Premium Member
join:2003-02-02
Little Elm, TX

15 recommendations

ahulett

Premium Member

Where I've been...

To all my friends,

I've started to receive some inquiries about this in my personal email account, and I've seen some questions posted online about where I've been. I'm sure that means there are many others also wondering, so I'm posting here now such that everyone will know. On July 28, I was fired from Lavasoft. Actually, I was originally fired on July 18 by one person, and then that firing was nullified by another person later that day. That first person that fired me on July 18 fired me again on July 28. Now, I'm not sure how it's supposed to work, but I thought I only had one boss. When I file my annual report with the State of Michigan for the corporation I started when I was 12 (back in June 1993), there's only one name that goes in the "President" space. To me, that's why there's only one captain on a ship. Any more than one and you have chaos. Due to this chaos, I don't know why I was fired this time, as no reason was given, but instead of trying to speculate, I'd rather focus on something more important.

Over the past year, millions of people around the world entrusted me with the responsibility of updating and maintaining the quality of Ad-Aware's definitions. It's quite an honor to have that level of trust from everyone. Your belief in me, and your trust in me, means more to me than the title "Chief Research Officer" ever will. For that, I can't thank you enough.

There are some, however, that deserve special thanks. This includes my best friend, Kevin Hickey, for his role in the research department. Without his continual help, and constant eagerness to go above and beyond what he was hired to do so that he could bail me out of a jam, things would never have been anywhere near as successful as they were. It may occur where he'll post here looking for additional information to try and help someone, as I have in the past. I hope that you show him the same level of assistance and support you've shown me. He's more than earned it.

Thanks also goes to Jerry Skinner. With his help in alerting me to posts which needed my attention, I was able to research posts revolving around new or changing threats quickly such that definition changes and updates were created and made available rapidly, as everyone has come to expect, and deserve. And thanks to the LavaXperts, whose voluntary assistance allowed for the same rapid updates by alerting me to important threads not only at the company forums, but at other forums around the Internet as well.

And lastly, thanks goes to everyone at the DSLReports Security Forum, the PC Q&A forums, the Calendar of Updates site, and to the Ad-Aware users that traveled this journey with me at the company forums. After working long hours, in some cases as long as 36 straight, seeing people helping and thanking myself and Kevin concerning our efforts to release updated quality definitions promptly and regularly made those long hours worth it.

I remember something a teacher back in high school asked me one day. He asked me what in this world could stop me from becoming anything I wanted to. At that time, I didn't know the answer. It wasn't until a few years later that I would finally discover what he meant that day. I realized that the only thing that can stop me from becoming anything, from experiencing any and all the joys this world has to offer, is myself.

At this juncture in my life, maybe I've been done a favor by being fired. I've been given the chance to evaluate its direction. Classes for the fall semester begin August 30, and after this semester is completed, I'll be a senior at Oakland University, and over 77% completed with my Computer Engineering program. With currently only about 40 of the 128 required credits to go, it only makes sense that I focus my efforts on earning my Bachelor's Degree. (After all, that's one of the complaints I received, that I didn't have a degree. I guess it's not what you know, it's whether or not you have that piece of paper.)

While one door of opportunity may have been suddenly blocked shut, I'm in a hallway full of doors which lead to anywhere I want to go, and anything I want to become. My degree is the key to these doors, and at the age of 23, I'm not stopping myself again from gaining this valuable asset to my future.

Again, thank you all for everything over the past year. Perhaps in the future, I can have the honor of serving you again, in one way or another. May your voyage through life be a happy and joyous one. And if you see me at Cedar Point near the Magnum XL-200 (my favorite roller coaster), feel free to say "Hi." I'd like that.

