join:2002-08-19
St. Andrews

Bubba to BlackKyubi

MVM

to BlackKyubi

Re: Black startup process

MSCONFIG Blank Entries
said by Pacman:
If you have a blank entry in MSCONFIG it is likely to be as a result of one of two things:

(1) A program install/uninstall has not completed properly and therefore not updated the registry "Run" keys. Looking at these registry keys may in some cases reveal an entry with a Name but no Data, others may have neither:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

Check these keys and see if there's an entry under Name and it may give a clue. As no program isn't being loaded in the Data column then the registry entry can safely be deleted. It's recommended that you read an article such as the Windows Guide Network one before modifying the registry.

(2) A virus or other maliscious piece of software has compromised the system. Many virusses modify various registry keys, including the "Run" keys.

This suggestion comes directly from an MS tech support person and they recommend you contact MS directly. Before doing so, make sure any virus scanners you have are using up-to-date virus definitions and perform a full system scan of all files.

(Note: HKLM refers to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKCU refers to HKEY_CURRENT_USER)
BlackKyubi
join:2004-08-27
Los Angeles, CA

BlackKyubi

I think it might be ati launch pad that I selected not to load at start up. and one that said default? Im not sure.
CeBear
join:2004-07-12

1 edit

CeBear to Bubba

to Bubba
Bubba & B:

Have followed both your posts for a while and you both know a good deal more than me. Here's what my experience has been using the startup tab in MSconfig:

I used to get one to two blank entries there that were fully shown in the start-up options of the Spybot, HiJackThis and StartUpList programs mentioned.

One always appeared to be MSconfig itself and the other was a second ATI (launchpad) item. Discovered what I think they are by going back to the startup list of Spybot and the others mentioned.

The registry entries you mentioned Bubba were helpful. The items blank in MSconfig startup showed up there as well if active. And with a discription. Think Msconfig was called PCHealth if memory is correct.

When you guys run MSconfig's selective startup option and then restart your machines and go back into MSconfig startup does it show a blank line for one of your entries or is it just not shown?

Here's a screen shot of what mine looks like with apologies to BlackKyubi to intruding upon your thread.

Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
MVM
join:2002-08-19
St. Andrews

Bubba

MVM

said by CeBear:
When you guys run MSconfig's selective startup option and then restart your machines and go back into MSconfig startup does it show a blank line for one of your entries or is it just not shown?
Sorry CeBear See Profile but I've not used msconfig for awhile since I started using 2K....but back in the days of Win9X when malware was spelled male wear....ghost entries would show up from time to time and only by looking at all the run keys was it sometimes apparent what it was.
CeBear

CeBear

B & Bubba:

Thanks again to both of you guys. You've cleaned up two things.

B: You are correct that the non-checked blank startup items don't show up up in the basic startup lists of Spybot, etc. They did show up when checked which helps to back track to see what they are.

Bubba: Your registry directions and idications ok to delete those that are truly blank got rid of the blank ATI launch pad item for me which is the same thing it looks like BK had . See updated MSconfig startup screenshot.

BK: Thanks again for letting me in on your thread. Hope these guys answers work for you as well.

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
Sachakhand

1 edit

1 recommendation

Sparrow

Premium Member

Works for XP Pro - not sure about others...

To get rid of annoying startup programs permanently in msconfig:

Uncheck XXXX.exe in msconfig. Don't reboot yet.

Go to Start > Run > Regedit > Locate: >

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\ >

Right click on the XXXX.exe you want to rid msconfig of in the registry key and delete it.

That's it! You're finished. Close regedit.

Go back into msconfig and confirm it is no longer in msconfig.

You can check in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder

to safely eliminate all those annoying start-up items that just don't seem to want to go away.
Unchecking and removing the items from msconfig in no way reduces the functionality of the program. It just clears your start up list.
CeBear

1 recommendation

CeBear

Re: Black startup process

said by Sparrow:
Right click on the XXXX.exe you want to rid msconfig of in the registry key and delete it.
Unchecking and removing the items from msconfig in no way reduces the functionality of the program.
It just clears your start up list.

Thank you, Crystal Sky. That works well, too. Screen shot of results posted above. I think we are done here.

habya
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
Huntsville, AL

habya to Sparrow

Premium Member

to Sparrow
said by Sparrow:

Go back into msconfig and confirm it is no longer in msconfig.

You can check in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder

to safely eliminate all those annoying start-up items that just don't seem to want to go away.
Unchecking and removing the items from msconfig in no way reduces the functionality of the program. It just clears your start up list.

I was just wondering if those directions were specific to any OS or for all Windows systems. I attempted to locate that in my registry and could not find it, I manually searched and also tried the "find" function, it's a Win98SE machine.

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
Sachakhand

Sparrow

Premium Member

said by habya:
I was just wondering if those directions were specific to any OS or for all Windows systems. I attempted to locate that in my registry and could not find it, I manually searched and also tried the "find" function, it's a Win98SE machine.
...oops will edit my post as well. Thank you for pointing that out.

It works on XP Pro.
BlackKyubi
join:2004-08-27
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

BlackKyubi

Cebear Im glad my post help you out too. So just to clarify, I should deselect the two black spots. then enter my registry. Delete the default key and the launch pad key. It should fix the blank entries correct?
CeBear

1 edit

1 recommendation

CeBear

said by BlackKyubi:
Cebear Im glad my post help you out too. So just to clarify, I should deselect the two blank spots. Then enter my registry. Delete the default key and the launch pad key. It should fix the blank entries correct?

One thing at a time.
1) Leave them checked first and run the startup list in Spybot 1.3 or in HiJackThis 1.98. If you don't have them, do a google search and look for links to them. PCWorld probably has both. TomCoyote has HiJackThis for sure. The startup lists are accessory programs in each, but will display what is set to startup and displayed the blank lines as program names for me. That way you know what you are looking for to delete in the registry (e.g., ATI LaunchPad, etc.)

2) Then follow Crystal Sky's instructions for each program one at a time. Do the ATI LaunchPad one first as that is the one that was on my machine and the one that is illustrated as present and then gone in the attachments posted earlier in this thread.

3) recap:

Open Msconfig, startup, uncheck the one blank ATI item, DON't reboot. Close Msconfig. Open the registry item in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\

Delete the "KEY" (left hand pane side) for the blank item (ATI Launch Pad).

exit the registry. Reopen MSconfig and observe the blank entry is gone.

Repeat the process for the other blank entry (whatever that is on your machine) and delete it too if you want too.

Reboot using the Msconfig "selective startup" option and observe what's left in the startup tab. The blank entries should be gone.

Repeat the process to get rid of any other unwanted startup items (such as Nero and SM that I deleted).

Don't try this if you have any reservations about editing the registry. Probably should do a System Restore point before starting the procedure in case it doesn't work for you.

Wait a bit after this post to see if anyone jumps in with more advice or corrections.

Good luck. Advise if it works for you.

edit: the "one at a time" recommendation is just to keep it simple the first time you do it. They can all be done at once if you are feeling lucky.;)