spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DrifterMaximus

@shawcable.net

Problem With My Port 80, Please Help

Alright, heres my problem, i'm running Apache webserver and all of a sudden one day it stoped responding. i tried reinstalling and all that stuff and a friend told me that the port is probably being used by something else. the day before the server stoped responding, i installed a program called Brewsky8900. THis program trasfers stuff between my comp and phone. i think its using a com port but not really sure. i just scanned my ports and it said that the port 80 is open, that would make sense cuz the apache server is on but its not responding for some odd reason. cold Brewsky8900 be blocking the port to my webserver? if it is how do i clear it up and get the webserver running?

Anon user

@range81-153.btcentra
it could be the problem and if it is - the best solution is to go for a format and clean install =)

Greg_Z
Premium
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL
reply to DrifterMaximus
It could be that the Firewall is stopping it. It sounds more that you are running Linux, not Microsoft OS product.

You may wish to post over in the Unix/Linux forum for more help. Also you may wish to post your Apache Config if requested so that you may be better assisted in your situation.

As for the Format/Reinstall Anon User, you cannot just do something that simple with a Linux box. Linux is easier to repair items then Microsoft OS products.
--
One man's customer loyalty is another man's miguided arrogance.

habya
Premium
join:2003-05-29
Huntsville, AL
reply to Anon user
said by Anon user:
it could be the problem and if it is - the best solution is to go for a format and clean install =)

I doubt formatting the drive would be necessary.
--
HABYA HABYA HABYA TEAR DOWN THE HEM STALKS EAT UP THE OLD MAN AND WOMAN AND CARRY OFF THE LITTLE GIRL MAY YOU DIE ALONE

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House
said by habya:
said by Anon user:

I doubt formatting the drive would be necessary.

I think that was a rather facesious(sp) reply. reformatting is always an extreme solution to a computer problem.
--
babbling

rstrandb
Howl at the moon
Premium
join:2003-04-17
Albany, GA
reply to DrifterMaximus
Um......isn't port 80 the standard internet traffic port? if you can surf it's not being blocked.
--
Deep thanks to the people who defend America from those who would do us harm.

Kiwi
Premium
join:2003-05-26
USA/MidWest
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

2 edits
said by rstrandb:
Um......isn't port 80 the standard internet traffic port? if you can surf it's not being blocked.

Like rstrandb..said. Ok, Bubba get in here!
--
2.66g/533fsb Intel CPU @ 3.28g
512meg Twinmos PC3700~466 DDR @ 2.8v
ATI 9500 Pro @ 9700 Pro@1.6v

AMD ASUS A7N8X-E
2500+@3200 ATI 9500 Pro, Corsair 512LL.

novaflare
The Dragon Was Here
Premium
join:2002-01-24
Barberton, OH
reply to rstrandb
said by rstrandb:

Out goign wont be blocked incoming could very wel be blocked by his isp.
So his isp could block incoming port 80 and it would not effect his web browesing in the least
--
new 3d chat comunity at »planetvirtuel.com my site »spellbound.valshea.com/news.php

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-02-18
Tucson, AZ
reply to DrifterMaximus
Why not try using something other than port 80? Just to rule it out as the problem.

Some ISPs filter port 80 to stop people from running servers.

I'd just bind it to :8080 or something else.
--
Touch a thistle timidly, and it pricks you; grasp it boldly, and its spines crumble. -William S. Halsey

DrifterMaximus

@shawcable.net
aight thanx everyone for all the posts, u've been a lot of help, i reinstalled apache and reconfigured it over again. it works now. also stupid isp (cable) for some unknown reason changed my ip. that also affected it.
btw this problem occured on windows xp. even tho i'm dual booting mandrake linux, the server at mandrake was unaffected. thats a mistery i will never solve. but anyways, thanx again.

Greg_Z
Premium
join:2001-08-08
Springfield, IL
Uh sorry DrifterMaximus, but why is the ISP stupid because they are using Dynamic IP addressing? Sounds like you are partially violating Shaw Cable's TOS in trying to run a server off of their system.

Get some webspace with someone if you are wanting to host webpages, other wise you will not be able to do what you are doing.
--
One man's customer loyalty is another man's miguided arrogance.

novaflare
The Dragon Was Here
Premium
join:2002-01-24
Barberton, OH
reply to DrifterMaximus
some isps have also found a way to block in coming http get requests heh. Meaning they can block servers no matter what port you use.
--
new 3d chat comunity at »planetvirtuel.com my site »spellbound.valshea.com/news.php

Mystiqal

join:2004-09-28

2 edits
reply to DrifterMaximus
If it's dynamic ip why not using dyndns.org or no-ip.org ?
However the name no-ip is a confusion as in principle it's used to just target your domain name to your dynamically changeable ip, so something like leaving a session on ftp and download something using this no-ip service and that hostname (bind to it and using it with ftp client) doesn't resolve dynamic ip problem as the other ftp server side looks sometimes for host ip and not for a hostname (revdns)...

Rergards,
MystiQ

DrifterMaximus

@shawcable.net
Ya but shaw is supposed to have static ips. i guess they somehow found out bout my server or somethin. its all good. i just might even try this no ip stuff.