drake
Back to back
MVM
join:2002-06-10
Bridgeport, CT

drake

MVM

Images Disabled in IMs?

Just realized today when remote linking a few avatars/images in an IM - It didn't come up; Has this feature been disabled? I'm not sure if this is an Site Bug or not...

nil

join:2000-11-27

nil

Yah, it's been disabled.

drake
Back to back
MVM
join:2002-06-10
Bridgeport, CT

drake

MVM

said by nil:
Yah, it's been disabled.

Thanks.
35375105 (banned)
join:2002-11-20

35375105 (banned)

OT, Enable it!

ergibbs
To Be Free

join:2001-03-07
on the ocean

1 recommendation

ergibbs

That's a completely lame comment. If you have a valid reason for thinking it should be enabled, post it. If not, don't even bother posting.
35375105 (banned)
join:2002-11-20

35375105 (banned)

said by ergibbs:
That's a completely lame comment. If you have a valid reason for thinking it should be enabled, post it. If not, don't even bother posting.

It's not a lame comment, it is my opinion it should be enabled or at least enabled between 2 people that are on each other's buddy list on BBR.

ergibbs
To Be Free

join:2001-03-07
on the ocean

2 recommendations

ergibbs

And that's the start of a much better post than just, "enable it," which comes across as an order that definitely won't get you anywhere here. Enabling it, if possible, between 2 buddies isn't a bad idea. If you had expressed that in your initial response instead of posting something that carried no merit, you would have been much better off.

nil

join:2000-11-27

nil to 35375105

to 35375105
We disabled it for a reason, we might consider enabling it for images on the site.. If you want to start a discussion about it, post in the new feature requests forum.

vkr

join:2001-04-03
Terra

vkr to drake

to drake

Moved from Site bugs.

georgequ
Premium Member
join:2003-05-10
Painesville, OH

georgequ to drake

Premium Member

to drake
I to, discovered it was missing, after sending someone a "blank" IM.:D
It was a nice feature and I sure would like to see it enabled again.
But on the other hand I realize that the powers that be probably had a very good reason to disable it.
Considering all the bandwidth we are receiving here from Justin, one can't really complain about anything now, can we??

MorWired
Premium Member
join:2001-03-03

MorWired

Premium Member

said by georgequ:
I to, discovered it was missing, after sending someone a "blank" IM.:D
It was a nice feature and I sure would like to see it enabled again.
I'm kind of more unhappy with the "blank" IM than that no image is transmitted -- couldn't the broken image icon be used instead, so there'd at least be properties available for IMs in history? It seems really inauthentic to have erased things that were already in history. Any chance of at least a place-holder?

marcelle19
cross
MVM
join:2002-03-02
Hesperia, CA

marcelle19 to drake

MVM

to drake
It is my understanding that there were some members utilizing the feature in an improper manner. Perhaps this feature could be enabled for those who, through a history of being extremely helpful and responsible on the site, have proven they can use such a great feature in a mature manner?

MorWired
Premium Member

MorWired

Premium Member

said by marcelle19:
It is my understanding that there were some members utilizing the feature in an improper manner. Perhaps this feature could be enabled for those who, through a history of being extremely helpful and responsible on the site, have proven they can use such a great feature in a mature manner?
Or, as had been brought up before, it would be nice if it could at least be re-enabled as a "buddy" feature, since there is an implied consent of mutual interest in one another's IMs.

Now that this thread has been moved to this forum, is there any point to making requests here? Should a new thread be started in "New Feature Requests"? Or can this just be moved there?

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

2 edits

1 recommendation

Pacrat to drake

MVM

to drake
In response to MorWired:

Reinstating an old feature is not a Request New Feature. It was deactivated for valid reasons... and I, personally, don't think it ought to be reactivated. If you really need to share images with your buddies... send 'em an e-mail with attachments. If they're really buddies, you'll have their e-mail addresses.:)

MorWired
Premium Member

MorWired

Premium Member

said by Pacrat:
If you really need to share images with your buddies... send 'em an e-mail with attachments. If they're really buddies, you'll have their e-mail addresses.:)

And I do, but there are situations when it's much more immediate and convenient to send an IM, particularly when the image pertains to an ongoing IM conversation. BTW, with that reasoning, why have IMs at all, why not just send email, "if they're really your buddies"?

As for the valid reasons, I have to believe that that wasn't about buddies sending one another inappropriate IMs, and if it somehow was, then you know it's time to trim your buddy list.

state
stress magnet
Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

state to Pacrat

Mod

to Pacrat
said by Pacrat:
send 'em an e-mail with attachments.
Don't forget about »/dev/null

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat

MVM

You're right... I did forget that little work-around!;)

MorWired
Premium Member

MorWired to nil

Premium Member

to nil
said by nil:
We disabled it for a reason, we might consider enabling it for images on the site.. If you want to start a discussion about it, post in the new feature requests forum.

Missed this earlier. Started a thread as suggested. If anyone is interested, please follow the link.

»[request] Restore images to buddy IMs, please.