uniqs
share rss forum feed

JerryC23
Character Counts 40,41,43
Premium,ExMod 1999-03
join:1999-10-08
Humble, TX

LOCATION for ISDN Tweaks (with Thanks)

I know that this web-site is devoted to the various DSL's.
AND I'm assuming
that different DSL's in combination with individual physical locations will have different sets of optimum settings for "tweaks".

Some of us do not have any kind of DSL yet and we feel that this is a second home. (if my wife reads this, she's gonna ask "Where the H*** is your first home, bubba?")

Regardless, IS there a big difference in tweaking for ISDN?

Could we ask for some help or general pointers?
Or links to locations for "tweaks for ISDN" ??

I can move this to the ISDN forum if it gets too much (if any) attention.

Thanks - JAC
--
SPRINT and Mindspring: - DSL in Humble by Christmas? Really?

[text was edited by author 2000-09-26 19:04:25]

DrTCP
Yours truly
Premium,ExMod 1999-04
join:1999-11-09
Round Rock, TX
ISDN is not much different than IDSL. Generally bandwidth is pretty slow so windows default RWIN of 8KB is sufficient (sorry). However, you may try 16KB setting as well. I don't see any benefit over that. Maximize your MTU. That will reduce header overhead losses. I would also turn of window scaling and time stamping as RWIN is small and benefits of these options are visible when you are using RWIN > 32KB.

Even turning off selective ACK may help gain throughput at this bandwidth but you need to experiment with that.

Generally speaking, window scaling, time stamping and selective acks increase the TCP header and reduce effective data payload. In slow networks turning them off may help recover some of the bandwidth.

Tolunay

DrTCP
Yours truly
Premium,ExMod 1999-04
Round Rock, TX
One note: ISDN generally uses PPP and allows compression. So, if PPP compression activated when downloading highly compressible data ISDN throughput may jump to 300-400Kbps. For these cases RWIN = 16KB may yield better results. Also, if your system allows activate VJ header suppresion/compression to save some throughput.

Tolunay

JerryC23
Premium,ExMod 1999-03
Humble, TX

Tweaks Notes - Thanks

- THANKS
This will certainly get me started.

The ISDN LAN modem has various settings for connection properties. I can work that out with EICON DIVA "hotline help" (if you can call e-mail a hot line)

Would the RWIN=16 help keep both channels busy?

(more details in my diary)

DrTCP
Yours truly
Premium,ExMod 1999-04
Round Rock, TX
Yes. I was assuming that you were using multi-link PPP or bonded ISDN. Single channel is slightly better than 56K connection.

Tolunay

wheelert$93
T L C
ExMod 2002
join:2000-06-01
Lynden, ON
reply to JerryC23

Re: LOCATION for ISDN Tweaks (with Thanks)

Verrrrrrrrrry interesting! I've printed this page off and am going to play on the wife's notebook later this week. Did the normal DSL tweaks and it didn't do a thing. I'll play around some more and see if it helps any.
--
"Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings. They did it by killing all those who opposed them."

Stealthy0
I Am El Premo
Premium
join:2000-09-06
Terlingua, TX
reply to JerryC23

Better Forum?

Hey - JerryC23 when are you going to move this to the ISDN Forum?

DrTCP
Yours truly
Premium,ExMod 1999-04
Round Rock, TX
I think it is appropriate here in tweaks forum (that's what it is all about).

Tolunay

JerryC23
Premium,ExMod 1999-03
Humble, TX
I agree - That Stealthy can't mind his own business
--

iwantmore

join:2000-09-24
Junction City, KS

reply to JerryC23

Re: ISDN Tweaks (with Thanks)

* Results
* Your public IP address is 64.39.204.XXX
Hops left before discard (TTL) is 5
TCPopts hex string is 020405b4
Max Segment Size is 1460
* Your MTU is set ok
Ping stability 119 128 100 129 120 115 132 97 123 98
* Quick packet-loss tested ok
DefaultRcvWindow (RWIN) is 65535
Your RWIN limits you @116.1ms to 4515kbps
Your RWIN limits you @200ms to 2621kbps
* Your RWIN is set ok at 65535
Your Path MTU Discovery is ON
Max sized data packet from you 1500
* Conclusion.. HEALTHY SETUP!
* End
I have set all the tweaks just like your site says and still have less than 80% speed. I am running a 128k Diva T/A ISDN modem. Are the tweaks in this site set to work on ISDN also, or is ISDN too slow and needs diffrent settings? Or are the settings correct, but my server is too slow or congested? My max speed so far is only about 70k down and 80k up. I thought the download side was suposed to be faster than the upload side? I can pull normal speeds (10-12) when downloading a game file from my service provider, but that is the only time! Can any one help? (also using multilink ppp)

[text was edited by author 2000-09-30 17:17:31]

JerryC23
Premium,ExMod 1999-03
Humble, TX

WELCOME

I just read your public information (Profile, Diary, etc) and you are to be congratulated on getting started off right. I hope you can hang around and help out.

