spc
Search similar:

uniqs
BigKahuna52
join:2004-10-15
Mattoon, IL

BigKahuna52 to tcp1

to tcp1

Re: [XP Pro] Windows Update v5 hangs at start?

I am having the same issue with Windows Update V5 hanging. Two weeks of work with Microsoft has not helped. Windows Update works on my PC from a privileged domain admin account but not my normal local administrator account or any other normal users accounts. I cannot register WUAPI.DLL or WUPS.DLL from my administrator's account so I'm wondering if this might be a sympthom of the issue that is causing my WU problems? I get error 0x8002801c when I attempt to register WUAPI.DLL and 0x8007005 when I attempt to register WUPS.DLL. WU hangs and then fails with error 0x8DDD0004. I've checked the IE6 configuration and everything else know to mankind and cannot find the root cause of my problems. Registry enteries for these two files have slightly different premissions than all the other WU files. Could this be the cause of my problems? Any advise would be appreciated. THANKS

Sebastin
@dsl.cambrium.nl

Sebastin to tcp1

Anon

to tcp1
GREAT! this did the trick! Thanks a lot!!!
jusgre
join:2002-09-06
York, PA

jusgre to BigKahuna52

to BigKahuna52
Hi, BigKahuna.

I wanted to let you know that I was experiencing the same issue you were experiencing with attempting to register WUAPI.DLL. I was able to resolve this particular issue after spending quite a bit of time on the resolution documented at »www.cryer.co.uk/brian/wi ··· 801c.htm

Unfortunately, though, this resolution has had no effect on my ability to use Windows Update. I have opened up a case with Microsoft and will let you know what I find out.

TheOneAndOnlyRaven
@chcgilgm.dynamic.cov

TheOneAndOnlyRaven to tcp1

Anon

to tcp1
My sad story with a happy ending. Installed SP2 successfully but the max connection fiasco caused many problems. So, uninstalled according to MS instructions. Several issues - of course - ended up completing but SP1 was now part SP1 and SP2. So, tried a repair and most everything worked, after 2 tries, except, couldn't get to the Windows Update w/o hanging. For three days I have searched it out and tried it all. Finally, I had a thought and went to Program Files and renamed the WindowsUpdate folder and the hang immediately went away and I connected, downloaded the correct IE SP1 update and life is so serene now. That is - until Redmond strikes again

mfhau
@suncorpstadium.com.a

mfhau to shizukasa

Anon

to shizukasa
Oh for f*** sake
thanks tcp1 and the rest of you - I absolutely hate and detest wasting my time on Bills boys cock ups

This is about the only place I could find that had something useful!!!

Hey All
@bay.mi.ch

Hey All to tcp1

Anon

to tcp1
This fix worked for be, been fighting this on my home system for months.

Thanks a bunch

tmuka
@hi-techcompanies.com

tmuka to tcp1

Anon

to tcp1
thanks a ton for your solution tcp1! i had tried all the other things above on my own, but this one worked!

REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll
KEYofR
join:2004-08-31
Middlesex, NJ

KEYofR to tcp1

to tcp1
I tried registering the dlls, had to copy some of them from a different xp box, still no joy.

In my cae the page simply looks like it sucessfully loaded and is blank. In the status bar it just says "done"

I think activex or some other part of the scripting mechanism is shot.

If I right-click on the page and try to select properties, it gives a scripting error and all of the fields the error wants to display are empty.

A few services in adminitrative tools are in the sate "Starting" and the properties for those can't be pulled up.
COM+ Event System
Shell Hardware Detection

This is a co-workers machine which is only a few months old and supplied to her by me fully patched up and with mcafee-online antivirus running and no "crap" installed like what usually comes pre-installed on namebrand pc's and with no adware/spyware... It was perfect and the proof is it was exactlty the same way mine is and my machines have never had any virus or spyware problems.

The difference is she has a teenage doughter and I don't.
She let her teenage daughter use it and it was slagged within weeks thanks to music sharing and chat apps.

DON'T LET YOUR KIDS TOUCH YOUR WORK COMPUTERS.

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

auggy

Mod

said by KEYofR:

I think activex or some other part of the scripting mechanism is shot.

If I right-click on the page and try to select properties, it gives a scripting error and all of the fields the error wants to display are empty.

One thing, if you haven't already, besides checking for malware, is refreshing the scripting engine, by downloading and installing the latest version of Windows Script:

»www.microsoft.com/downlo ··· ylang=en

so_happy
@dalect01.va.comcast.

so_happy to tcp1

Anon

to tcp1
WOW I've been looking for this solution forever!!! WITH NO HELP FROM MICROSOFT! This simple solution of registering the dll's worked like a charm! Why isn't this in Microsoft's KB?

Thanks again!

leedle
join:2003-01-12
hawaii@heart

leedle to tcp1

to tcp1
tcp1, you are an angel! I was banging my head for hours today trying to fix a friends computer and get Windows update to stop "hanging".

I tried everything I could think of, and the MS KB was of no help.... Finally I rechecked the Windows update logs, noted the error # and googled away. Your post here at BBR was the first site listed. Your answer to the problem was so simple, that I really doubted it would work-

But sure enough, Windows update has been resurrected! You saved my sanity, and for that I am thankful.

Christonabike
@212.17.x.x

Christonabike

Anon

Further to this conversation - if registering the dlls and setting BITS to manual does not work, download and install the BITS and WinHTTP update from KB842773.

Restart your machine, browse to www.windowsupdate.com again. Select Custom Install. While Windows Update searches for updates to install, manually start the BITS service. (Miraculously) your updates will now be listed. Select or deselect the pertinent ones, allow download and install.

Having done this browse to windowsupdate.com again - you will be prompted to download and install SP2. If you don't want to do this, you have the option to search for other critical updates. Selecting this option allows you to install other critical patches without applying SP2.
Terriff
join:2003-03-09
Calgary, AB

Terriff to tcp1

to tcp1
I always have this problem and the thing that I do that works every time is:

1. Stop "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" and "Automatic Update Service"

2. Delete contents of %Windir%\SoftwareDistribution.

3. Start Services

4. Run Windows Update

Little easier that re-registering dlls, but that still may be the only fix for some. Hope that helps.