Endorphine
Endorphine
Premium
join:2002-09-30
Silverdale, WA
reply to adamA6

Re: Speakeasy Voice!

said by adamA6:
We're in the final testing stages with LNP, which will be launching before the end of this year. Once testing is completed, we'll open the door for number portability, so you can bring your existing home phone number with you.

I wish you guys were offering this now, as I would sign up for the new service. I want to be able to bring my current number with me.

TheOtherPete

join:2001-06-28
Boyds, MD
said by Endorphine:
I wish you guys were offering this now, as I would sign up for the new service. I want to be able to bring my current number with me.
Ditto, LNP is a deal-breaker for me, without it I have to keep my old POTS line which negates the cost advantage of VOIP for me.

After trying Vonage, Phonom and Lingo I am very excited to see if SE's service lives up to its claim of voice call quality even under heavy downloads (which the others mentioned definitely suffer from). IMHO VOIP is not going to be widely accepted by non-techies until traffic prioritization is implemented (like SE is claiming to have done).

No one wants their phone call to go in the toliet just because someone else in the same household decided to start downloading a file. Downstream traffic can only be managed at the ISP's equipment, there is nothing the end user or the ATA can do to manage the traffic at the CPE end of the DSL link - it has to be done at the other end for it to work effectively.