Sincerely yours,

Aaron Hulett

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

All the best in, undoubtedly bright, future

Cudni

NICK ADSL UK
MVM
join:2004-02-22
united kingd

NICK ADSL UK to ahulett

MVM

to ahulett
Hi Aaron
I am very sad indeed to hear this news. You are in my eyes one of the very best in the world and we will be all the poorer in this decision that Lavasoft has taken. Whatever road you take in the future you can be assured that it will be successful for you. I wish you all the very best in the future and whatever lies ahead

My warmest regards to you my friend

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

1 edit

Name Game to ahulett

Premium Member

to ahulett
Best to you Aaron thanks for all your work and the wakeup call.

Editorial by Aaron Hulett - Chief Research Officer, Research & Development

»www.lavasoftnews.com/the ··· 4/print/

»www.nlcomputers.com/personal/

John2g
Qui Tacet Consentit
Premium Member
join:2001-08-10
England

John2g to ahulett

Premium Member

to ahulett
Hi Aaron,

You will be greatly missed for the help you have given people via Lavasoft.

I too have been fired for no reason and I know it hurts.

You are still a very young man with a bright future in front of you. Work hard, get your degree and, if there is any justice, the world will be your oyster

My very best wishes in whatever you do.

Martinus
Premium Member
join:2001-08-06
EU

Martinus to ahulett

Premium Member

to ahulett
Best to you, Aaron and thanks for your great work during all these years.

Regards
Martin

Owlbet
Ignite the Ice
Premium Member
join:2002-09-24
Palmer, AK

Owlbet to ahulett

Premium Member

to ahulett
Very old proverb: The best revenge is living well. Onward and upward young man. Many best wishes to you.
MajorAtTi2dE
join:2004-08-12
Baldwinsville, NY

MajorAtTi2dE to ahulett

to ahulett
Aaron,
Sorry to hear about your situation. I have been "let go" from a corporation myself, because they are set in their ways and not willing to listen to ideas. Of course, we took that idea, that they never listened to, after they let us go and made it into a success.

I read this and my only thought was that heres a guy who will come out ok. Your attitude simply rocks.

Best of luck to you!

Tim Tibbetts
»www.majorgeeks.com

Allnew
MVM
join:2003-02-01
Denmark- EU.

Allnew to ahulett

MVM

to ahulett
Sorry to hear that.
Glad you haven't lost your spirit, and all my best wishes too.

CalamityJane
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Eustis, FL

1 recommendation

CalamityJane to ahulett

Premium Member

to ahulett
{{{Hugs}}} Aaron and all the best to you. This news makes me very sad as you have been so helpful and responsive to AAW users and those of us helping folks with spyware/hijack infections. Your frequent updates and immediate response to the new threats and samples we have been submitting has been astounding and so much appreciated!

Your participation in this forum has been wonderful and I hope you will continue to keep in touch.

We wish you all the best the world has to offer and I am sure you will be successful in your quest.

My husband lost his job of 17 years unexpectedly last year so I can sympathize with how you must feel. Being of a strong faith in God, we felt that the loss of employment so sudden with no reason was truly a sign that there was something better in store for us ....and that did come to pass and my husband now has a much better job that he truly enjoys very much. Keep the faith!

I will hope and pray for good things to happen for you as well.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to ahulett

Premium Member

to ahulett
Aaron,

First, thanks for all your quality observations, responses and contributions to us here at BBR and in other well known and respected vunues. Your contributions are always well written, technically and editorially excellent and your professional demeanor even in the face of cranks and flamers is well noted and received by all.

You are right on with your observations. At 23, your life is full of opportunities for happiness and success. I suspect you've achieved a great deal already, and there will be more to come. With the attitude and skills you've displayed here and elsewhere, I believe you're most fortunate.

I sure hope you'll hang around BBR security or other forums and keep us updated on your progress. As many can attest, this community is one of mutual support, so if you have questions or issues this is a good place to post a note. We'll be here.

AND, congratulations on your expanded horizons and pursuit of academic excellence

EG

dp
MVM
join:2000-12-08
Greensburg, PA

dp to ahulett

MVM

to ahulett
All the best Aaron, you just received another thumb from me and hopefully it won't be the last one. Everyone here appreciated all your hard work and we all wish you nothing but the best. I'm about a 5 hour drive from Cedar Point and we are planning to take our grandkids there in the Spring so I'm hoping I get the chance to thank you in person. Best of luck and good luck with your studies.

