spc
Search similar:

uniqs
vxbinco
join:2004-09-27
Arvada, CO

vxbinco

[Vonage] Vonage and the Linksys PAP2--good choice for me

I have used vonage for over two weeks with the Linksys PAP2 ATA. The setup was easy and all as worked with good results, as represented by vonage. I called customer service once to check and the phone was answered in about 1 minute. The call quality is excellent and I have used other SIPs before and I am able to compare it favorably. Long distance calls to Canada are exceptionally clear. There has been no echoes or static, dropped connection. All connections have been loud and clear.

I do not notice a perceptible hizz or buzz as others have reported with the PAP2. There seems to be a very little noise when using my cordless and this may be the way it is with a cordless radio connection which was not as clear as a wired phone on POTS..

I have found out that the PAP2 documentation indicates a REN of 3 and initially Linksys also reported this in the online manual for this device but this has since been changed and the REN is reported now by Linksys as 5. The PAP2 documentation is extensive for troubleshooting when you bother to read the manual which is on the CD.

Is this better than the Moto ATA?? The PAP2 is just an ATA while the moto ATA has limited router capabilities with NAT to allow computer use with a phone—but the PAP2 is newer technology.

The PAP2 is less expensive at $60 at Office Depot. It can be had for $10 at Staples with a rebate. That is a bargain. I do not care that it is locked to vonage because technology changes quickly and they can have this device back and I will get newer Technology when the time comes to make a change. Why buy a Sipura 2000 for about $90 dollars to use if vonage when vonage is willing to lend you one for $10.00 (of course they would not allow a Sipura 2000). In a year the Sipura 2000 will be old tech and it will be time to move up to the newer units. It is easier to let vonage handle the configurations and firmware upgrades if I am only using them as my VOIP provider.

vonage is also marketing a locked wired linksys router with ATA ( RT31P2 ). This is a good bargain if you do not have a router and can be had for $40.00 at Staples with rebate or $80 at Office Depot. This router is a full feature router and is certainly better than the moto ATA for $10 more (moto ATA is $30 at Best Buy after rebate). I would think that it would be easier to maintain because the router is one unit with the ATA.

However I wanted to go the cheap way as I already have a wired router (Netgear RP614v2) connected to a RCA Cable Modem DCM245R with Comcast as the provider and 3000/256 broadband speeds. Also, it is a good option to be able to carry the ATA when traveling and I would not want to disconnect my network and carry a router/ATA combination. Now there are cable modems/router/ATA in one box (ZOOM just introduced one)—easier to set up and maintain but certainly you would not travel with it. However, I see a day where these combo boxes with be the norm (unlocked) and you would carry a VOIP WiFi.

I suspect that vonage will start providing the PAP2 for free when ordering online because it is less expensive than the MOTO ATA and the Moto is being discontinued--but you would need a router to use the computer with the phone and that is where they will up sell and make money on the combo units. I bet that the linksys wired router/ATA combination will cost extra and the new wireless router/ATA combination from linksys and netgear will cost even more.

In the future the unlocked ATA units either one unit or combined with router/and modem will be the way which can be used with any provider—but now the easiest way is just pay the $10 and wait until all is settled, if you are using vonage. I know unlocked units are available but not all providers will accept and provision them. I am now happy with vonage but if the conditions change---then I change to another company and I am only out $10.
mchristsen
join:2004-05-10
Los Alamitos, CA

mchristsen

I have the RT31P2 and it is also a good choice. THe call quality is no different that POTS. I call Australia a lot and the calls are clear with no delay, distortion or static (I did have static on a couple of my first calls, but this has gone).

I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 router, but I chose the RT31P2, beacuse of the QoS facility and I wanted a new router (BEFW11S4 was a little quirky).

I am happy with my purchase. I got my router from Staple with the rebate.

Mike.
duk
join:2002-10-10
IL

duk to vxbinco

to vxbinco
I was considering purchasing one of these but wanted to know what the deal was with the disconnect fee. Here is the e-mail response from vonage. If you buy the equipment elsewhere, you will pay the disconnect fee upon termination of service:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Customer Service. In response to your
question,

If you purchase the router to us, vonage, then we will waiver the
$39.99 disconnected fee when you ship the router back to us.

Otherwise if you purchase the router from outside the $39.99
disconnected fee will not be waived because you own the router already.

Thank you considering vonage for your business needs and I hope hope
that I have answered
your questions. Do not hesitate to contact us if you need further
assistance.

We look forward to having you as a valved customer.
Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Customer Service. In response to your
question,

If you purchase the router to us, vonage, then we will waiver the
$39.99 disconnected fee when you ship the router back to us.

Otherwise if you purchase the router from outside the $39.99
disconnected fee will not be waived because you own the router already.

Thank you considering vonage for your business needs and I hope hope
that I have answered
your questions. Do not hesitate to contact us if you need further
assistance.

We look forward to having you as a valved customer.

Sincerely,
Customer Service Representative
vonage digital Voice
1-vonage-HELP (1-866-243-4357) www.vonage.com

wiretrip
join:2002-10-18
Bronx, NY

1 edit

wiretrip to vxbinco

to vxbinco
I too have the PAP2 with vonage and have no issues with it. I was amazed that it worked immediately after registering its MAC address considering that I have it hooked up behind a router/switch. I got it at Staples with a $40.00 mail in rebate. And no activation fee. I don't notice any hissing or buzzing that others have been reporting.

tmccann11
Who, Me?
Premium Member
join:2001-06-10
Parsippany, NJ

tmccann11 to duk

Premium Member

to duk

Re: [Vonage] Vonage and the Linksys PAP2--good cho

said by duk:

I was considering purchasing one of these but wanted to know what the deal was with the disconnect fee. Here is the e-mail response from vonage. If you buy the equipment elsewhere, you will pay the disconnect fee upon termination of service:
This isn't true. I work for vonage, and I can tell you that you can return any box, no matter if it is retail or direct from vonage, and receive the refund of the disconnect fee. We just return them to linksys either way.

Tom
DolanFan
join:2003-12-23

DolanFan

Oh man don't say you work for vonage here unles you want me to unload !! (in a friendly sort of way). Can you tell us the prognosis on getting the firmware updated on the PAP2 aor RT31P2 to tune out the higher than normal background hiss or white noise? It is driving me nuts and many are having the issue. Your 2nd level support told me they are waiting on firmware update from Linksys to fix this. Thank you in advance for any comments you can post.

drol5864
@attbi.com

drol5864 to wiretrip

Anon

to wiretrip

Re: [Vonage] Vonage and the Linksys PAP2--good choice for me

Wiretrip,

I have a PAP2 that I picked up at Circuit City that I can't get to work with vonage even though it has vonage Starter Kit plastered all over it. Please explain "...registering its MAC address..."? Does this mean you had to contact vonage to register the PAP2's MAC address with them?
Thanks.
Hajman
join:2001-12-17
Newtown Square, PA

Hajman

You need to activate your service with vonage (either by calling them or going to www.vonage.com/activate) before the PAP2 will be enabled by vonage.