Search similar:

uniqs
astirusty
Premium Member
join:2000-12-23
Henderson, NV

astirusty

Premium Member

IE Security Zones - Can you add a new Zone?

Good Evening All:

Is there a way to add a new Internet Security Zone to M$ Internet Explorer?
Basically I would like a "Semi_Trusted" Zone that is for known sites that I trust more than "Internet" Zone but not as much as "Trusted" or "Local"

Thanks,
AstiRusty

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

You bet, but I don't have the thread(s) that covered this. IM R2. He'll tell you how to do it if you can't find anything by doing a search.

wafen
Mr woogie
MVM,
join:2001-02-01
Maplewood MN

wafen to astirusty

MVM,

to astirusty
astirusty,

Try this thread for starters.

»New zone in Internet Properties/Security???

I think it will give you a good starting point.

cjsmith
Premium Member
join:2000-11-03
Villa Rica, GA

cjsmith to astirusty

Premium Member

to astirusty

wafen had sent yout to the exact same link as I was going to, but here is another with a couple of MSKB article links within. Read gwoins post.

»How did you get five? I only have four.

astirusty
Premium Member
Henderson, NV

astirusty

Premium Member

JKK, Wafen, CJsmith:

Thanks for the info and the links!

AstiRusty

R2
R Not
MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

Drop me a line if you have questions. I have done this on several computers now and I have a nice DLL file that holds a bunch of useful icons. It's in one of my previous posts... Found it here.
[text was edited by author 2001-07-09 03:34:50]

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to astirusty

MVM

to astirusty
R2 to the rescue. I knew you were around somewhere!
astirusty
Premium Member
Henderson, NV

astirusty

Premium Member

R2:
Thanks for all the work you did on the "ZONES". And to everybody else who dug into it. I just setup my 5th zone or Semi-Trusted Zone. First one in was DSLReports.
(Not that I don't trust the admins here; I am more worried that some hacker could leave a un-welcome calling card..)
Thanks again R2.
AstiRusty

wafen
Mr woogie
MVM,
join:2001-02-01
Maplewood MN

wafen to astirusty

MVM,

to astirusty

R2=Registry Hacks R Us

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2 to astirusty

MVM

to astirusty
Just as an FYI -- in the end (if there is EVER an end to this!;)) I chose to keep my "Trusted sites" as not the most trusted.;)

I keep that "fairly" Trustworthy, then I created the supreme "Max Trust" zone to be higher than that! There are several reasons for doing this:

1) I (or my wife) can add site quickly the Trusted Zone by using the Web Accessory Power Tweaks. Since my wife can quickly add to this also, I don't want this to be the supreme Trusted zone! It takes more effort to add to my personal "Max Trust" zone.

2) I suspect that if anyone would try to sabotage your computer by using Zones against you, they would figure that Zone 2 would be the most "enabled" zone -- well on my computer, that is not true! Zone 5 is the most enabled. This gives me some minuscule security advantage.

So I keep my Trusted zone moderately enabled, but my Max Trust zone is for the sites I REALLY know I can trust. Then I have a another IE zone -- the Prompt zone -- which is set essentially all at "prompt". I use for site that I am not sure about, or on sites where I want to figure out WHAT they are doing -- for example, that firewallcheck site we discussed recently.
[text was edited by author 2001-07-10 00:27:10]
prelapsarian
join:2001-03-10
Pierrefonds, QC

prelapsarian to astirusty

to astirusty
I'm using IE6 on XP RC1 and it works by adding zones. Except that the one I called "Untrusted" shows up as "Your Computer" despite the registry saying otherwise. I've rebooted too...

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

I have found it is more problem that it is worth to attempt RENUMBERING the zones -- did you try to move the "Your Computer" zone to a different number? (Just a thought...)

The Zone Name is held in a String Value entry entitled "DisplayName" under the appropriate numbered key. For example, for zone #6:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\6]
"DisplayName"="Untrusted"
prelapsarian
Pierrefonds, QC

to astirusty
I didn't move any zones around, just added zone 5. I copied zone 3, modified the name, the number, and the tooltip. Then adjusted the keys. It says DisplayName and the value is Untrusted in the Registry.

In the Status Bar of IE, if I visit one of those sites, it shows the correct icon and the name Untrusted. Just in the Internet Options it doesn't say Untrusted.

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

That is weird. The name is correct in the Status bar, but not on the Options screen.

That MUST be a bug in IE6 or XP1... That does not occur for me on Win98SE and IE5.5.

Just one more bug in an MS program. No shocker, eh?;)
prelapsarian
Pierrefonds, QC

to astirusty
None at all.