I, too, and just getting started on ISDN while I'm waiting for DSL in my area, so I cannot speak with much authority about it. Just a few points for your consideration:
- the tweak tools here are designed for DSL and need to be considered in that light.
-packet size is important
-Toulaney (and others) being the expert(s), I'm sure that you will see some valuable comments - so check back often, (be sure to check the "e-mail notification" box when you post a question)

See the second post in this thread for some specifics (you probably did already)

On your Diva Modem setup, does it maintain connection on both channels all the time? And do you have other settings to conserve your rates? My times trials are affected because I need to
A) discuss some problems w/ Mindspring about the local IP connection, etc
B) the modem is set to only use both channels when necessary, but there's a lag time while the second channel comes up (cannot get the "Two-Only connection stable" - My problem, not yours, I know)

I have the DivaLanModem w/ 3 additional ports that I'm not using yet. I assume that Diva T/A ISDN is for one computer. (esp. at $129 - Sprint charged me over $350 for my "LAN" modem and --

OH by the way - If I get DSL in 2-3 months like they promise, wanna buy a barely used DIVA LAN MODEM? - discounted to people on DSLr.

Good luck and keep us posted
--

[text was edited by author 2000-09-30 19:10:25]

JerryC23
Premium,ExMod 1999-03
Humble, TX
reply to iwantmore

Now for Some WAG's*

Try the test again in NON PRIME time - when the internet is not so busy (w/o any changes to settings)
Your pings seem high (but what do I know about Pings - to me that is half a Ping Pong - whatever that is)
The problem is finding a non prime time that the various servers, routers, sites, etc are not going thru maintenance.

Then try the RWIN setting that was suggested above (8 or 16 k)

Let me know about the Diva Modem you are using -
1) What kind of documentation did you get? and
2) Have you tried the EICON hot line?

*WAG - WildAssGuess, as opposed to a SWAG which is ___?

DrTCP
Yours truly
Premium,ExMod 1999-04
Round Rock, TX
reply to iwantmore

Re: ISDN Tweaks (with Thanks)

Since you are able to download from your ISP full speed, it sounds like ISP to Internet gateway is congested.

Tolunay

iwantmore

Junction City, KS
Hey guys, thanks for the welcome and the quick response! Yes, my Diva modem is the cheap one, ($192.00 from Sprint) for a single puter only. No DSL in my area yet. It is set at full 128k dual line connection, has no settings for single line, but will still work with a single connection if the server is too busy to let it connect. The documentation that came with the modem was on a CD, user manual, quick start guide, help manual. I have not tried the EICON hot line, but have been all through their website help and troubleshooting diagnostics pages. The modem passes all the tests and seems to be set up correctly. I fear that the problem is with my ISP. The last time I talked to them, (flinthills.com) they said that they where on a waiting list from Sprint for more modem lines. OK, here are the results from this mornings tweaks!
* Results for Sunday morning, 8:30am, Oct. 1-2000
TTL was set at 16.

Hops left before discard (TTL) is 5
Max Segment Size is 1460
* Your MTU is set ok
Ping stability 120 108 91 99 86 85 94 91 89 89
Your RWIN limits you @95.2ms to 5507kbps
* End
west coast speed test with this set up:
** Speed 59(down)/372(up) kbps **
About modem speed!
Logging result
Finish.
east coast speed test:
** Speed 57(down)/662(up) kbps **
About modem speed!
Logging result
Finish.

Changed TTL to 32, rebooted: 8:45am
* Results
* Your public IP address is 64.39.205.XXX
Hops left before discard (TTL) is 21
Max Segment Size is 1460
* Your MTU is set ok
Ping stability 107 94 106 87 111 96 96 133 106 156
Your RWIN limits you @109.2ms to 4801kbps
* End
West coast speed test:
** Speed 45(down)/373(up) kbps **
About modem speed!
Logging result
Finish.
east coast speed test:
** Speed 77(down)/689(up) kbps **
About modem speed!
Logging result
Finish.

changed TTL to 64 (was the defalt setting when I first hooked up the modem), rebooted : 9:17am
* Results
Hops left before discard (TTL) is 53
Max Segment Size is 1460
* Your MTU is set ok
Ping stability 95 100 110 92 86 104 95 96 93 85
Your RWIN limits you @95.6ms to 5484kbps
* End
west coast speed test:
** Speed 78(down)/373(up) kbps **
About modem speed!
Logging result
Finish.
east coast speed test:
** Speed 57(down)/626(up) kbps **
About modem speed!
Logging result
Finish.