TechyDad
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
USA

TechyDad to ahulett

Premium Member

to ahulett
Hey Aaron,

Good luck in whatever you do. I've been in a similar situation, so I know what it feels like. I'm sure you'll succeed no matter what you do. Just make sure to keep stopping by here and in PCQandA.

mers2
Premium Member
join:2004-03-20
USA

1 recommendation

mers2 to ahulett

Premium Member

to ahulett
Thanks for all your hard work in the past. Am wishing you much success in the future. Lavasoft lost a good person. Someday they will realise that.

MapleLeaf
Premium Member
join:2001-09-04
Burnaby, BC

MapleLeaf to ahulett

Premium Member

to ahulett
Keep you head up, Aaron! Your future carrier will make that person who fired you look very, very stupid. Thank you for your help here, and please, don't disappear from BBR.

winchester73
join:2003-08-08
Chapel Hill, NC

winchester73 to ahulett

to ahulett
Best of luck to you, my friend ...

Randy Bell
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24
Santa Clara, CA

1 edit

Randy Bell to ahulett

Premium Member

to ahulett
Be encouraged and keep your chin up, Aaron. I first saw your post at PC QandA computer forum and was surprised, but I guess these things happen; and as you suggested, who knows but that this might be a blessing in disguise? Be encouraged, finish that degree, and go on to grab the world by the tail. "Shake the dust off your feet" from any bad experiences, and prepare for a bright future. Warmly, Ran

Acoustimass
Premium Member
join:2002-11-07
Canada

Acoustimass to ahulett

Premium Member

to ahulett
Wishing you success in all your future endeavours, Aaron.

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
Sachakhand

5 recommendations

Sparrow to ahulett

Premium Member

to ahulett
said by ahulett:
To all my friends,

Your belief in me, and your trust in me, means more to me than the title "Chief Research Officer" ever will. For that, I can't thank you enough.
Hello Aaron,

I am very sorry you lost your position with Lavasoft. To me, ahulett See Profile is Lavasoft, and I am as shocked as the rest of us here by this turn of events. I will admit, I didn't realize you are the same age as my son. Your age alone is a primary asset in putting this behind you and looking ahead to your future, which I am sure will move well beyond the shores of Lavasoft.

You understand the "finer points" of life, Aaron, such as being gracious and available to all who call upon you for help. Gracious responsiveness is a gift that not all in this industry have.

When I was originally in college (class of '76), I was a bit idealistic and majored in Theology. I went on to Comparative Religious Studies, and until a major change in 1998, I held several positions in the field. When I left the field I was in, and decided to branch off into the "business" world, I found that my degrees were not worth the paper they were printed on. No businessperson in their right mind wants a theologian working for them considering some "creative" business practices out there. I walked off at least a dozen jobs, and never looked back. I waitressed to pay the rent, because it is an honest living, and enjoyed the work immensely because I was doing what I enjoy doing the most - serving people.

Well, two years ago I realized that I was going nowhere fast, and went back to college at 49. Today, yes - you must have that piece of paper to succeed, and even then it is still difficult. You already know what the key to all those doors in that hallway is, so go for it, and try not to stop until you get it. It's much easier at 23 than at 50 - trust me.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers daily. I want to see Aaron Ahulett's name up in lights in the near future, and with top billing.

The very best of luck to you, and please keep in touch.

Warmest regards,

Leah

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

dadkins to ahulett

MVM

to ahulett
Dude! That blows chunks! I always looked forward to your updates.

Take care, stop by the forums...you know you are always welcome!

Let us know how things are from time to time!

David.

antiserious
The Future ain't what it used to be
Premium Member
join:2001-12-12
Scranton, PA

antiserious to ahulett

Premium Member

to ahulett

... chin up, Aaron ... you seem to be a 'good egg', hope some better news is on the way ...

