GercekSeytan
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Premium Member
join:2001-10-19

1 recommendation

GercekSeytan

Premium Member

Ewido Security Suite Update

The program has been updated. Further info and details here: »[Update] Ewido Security Suite

Spy4
Premium Member
join:2001-09-22
NE

1 recommendation

Spy4

Premium Member

Thanks buddy. I like Ewido.
anthrorules
Premium Member
join:2003-09-14
Rollinsville, CO

1 recommendation

anthrorules to GercekSeytan

Premium Member

to GercekSeytan
Watch out...if you don't want to have another program that does file monitoring and hijack protection, you might want to consider disabling these features in Ewido, unless of course, this is your primary AT program.
dannyboy 950
Premium Member
join:2002-12-30
Port Arthur, TX

dannyboy 950

Premium Member

Thanks I just installed it and noticed the main thing was it gave me a free full function 14 day trial.

I have this thing when trying something like this is I open task manager when running it and watch its resource useage.

i was pleased to note it only increased memory useage by a small percentage and seemed to be playing well with all my other security apps. Its also interesting to watch the various processes memory useage as they respond to the variouse normal changes they monitor while the app is running.
dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950 to GercekSeytan

Premium Member

to GercekSeytan
I just finished a full scan and it did find a spy tracking cookie and handled that ok. What was disturbing about 5 minutes into the scan it gave a pop up that something was trying to shut down the scan and ewido stopped it. But it didnt say what tried to stop the scan nor did it show any reference to that activity in the log.
Log
---------------------------------------------------------
ewido security suite - Scan report
---------------------------------------------------------

+ Created on: 9:15:26 PM, 8/4/2004
+ Report-Checksum: E8FC54A0
+ Date of database: 8/5/2004
+ Version of scan engine: v2.0

+ Duration: 19 min
+ Scanned Files: 109916
+ Speed: 91.73 Files/Second
+ Infected files: 1
+ Removed files: 1
+ Files put in quarantine: 1
+ Files that could not be opened: 0
+ Files that could not be cleaned: 0

+ Binder: Yes
+ Crypter: Yes
+ Archives: Yes

+ Scanned items:
C:\
D:\

+ Scan result:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Cookies\owner@com[2].txt -> Spyware.Tracking-Cookie -> Cleaned with backup

::Report End
I will see how its resident plays with the other resident monitors I have on here. Please note none of the others made a peep about something trying to kill ewido's scanning process.
I use AVG 6 Adaware6 SpybotS&D w/teatimer; SpywareGuard; Spywareblaster; Winpatrol and BHO Demon behind Sygate Pro Firewall Win XP Home SP1 with all updates and IE6

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
Sachakhand

Sparrow

Premium Member

Did you get any pop-ups from TeaTimer during the scan or do you have TeaTimer running "silent?" Is it possible that's what Ewido may have picked up?
dannyboy 950
Premium Member
Port Arthur, TX

1 edit

1 recommendation

dannyboy 950

Premium Member

No crystel none of my other apps made a peep and ewido didnt show anything in its logs either.
I have received 2 more notices since that says the resident is trying to be shut down but no log entry.
Perhaps a false positive or something.
System logs show nothing as well nor spybots log or win patrol's.
Ahh well we will see mebe a bug an mebe not.

I just adjusted tea timer to see if thats whats doing it will let yas know in a few
anthrorules
Premium Member
Rollinsville, CO

anthrorules to dannyboy 950

Premium Member

to dannyboy 950
Just for kicks and giggles, I decided to enable the hijack protection, and it was quicker at the draw than SpywareGuard, which has typically beat other hijack protectors, including SpySweeper. I'll play with it, but I think it'll be like what I did with TeaTimer, which disabled it from starting up and running in the background.

Spy4
Premium Member
NE

Spy4 to GercekSeytan

Premium Member

to GercekSeytan
My scan found a cookie, but all else went well. I have most of what you have except I don't have tea-timer resident.
dannyboy 950
Premium Member
Port Arthur, TX

Premium Member

to GercekSeytan
Well it isnt tea timer, It just happened again and spybot didnt alert.

Now I rechecked ewido and found it had quarentined this
C:\hp\bin\Terminator.exe I am not sure if this is even related.

I will have to save more investigation for later. LOL 4 am comes awfull early.

