uniqs
share rss forum feed

aloneworld
'nother day, 'nother goof
Premium
join:2003-05-13
HHV, NY

Selling pictures...

I'd like to sell a few of my pictures (or at least try to sell them). Does anyone know some good places to put them on or to advertise them? I looked at »www.shutterpoint.com and »www.cardsbymel.com and I'm not sure they are good enough, even for $20 a year.
I can also make my own store and in that case I would just need somewhere to advertise it.
--
My photo gallery -- Do you really want 4 more years of that?

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Do you want to sell prints, license your images for publication, or just sell all rights so people can use them as they please?

aloneworld
Premium
HHV, NY

All of the above?
I was thinking something like prints and digital version for personal use.
I would love to license some of them for publication but I'm not very confident about this. As for selling all rights, I'm not sure I should do that.
--

Gemologist
Premium
join:2001-11-15
USA
kudos:3
reply to aloneworld

Be very careful EVER selling unlimited an/or ownership rights to your images.. not a great idea in 95% of all chances to do so. If your images have an "artistic" value Ebay is a good place to ell them.. regular pictures don't seem to sell as well ass "Artsy" ones though. »www.artbyus.com/ is another decent place to sell. Alo try setting up at Art Shows. It is always a good idea to have your own website also.
--
"We are all just Plagiarists of a real Artist, and her name is Mother Nature." My DevaintArts DigiTools

aloneworld
Premium
HHV, NY

said by Gemologist:
Be very careful EVER selling unlimited an/or ownership rights to your images.. not a great idea in 95% of all chances to do so.

That's what I thought too but I thought I was being paranoid.
I have my own website that I can expand easily to sell pictures. In that case I'd like to know where to advertise the store part of it.
--

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to aloneworld

I don't mean to sound harsh but, selling photos is just like any other business. One of the first things you need to consider is who you expect to buy your photos. Once you've made a decision you can begin to esplore the best ways to market your work.

Concertrating on one specific area or range of subject matter will help you get known for that kind of work. There are plenty of agencies that specialize in specific aspects like landscapes, nature, travel or medical photography.

If you're going to work with a third party, research how much the normal commission for these kinds of "sales" or licenses might be, and try to make a rough estinate of your costs.

For the most part, I'd avoid internet website that focuses more on attracting amature photographers than they do marketing to clients.

aloneworld
Premium
HHV, NY

You don't sound harsh at all. =)

noerurz
Don't Mess With The Chads
Premium
join:2004-09-04
USA

1 edit
reply to aloneworld

I see several local photographers selling their work at craft stores and galleries, but they are all film based, printed on high quality photographic paper, not printed with a printer. People are dubious, as am I, of the archival properties of printed images, no matter claims of over 70 years 'when properly stored'.

Anyone want to reassure me?

{edit} Also, who of you out there actually sell photos for an income?

--
It's the thirty third of August and I'm finally touchin' down Eight days from Sunday finds me Saturday bound.....Newbury

Mauricio9
Premium
join:2001-12-04
Vancouver, BC

You can always have your digital images printed on that very same high quality photographic paper. That is not a prerogative of film. I personally would not even think of trying to sell a picture printed by an inkjet (nor put one in my albums).

aloneworld
Premium
HHV, NY

I don't think it costs too much to bring or mail a CD to a lab and get a good printing of it.

noerurz
Premium
USA
reply to Mauricio9

said by Mauricio9:
You can always have your digital images printed on that very same high quality photographic paper. That is not a prerogative of film. I personally would not even think of trying to sell a picture printed by an inkjet (nor put one in my albums).

Not all printed images are done with inkjet, of course. And then maybe my standards aren't as high as yours.:p
--
It's the thirty third of August and I'm finally touchin' down Eight days from Sunday finds me Saturday bound.....Newbury

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
New York, NY
reply to Mauricio9

said by Mauricio9:

Problem is, it's not just the paper. There's also the quality of ink and and process. I have prints done on what was supposedly Epson archival quality paper. The ones stiored in my archival case, enclosed in archival plastic look fine -so far. The ones I leave exposed to normal room light look terrible.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
New York, NY
reply to noerurz

said by noerurz:
Not all printed images are done with inkjet, of course. And then maybe my standards aren't as high as yours.:p

It doesn't really matter what your standards might be.. what matters is your clients' expectations.