DrTCP
Yours truly
Premium,ExMod 1999-04
Round Rock, TX
And you wasted a lot of time fooling around with TTL (useless).

Tolunay

iwantmore

Junction City, KS
It did seem to run just a bit faster at 64, I think I will leave it there. I talked to my ISP and they said that others in my town are getting between 12 and 18k downloads. I can only get 8-10k, even comming directly from the ISP. The ISP said to call Sprint and have them check the lines. (the old "pass the buck" game) Do you guys have any other ideas?

iwantmore

Junction City, KS

line test

I called Sprint and had them check the lines today. They said that everything looked good and was green acrost the board with no errors. Sprint blamed the ISP. Also did a trace route in DOS (tracert) and had only 4 hops to flinthills.com. Top speed tonight was 50kbps.

[text was edited by author 2000-10-22 11:33:20]

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JerryC23

isdn 64K vs isdn 56K

There is an isdn 56K mode, be sure your modem is not using this mode. If your remote, sometimes its all you can get, but its still MUCH faster than a 56K modem. Even if your dualing be sure your dualing 2 64K channels and not 2 56K channels. Your owners manual should help you with that.

B

iwantmore

Junction City, KS
reply to JerryC23

Re: LOCATION for ISDN Tweaks (with Thanks)

I've had a bit of a break through this morning! If I set my Diva T/A to single line PPP and connect to my ISP then I get download speeds of 60-61kbps every time for the single line. But, when I change it back to Multilink PPP, I'm only getting 40 to 50kbps! I checked out my Dial Up Networking and there is no setting or profile for multilink PPP, only single PPP! There is a tab for multilink in the properties, but when I click on "use other devices" it does nothing, still has a blank box. I have even downloaded and installed Dun 3.1 and Dun 4.0, neither one of them will let me set Multilink PPP in my dial up networking. So, the question is now, How to set the DUN for Multilink PPP??? Can anyone help? I am using win98. Yes, it is set to 64k ISDN per line, 128k dual.

iwantmore

Junction City, KS
Ok everyone, I have the problem narrowed down to this: My multilink tab in my DUN will not recognise any aditional devices. That is where I need to add the second line # to the DUN. Every thing else seems to work great, I can get 64k on the single line but the second line is not going through my DUN, the second line is connecting on the Diva T/A modem, but that is where it stops! I have my ISP and Eicon trying to find an answer for me, (more help from the ISP) Eicon's help line is just an answering machine. (they havent called me back yet) Any ideas out there???
I have uninstalled and reinstalled and changed every setting I can get my hands on but nothing seems to work...
You can also email me at toolman@flinthills.com
Thanks,
Tim

iwantmore

Junction City, KS
Ok guys, I found out that I'm going down the wrong path with the DUN. It does not really matter as long as it connects to the server. (see my other post for an explination.) I have found out from Sprint that my lines are good so the next battle will be with the ISP and the congestion on their end... Keep tweakin!!
Later, Tim
--
80% of 128k is all I ask for!!

System
reply to JerryC23
I have isdn and i am running a netgear-xm128u modem with dual channel modem drivers (128k).
I wanted to give you guys a hint on a modem,, if it uses a serial port connection to your computer and you have it connected to one of your factory serial ports, you will never get over 115k, cause the serial port will only go that fast and no faster than that..
I bought a high speed serial port installed it and now i get 118k,, before i only got around 95k.. i'm still tweakin and trying to find the best combination for speed and stability..
The highspeed serial port did help me, so if ya got an old serial port modem it might help you also.. the serial port board was only around 15 bucks..
Later , Danjal

System
reply to JerryC23
Same here as danjal. I added a byterunner card which took the UART from 16550 to 19500. I went from 82 max up & down to 130 up & down. Better than 50% improvement. The card was only $42.

System
having the same Slow connection problem, I bought a high speed serial card UART16c950 (or something like that), but it didn't make any difference. It also came with zero documentation, so I'm not sure I even have it configured properly.

Hatrick