MattUK
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
UK

MattUK to ahulett

Premium Member

to ahulett
You'll go far my friend, don't ever worry about that

Good luck and keep popping by the forums, always glad of your company
Kiwi88
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Bryant, AR

Kiwi88 to ahulett

Premium Member

to ahulett
Some make it sound like Aaron Died, he will make his mark in the world, so I say -Best of luck, proving your point, as you will! What goes around, comes around & you will succeed! In spite of everything, one dedicated to what they intend in life, always comes out a winner!

A company, does not represent your skill; you are simply a Representative of that company, those views are debatable and insignificant; to the end result of your own growth & worth.

Go for it!

Alwill
Lost time is never found again.
Premium Member
join:2002-09-25
Sydney, OZ

Alwill to ahulett

Premium Member

to ahulett
I should like to add my good wishes for your future Aaron and to thank you for your past participation in the Security Forum. Trust you will not lose touch with us.
MitchShrader
join:2002-06-15
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

MitchShrader to ahulett

to ahulett
I have been involved minimally with LavaSoft for many months, following some differences of opinion as to appropriate management styles. I was at one time a committed volunteer, happy to add my tiny part.

During these past months, I have seen a continuation of the same practices that caused me to withdraw from the efforts many share.

This issue, concerning one of the RARE individuals in the Lavasoft organization (no, I'm not talking about volunteers)
that I hold in highest regard, in fact THE One individual who exemplifies dignity, probity, and openness, saddens me.

While I would not speculate about cause, lacking information, I find this to be consistent with the petty, defensive, suspicious and egocentric behaviour that has soured what could otherwise be an example to emulate.

I stipulate Lavasoft does great good, and provides valuable service. I find equally that certain actions by a very few individuals (at the policy level) detract greatly from that endeavor.

It is distressing that the best and brightest, the most useful and fair, seem to be targeted for expulsion on minimal excuse. If Lavasoft management acquired a bit of self-awareness, it would be greatly to the advantage of all concerned.

Ya done good, dude. And you have been treated badly, and you're not the first one by a long shot.

ZerosRealm
@204.50.x.x

2 recommendations

ZerosRealm to dadkins

Anon

to dadkins
They fired you and shortly after things went to hell.

One of the worst decisions they have made....

Good luck.

CalamityJane
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Eustis, FL

1 edit

2 recommendations

CalamityJane

Premium Member

said by ZerosRealm:
They fired you and shortly after things went to hell.

One of the worst decisions they have made....

Good luck.

I agree and think things went to hell afterwards (I could be wrong as I am not on the inside). I just hate to see a good product we depend on going downhill.

Any product - I've been depending on this one for a long time to help.

Arathaen
Herding Cats
Premium Member
join:2001-08-06
Vancouver, WA

Arathaen

Premium Member

Aaron, with your brains, experience and enthusiasm, I'm sure it won't be long before we see something amazing with your name on it

I wish you the best life has to offer. And please, don't be a stranger here. You're family

keith2468
Premium Member
join:2001-02-03
Winnipeg, MB

keith2468 to ahulett

Premium Member

to ahulett
The working world isn't what it was 25 years ago, as far as integrity, reasonable freedom, openess to new ideas, and mutual loyalty goes. The slide downhill has been depressing to live through.

Hopefully one day things will turn around.

So what will you do now?

Feel like coming to Canada and starting a new company here?

(BTW: You'd need a lawyers opinion, but in many jurisdictions if you are sacked it voids any non-competition agreement you might have signed with an employer.)

Herbalist
@mich.net

Herbalist

Anon

To Aaron

This is the last thing I ever expected to hear, and only adds to my questions regarding what's going on there. I'm sure all will work out for you with the talents and abilities you have. How AAW survives without you remains to be seen. Good luck in whatever you decide. Hopefully, we'll cross paths often.
You take care.
Rick