spc
Search similar:

uniqs

jbond04
@67.41.x.x

jbond04

Anon

How to connect 701 in bridged mode?

Hey everyone, I've been hearing a lot about people hooking up their modems and routers in a "bridged" configuration. Like everyone else, I'm a Qwest DSL user with Qwest.net as my ISP, and I have the ActionTec 701 modem.

Today I figured out that my modem will connect with PPPoE mode. I went into the Actiontec non-Windows setup and changed the connection type from PPPoA to PPPoE, with the same username and password, and it was able to connect perfectly. This was all accomplished with the modem directly connected to my computer. However, I have a router that I normally run all 5 of my computers on, and I would like to share my connection with all 5 computers on the network.

Since my connection appears to work in PPPoE mode with the modem, I should be able to use bridging to connect my modem to my router, correct? My router is a Netgear FVS328, and it has PPPoE support.

Feeling adventurous, I decided to try it out. I set the modem to RFC1483 bridged. Then I went into my router settings, changed the connection type to PPPoE, entered the username and password, and changed the MTU to 1492.

I restarted both devices, but the "internet" light on the Actiontec lit up red instead of green...I had no idea what that meant. So next I left the modem in bridged mode, and connected it directly to my computer, this time trying to use the built in PPPoE connector in Windows. Again, red light.

So my question to you experienced forum members: what am I doing wrong? To try to help you out, I'll give you a quick rundown of what I have, and hopefully someone will be able to give me a checklist of what needs to be done:

-Qwest 1536/896k DSL, Qwest.net ISP
-1 Static IP address (maybe this is what threw a wrench in the works?)
-Actiontec 701 modem
-Netgear FVS328 router (has PPPoE support)
-5 computers on the LAN

If anyone could please help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. I think a topic like this should be included in the Qwest FAQ, as it potentially pertains to a lot of users. Thanks for all the great support!
Hugh Gardon
join:2004-07-16
Steamboat Springs, CO

Hugh Gardon

Did you set up RFC1483 from the "non-Windows" menu or did you go into "advanced setup" and click "transparent bridge mode".

Or did you try both? If not, reset the router and try the transparent bridge mode.

jbond04
@qwest.net

jbond04

Anon

I set the RFC1483 bridged mode in the "non-Windows" menu. I didn't try under the advanced setup. I won't be able to try it out until Sunday night, because I'm not home right now, but I'm still curious if anyone can spell out a set process or checklist of things I need to do.

Thanks for your suggestion, though, Hugh Gardon. I'll try it when I get back.
IceWindius
join:2004-03-11
Montana

1 recommendation

IceWindius

1. Hookup modem directly to ethernet connection
2. Type 192.168.0.1 into internet explorer window address bar
3. Select advanced setup
4. On first screen, click next
5. Next screen will give you option of RF1483 bridge mode, PPPoE or PPPoE. Select RF1483. All other option and menu selections will be disabled after this. Remember, you are making the 701 a "dumb" modem. It will do nothing else but pass packets along.
6. Select save and restart. Wait for it to finish. Modem is now a pure dumb mode.
7. Plug WAN interface of 701 to selected router of choice and set it up for PPPoE authenticaion.

This is all dependent on wether Qwest DSLAMS in your area will allow PPPoE. Some do, most don't. If not, your out luck and gotta stick with PPPoA and set the 701g into DMZ mode and do double NATing.

jbond04
@qwest.net

jbond04

Anon

Well, since PPPoE worked when I tried it with just the modem connected to a computer, it should theoretically work in RFC1483 bridged mode, right? Anyways, I'll make sure to try it out and update you all on Sunday. Thanks for the help, IceWindius and Hugh!

P.S. I'm assuming that if this works for me, most people in Oregon should be able to use bridged mode. (I'm from Corvallis, OR).
jbond04

jbond04

Anon

SUCCESS!