I still remember when one particular paper manufacturer got into a major lawsuit when their color print paper didn't live up to consumers' expectations. Some people had this idea that "forever" was more than seven years.

noerurz
Premium
USA

said by Stacy:

It doesn't really matter what your standards might be.. what matters is your clients' expectations.

Well, my PhD is in theoretical organic chemistry, what the hell do I know about inkjet chemistry.
--

MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-17
Allen, TX
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to aloneworld

Depending on where you live, you might need to get a sales tax id.

Mauricio9
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to noerurz

said by noerurz:
Well, my PhD is in theoretical organic chemistry, what the hell do I know about inkjet chemistry.

This discussion is about marketing, not organic chemistry, so my economics Ph.D. is worth as much as your organic chemistry one. Pulling rank is completely inappropriate. If I were trying to sell pictures, I would take more than one leaf from Stacy's book.

noerurz
Premium
USA

1 edit

said by Mauricio9:
said by noerurz:

This discussion is about marketing, not organic chemistry, so my economics Ph.D. is worth as much as your organic chemistry one. Pulling rank is completely inappropriate. If I were trying to sell pictures, I would take more than one leaf from Stacy's book.

Chill out doc, we all here to have a little fun and learn! Eco huh?

Sorry if I offended anyone else. I didn't know havin a PhD was pullin rank. Backs out quietly the second floor window, thinking it a exit.
--

AzzKicker
Premium
join:2001-02-04
Edinburg, TX
reply to aloneworld

Then there is teh issue of release forms etc. You cant just go take pics of people or something and make money off it.

Thats why if I was ever to sell photos it would be Nature photos I take on my RANCH and of ANimals and things on my Ranch That way I dont have to worry about any release forms or that type of permission bull crap
--
Canon EOS 300D
Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX
420ex Flash

MLOK5
My Reality Check Bounced
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-17
Allen, TX
kudos:1

2 recommendations

reply to Mauricio9

said by Mauricio9:
said by noerurz:

Well my MBA *did* teach me those things, so !!!

--
Fritty's the name; natural light is my game.

climbers
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-06

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to aloneworld

I have a degree in mathematics. Sometimes I just sit around for hours on end, unmoving. If you've worked in a sanitarium, you may have seen catatonics...

...all of which has nothing to do with printing photos. I agree with everything everybody said above--even if it's contradictory, but then I'm thinking of running for public office. I hope that doesn't affect your trust.

Chemistry = glorified cooks.
MBA = say, didn't that President from Texas (the fighter pilot) have one of those, too?
Economics Ph.D. = well, have you looked at the economy lately?

I only allow myself one off-topic post per month.

This was it.

Sorry it had to be in your thread.

--
"Come now, Beaker, this won't hurt a bit!"--Bunsen Honeydew, Ph.D.

Mauricio9
Premium
Vancouver, BC

1 recommendation

said by climbers:
Economics Ph.D. = well, have you looked at the economy lately?
Ah, but this is because the economy is too important to be left to economists!

Gemologist
Premium
USA

3 recommendations

reply to noerurz

said by noerurz:
I see several local photographers selling their work at craft stores and galleries, but they are all film based, printed on high quality photographic paper, not printed with a printer. People are dubious, as am I, of the archival properties of printed images, no matter claims of over 70 years 'when properly stored'.

Anyone want to reassure me?

{edit} Also, who of you out there actually sell photos for an income?