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium Member
Sachakhand

Sparrow

Premium Member

Save this for later and get some sleep, but are you using Terminator?
»www.clickomania.ch/progs ··· ator.htm
pklapprodt
join:2004-03-12

pklapprodt to GercekSeytan

to GercekSeytan
Looks like something (maybe other guard?) is trying to get KILL-access to the ewidoguard.exe process. Unfortunately some harmless program do that so the best way is to disable all other guards step by step until the popup stops from occuring.
dannyboy 950
Premium Member
Port Arthur, TX

dannyboy 950 to Sparrow

Premium Member

to Sparrow
Crystal

I did not knowingly install the terminater program you referenced. This is the first I ever heard of it. But since this is an HP and its in the hp bin folders I would guess it is part of the default hp installed softwares much like backweb.

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium Member
Sachakhand

Sparrow

Premium Member

You may want to consider contacting HP (check for a toll free number), and asking if terminator.exe is part of the default install or part of Backweb, and if either the .exe or Backweb is needed for your HP installs to run correctly. I was able to remove Backweb from a Logitech install in its entirety, and the only loss was not receiving auto-updates. Logitech walked me through the removal via telephone and e-mail.

Spy4
Premium Member
NE

Spy4 to dannyboy 950

Premium Member

to dannyboy 950
Don't forget to let us know what you found out dannyboy.
anthrorules
Premium Member
Rollinsville, CO

anthrorules to GercekSeytan

Premium Member

to GercekSeytan
With all the registration troubles I've had with the free a2 version, looks like I'll be using Ewido free version as another one of my on-demand trojan scanners. I've completely uninstalled a2 - good riddens...Ewido seems to be working out well.

porkpie
No Pork For 40 Days
join:2001-05-28
Cleveland, OH

porkpie

Terminator.exe is part of the default install, I have a HP Pavilion 523n and some Trojan programs will flag it and some wont.
I just let any program do what it wants to it and havnt seen any bad effects yet.
dannyboy 950
Premium Member
Port Arthur, TX

1 recommendation

Premium Member

to GercekSeytan
Ok nuthing from HP yet but by checking for the file on 2 other hp's it apparently is part of the default install and I am sure I wont miss it anymore than I miss backweb webshots; and wildtangent which I got rid of a long time ago LOL.

I have posted to a thread at wilders which is being monitored by the developer of ewido. My other concern is I keep getting a pop up from ewido that something is trying to shut ewido down. No entry or explanation of what is trying to shut it down in any of my logs. I have determined that its not spybot or spyware guard or win patrol.

It would be nice to know what process is trying to kill this scanner and its resident monitor

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz to GercekSeytan

Premium Member

to GercekSeytan
No conflicts whatsoever; it found 1 tracking cookie!:)
anthrorules
Premium Member
Rollinsville, CO

anthrorules to dannyboy 950

Premium Member

to dannyboy 950
Do you by chance have Process Guard installed and enabled?

If so, what are your program settings for Process Guard?

I've noticed some oddities occuring with Process Guard after I installed the new Ewido.
pklapprodt
join:2004-03-12

pklapprodt

said by anthrorules:

I've noticed some oddities occuring with Process Guard after I installed the new Ewido.

which are?

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium Member
Sachakhand

Sparrow to anthrorules

Premium Member

to anthrorules
said by anthrorules:
Watch out...if you don't want to have another program that does file monitoring and hijack protection, you might want to consider disabling these features in Ewido, unless of course, this is your primary AT program.
Agreed.

Ewido runs as a service and must be configured through Administrative Tools > Services > ewido security suite to Automatic or Manual.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

1 recommendation

chachazz

Premium Member

Thank you Crystal; very important!
Snotty7
join:2003-10-31
The World

1 recommendation

Snotty7 to anthrorules

to anthrorules
said by anthrorules:
With all the registration troubles I've had with the free a2 version, looks like I'll be using Ewido free version as another one of my on-demand trojan scanners. I've completely uninstalled a2 - good riddens...Ewido seems to be working out well.

anthrorules,

I have recently had similar problems with a2. I recently updated ewido, and decided to dump a2, and my system seems so much happier (as well as me)!!!

Snotty.
anthrorules
Premium Member
Rollinsville, CO

1 edit

1 recommendation

anthrorules

Premium Member

Glad to see I'm not the only...I used a2 for on-demand scanning, which I do once a week for checks and balance purposes...now I'll be using Ewido, just for its scanning feature...I already use SpySweeper (2.6 version, not convinced that the 3.0 version has been fixed for good), SpywareBlaster, and SpywareGuard for real-time protection. I also use TrojanRemover and TDS-3 for boot scanning, and specialized file scanning, like when I download software.