IceWindius, I followed your steps listed above, adding only one more (changing my MTU to 1492 on my router) and it works great! It looks like Qwest.net customers in Corvallis, Oregon should be able to use PPPoE logins for their DSL service. The service seems just as fast as before, both up and down, so I couldn't be more satisfied. Thanks for all your help, guys!

christcorp
Premium Member
join:2001-05-21
Cheyenne, WY

christcorp

Premium Member

Question??? Assuming I can do the same thing, once it is in bridged (Dumb Modem) modem PPPOE, how do you get back into the modem to change it later??? Can you still address it as 192.168.0.1 or do you need to hit the reset button. Just curious in case I decide to try it. Thx.... Mike....

jideha123
@qwest.net

jideha123

Anon

Good point since I have that issue now..
Tried bridge mode, it actually slowed down my speed.. But I cannot get hold of the actiontec setup page.. Kinda screwed right now I guess..

Suffering
Retrovertigo
Premium Member
join:2004-03-06

Suffering

Premium Member

said by jideha123:
Good point since I have that issue now..
Tried bridge mode, it actually slowed down my speed.. But I cannot get hold of the actiontec setup page.. Kinda screwed right now I guess..

you can hold the reset button in on the back of the modem until the power button changes color - it will set everything back to factory defaults.

jideha123
@qwest.net

jideha123

Anon

That did it.. Thanx man.. Tried it earlier guess i didnt push it long enough.. Back to square one again.. Which is better than before..

jbond04
@67.41.x.x

jbond04

Anon

You can also connect the modem *directly* to your computer and type in 192.168.0.1 and access the modem again.

adsldude

join:2000-11-10
Colorado

adsldude to jbond04

to jbond04
OK folks. AthlGrond See Profile submitted the steps listed in the post above from IceWindius See Profile to the Qwest Forum FAQ. You can find the new FAQ entry here: »US West/Qwest DSL »How Do I Connect My 701 In Bridged Mode?

AthlGrond
Premium Member
join:2002-04-25
Aurora, CO

AthlGrond

Premium Member

said by adsldude:
OK folks. AthlGrond See Profile submitted the steps listed in the post above from IceWindius See Profile to the Qwest Forum FAQ. You can find the new FAQ entry here: »US West/Qwest DSL »How Do I Connect My 701 In Bridged Mode?
Thanks adsldude! Seems to come up quite a bit these days and IceWindius' post is a very nice summation of the steps required to get the bridging done.
IceWindius
Montana

IceWindius

bah, I put in PPPoE in twice, replace one with PPPoA, I don't need to be the cause of confusion;)
diefree
join:2004-04-13
Littleton, CO

diefree

Look,

If you put the 701 into RF1483 mode and then you have to set up the router to PPPoE, why can't you set up the router to PPPoA instead? If the RF1483 option just puts the 701 into "dumb" mode, simply passing packets, then on the router, you should be able to choose either PPPoE or PPPoA right?

AthlGrond
Premium Member
join:2002-04-25
Aurora, CO

AthlGrond

Premium Member

said by diefree:
Look,

If you put the 701 into RF1483 mode and then you have to set up the router to PPPoE, why can't you set up the router to PPPoA instead? If the RF1483 option just puts the 701 into "dumb" mode, simply passing packets, then on the router, you should be able to choose either PPPoE or PPPoA right?
I think only the modem can do PPPoA. (I suppose I could go check to see that was the case...)

In any case I have never seen a PPPoA option in a router.

adsldude

join:2000-11-10
Colorado

1 recommendation

adsldude to diefree

to diefree
Conceptually, the ATM layer ends at the WAN port of the modem regardless of whether it is in bridging or routing. PPPoA can only performed on the ATM layer. After the WAN port of the modem it's all Ethernet so you can use PPPoE internally on the modem or on any device on the LAN.

Caveman50
@megapath.net

Caveman50

Anon

I will be recieving qwest DSL with the wireless actiontec G modem/router/gateway.

I will also have a spare netgear wireless router.

Does the information above enable you to bridge the DSL signal *wirelessly*?

As in, Actiontec sending internet signal wirelessly to the netgear router, where it recieves the signal and bridges it to a *WIRED* lan?

What I suspect you people are talking about is simply hooking a wire from the Actiontec to the Netgear, and simply using the netgear for the wireless AND wired routing...

Some clarification please!
IceWindius
Montana

IceWindius

No, it cannot be done wireless. When the 701g is put into bridge mode is it a pure "dumb" modem, it will not do wireless, it will not do NAT, DHCP, firewall, nothing, it simply passes packets along.