spc
Search similar:

uniqs

csayers
@telus.net

csayers

Anon

[Other] Any other Trendnet users here?

I have bought Linksys, Dlink and zyxel VPN routers over the years and just received my trendnet TW100-BRV304 a while ago. I replaced my BEFSX41 which just dropped the VPN too often. Wow, the trendnet made a noticable difference in page load speed and the VPN is much quicker. Nice improvement over the already speedy Linksys.

Any one else know how trendnet can sell their equiptment so cheap? A bonus with this router is the Hardware DMZ which I have connected to my Vonage adapter with a crossover and it is again a huge improvment over the software DMZ on the Linksys.

I am not touting the brand just pleased with my purchase and may start steering friends towards trendnet as Linksys just doesn't quite do the job compared to some alternatives.

So is this typical quality for this brand? Any feedback would be nice as many people ask my advice all the time and I would like to speak confidently in recommending trendnet.
MartyT
join:2004-09-03
Georgetown, SC

MartyT

I've recently used two trendnet TW100-BRV204 routers to experiment with VPN endpoints.

This is the first trendnet router I've used and I was impressed. It worked, unlike some of the stuff from Linksys I've read about here, and it was very reasonably priced. I wound up paying around $55 each at NewEgg, including shipping.

I'm planning on implementing them in a small home office and main office commercial environment for a three partner CPA firm.

The other trendnet product I've used is the TE100-S24WS 24 port smart switch.

It has QOS and VLAN capabilities, once again at a very reasonable price compare to other products out there.

My first impression is that trendnet is a substantial manufacturer that probably OEMs a lot of their equipment, while also selling it under their own name.

So far so good. Also, my only call to support, to inquire into the expected throughput of the VPN tunnel, was a pleasant experience, talking to someone in California that was actually savvy on the product itself. The answer was around 2.5mbits/sec, which was borne out in my tests.

Anyone else?
Keffu
join:2004-09-30
Corona, NY

Keffu

I got exited about that unit, so bought two of them. I tried to make the VPN work, but without any luck. I used an example (2 networks & 2 VPN gateways) configuration from manual and used the same values. Still it doesn't work. What is your units firmware version and how did you configure it? Thanks in advance.
zildan
join:2004-10-01
ro

zildan to csayers

to csayers
I've just bought a VPN router model (TW100-BRV204)

We are in the process of testing a sample before deploying couple of more units to our remote offices.

We have been able to successfully create 3DES ipsec VPNs between 2 trendnet firewalls, also it worked well with sonicwall and freeswan (Linux)

the only problem we are having at this point is that the device hangs in certain situations: for example whenever we are adding a new VPN SA, at the end when we click on "save" the device hangs and it needs to be powecycled.
Deniss4
join:2004-10-07

Deniss4 to Keffu

to Keffu
I have TW100-BRV204 with fw 1.17 (latest) and succeseful start VPN tunnel using Preshared key with openswan. Unfortunately I can not get RSA Signature authorization to get worked. Can anyone help me ?
Deniss4

Deniss4 to zildan

to zildan
Do U achieve creating tunnel using RSA auhorization ?
CHcarsten
join:2004-11-15
Sitzerland

CHcarsten to csayers

to csayers
Hi, I need to make a quick deployment with TW100-BRV204 (dynamic IP) to a Linux 2.4.25 with openswan.

Preferred method is PSK...

Could anyone who succeeded to do so help me or send me the configuration he has been using, especially the openswan side?

So far I have been trying the following:

conn road
left=GW_PUBLIC_IP
leftid=@vpngw.edifice-com.ch
leftsubnet=GW_PUBLIC_SUBNET/MASK
rightnexthop=%defaultroute
right=%any
rightid=@road.some.domain.com
auto=add

and in ipsec.secrets:
: PSK "this is my (changed) shared secret..."

according to syslog, the ipsec_setup is successful....

The logfile of the TW100-BRV204 keeps on printing:

[20:37:11][==== IKE PHASE 1(to GW_PUBLIC_IP>) START (initiator) ====]
[20:37:11]**** SENT OUT FIRST MESSAGE OF MAIN MODE ****
[20:37:11] PAYLOADS: SA,PROP,TRANS
[20:37:11]**** RECEIVED IKE NOTIFY PAYLOAD(NO_PROPOSAL_CHOSEN) ****

Thanks a lot for any help!
Greetings from Switzerland,
carsten
Ohio45431
join:2004-12-09
Dayton, OH

Ohio45431 to csayers

to csayers

Trendnet TEW-228PI Wireless NIC

I have a TEW-228PI wireless PCI NIC. Its a 11Mbs card which is why I got it really cheap. Anyways, I was having all kinds of problems with the connection dropping between my DI-514. Tried all kinds of stuff including upgrading the drivers for the NIC. Still flaky connections. Finally, I disabled using the trendnet software to configure the card. I can't believe I'm saying this, but using Window's (XPsp2) to configure the card has kept my link up!
Curious as to if anyone else had had any luck with this card.

Quattrohead
@attbi.com

Quattrohead

Anon

Trendnet TEW-229UB

Anyone else using this USB dongle type 802.11b device. It works great until it apparently overheats and drops the connection. If I unplug it for a minuite it will work again for a while, but each time this while gets shorter !!!!!
I did check with my Belkin 54g that the network is still available.
I want to use this device as a built in radio on my Compaq Evo 800, I have figured out how to connect it to the multiport and it works great, just this overheating issue left.

Kev.
geo_dog
join:2005-02-09
Herndon, VA

geo_dog

said by Quattrohead:

Anyone else using this USB dongle type 802.11b device. It works great until it apparently overheats and drops the connection.
I have one which my son uses on his machine for long stretches (read 10 hours straight).

I did notice that the dongle gets pretty warm, but (knock on wood) no dropped connections so far.