Film based or digital based does not matter. My prints made from my digital are on same paper and done almost identically to those from a film based camera. Frankly I would say if you are selling the prints to people then you should stick with a place that "develops" digital images versus "prints" them. My wife sells prints and such and all are done on either Fuji Crystal Archival or Kodak E-Metallic. The Fuji Crystal Archival is one of the best for longevity and also for quality (if used in a good machine with a good operator).. But make sure to stick with well known places also that put out consistent quality prints like Mpix, WHCC, Shutterfly, etc.. Stay away from places like EZPrints (who have been screwing up alot lately) and some will say Wal-mart/Sams Club which are fine for scrap books and such.. but for selling NOWAY! I have tried 3 Wal_Marts now and all are OK.. but nothing in comparison to Mpix, WHCC, and even Shutterfly. Wink is also another decent place to get prints. My wife has ordered around 500 prints from Wink and around 100 or so from Mpix in the last month or so with no problems with any prints except for 1 where the rollers appears to drag on the surface (which was replaced promptly). Make sure to keep your print sizes reasonable to your cameras ability also! You would be surprised what you can sell setting up at local Church Arts & Crafts shows and stuff like that.. cost like $15-$20 a space to setup and you can easily make money if your work is good. My wife sets sup and sells online, auctions, Art Shows, Arts & Crafts Shows (big and small) selling her work and many of mine with her business. But as MLOK5 See Profile said.. legally you should have a Sales Tax License also.

noerurz See Profile, if get your digitals done from places like I mentioned above they are just as good if not better then film prints in most cases. I have had upto 20x30" done frequently from digital and they look just as good as my film ones
--
"We are all just Plagiarists of a real Artist, and her name is Mother Nature." My DevaintArts DigiTools

Gemologist
Premium
USA

4 recommendations

reply to aloneworld

Also.. do not forget to have framed prints, matted prints, plain prints.. People are picky and choosy and many will want matted, matted & framed, framed, plain, etc.. My wife tends to take blank (pre-cut) mats with her so she can mat the customers choice of color for an extra fee. Also make sure to have a variety of sizes from 4x6" to 20x30" even.. Most 4x6" are sold matted to a 5x7" frame size. Doing limited runs can also help.. like say limit a certain picture to 100 8x10" prints and then it is retired (hand signed certificate of authenticity helps also).. but remember to keep track of these as if you sell 101 of them then you can be sued! A nice way to sell the plain prints is in Crystal Clear Bags which can be purchased for very reasonable prices and they protect your pictures from fingerprints, spills, etc.. They work great for Matted images also. It is sometimes nice to have a backing material with you also like Foam board or something even harder as some people will pay extra and like just a matted print to hang which is where the backing material comes in handy (pre- cut of course).
--

noerurz
Premium
USA

1 recommendation

Now that by Golly, DigitalDevo's post, is one worth making a permanent place for. Sticky, FAQ, whatever. It is the benchmark of how a question should be answered.:)

Bless you Swisher!
--

Gemologist
Premium
USA

Thankies

Gemologist
Premium
USA
reply to aloneworld

for those wanting the Crystal Clear Bags.. I just got the URL from my Wife... but you do have to buy in bulk.. I think she said 100 of each size at a time minimum.

»www.clearbags.com/

climbers
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-06

1 edit
reply to aloneworld

Yes, DD, you do sure do know your stuff!

...but you did forget to mention what your degree is in...

--
"Come now, Beaker, this won't hurt a bit!"--Bunsen Honeydew, Ph.D.

Gemologist
Premium
USA

1 recommendation

said by climbers:
...but you did forget to mention what your degree is in...

LOL.. no degree.. Self Taught in most things.. However I did go to College for and studied Marine Biology, Computer Science, Graphics, Web Design, and even attended a Law Enforcement Academy (graduated tops in my class) before I got disabled... but never got to finish anything except for the Academy.. Was in progress of finishing Computer Science before I got permanently disabled.
--

aloneworld
Premium
HHV, NY
reply to aloneworld

So where does your wife sell her pictures?

MoonWolf
Stick To The Road
Premium
join:2002-09-17
England
reply to aloneworld

Look as these two sites, neither is me and both show how to sell:-

look at this guy »www.darrenjew.com/site/index.asp I really love his work.

This guy has the whole range covered »www.tonymayimages.com/ but look at his France pictures, they are good but you can also see that he has a commercial eye.
--
How Lonely Is The Night Without The Howl Of The Wolf