cable to the main 4 way splitter in the [see below] leg, would that be a good idea?

And someone said in this post that the db rating on the splitter is an indication of how much signal loss there will be on that port. The larger the number, the less signal you'll get.
If someone can confirm this and If this is true then RCN are a bunch of idiots who never got ANY training, they have set up the other way around and maybe that's why i was having signal problems and my HSI was at 1 to 2MB instead of 5MB.
I hope Comcast set up the splitters the right way, i'll check tomorow and will post here.

briankelly9
Premium

why would you take it off the -3.5 leg of the 2 way splitter and put it on a -7 leg of a 4 way if your trying to improve signal strentgh?? it sounds like you are hooked up right .

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 edit
reply to marat650

said by marat650:
SO...what i would like to do is take off the first splitter and install the HSI cable to the main 4 way splitter in the [see below] leg, would that be a good idea?

BAD IDEA. your setup is perfect.

signal levels will not change the speed of your connection... they will just let it connect or not.

defiant
MVM
join:2000-09-04
Monroe, MI
kudos:2
reply to marat650

Click for full size
I know its a bit crude but maybe this diagram will help you visualized what is going on.