join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

4 edits

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

[XP Home] Adobe & SP2 Problem FINALLY RESOLVED!

Adobe is still indicating a problem exists between SP2 and some of their programs.. Work arounds involve re-naming files, changing AGP Aperature size (?) and still many people are having problems in other new areas.. Folks I've traded posts with indicate that all is fine when rolled back to SP1.

During the Beta testing period of SP2, Adobe was indicating that we NOT install SP2, with no further comment.

Last month, some from Adobe claimed that Microsoft is working on a fix, but I can't get any further word from them (Adobe) regarding timeframe.... Though there were hints of something Microsoft added in SP1 for Adobe, that now needs to be removed.

Can anyone with Microsoft ties provide an update (or timeframe) on this?

Thanks....
Crypto_Bug
join:2001-05-31
Torrington, CT

Crypto_Bug

Re: [XP Home] Adobe recommends not upgrading to SP2

I use many Adobe products and I have seen no instances after the install of SP2 that would effect my Photoshop, Acrobat, Pagemaker, Indesign, Aftereffects or Premiere.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
Waynesville, NC

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

You must be running Premiere, and not Premiere Pro V1.5..
I hear Photoshop has same problem as Premiere Pro...
I can't document that cause I don't have Photoshop...
oldhand
Premium Member
join:2003-05-16
Saugus, MA

oldhand to Jan Janowski

Premium Member

to Jan Janowski

Re: [XP Home] Adobe recommends not upgrading to SP

I've experienced no problems with SP2 running Acrobat, Photoshop Elements 2, or Photoshop CS.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

Here is the one answer I've been given so far...

(Please note this fixed some of the problems, but not all, acording to the other poster's....)

From an Adobe contact:
"There is one problem with Starsky (PPro 1.5) and SP2. The good news is that it doesn’t affect everyone. The even better news is that for those limited number of people who experience the problem with SP2, we have a solution to the issue. Additionally, Microsoft will soon be releasing a QFE (quick fix engineering) for the problem.

The problem has to do with exporting to MPEG from Premiere Pro. Essentially, the problem results from a code change made by Microsoft on behalf of Adobe for Premiere Pro 1.0 (Columbo). The MS fix is still in place, but is no longer needed for PPro 1.5.

Until the QFE from Microsoft is released, you can resolve the problem (assuming you suffer from it) by simply renaming the executable file Adobe Premiere Pro.exe to something else, such as Premiere Pro.exe. Renaming the file does have the side effect of breaking your shortcuts to launch Premiere, but any shortcuts can be easily fixed."

That was nearly a month ago... Other poster's have indicated that there are other problems that this did not address, but rolling back to SP1 did fix them....

I'm hoping that someone will post an update from the Microsoft side of this... so that I'll have some direction.. Information from the Adobe side, though minimal, seems to be limited to what I posted above...

2kmaro
Think

join:2000-07-11
Oklahoma City, OK

3 recommendations

2kmaro

said by Jan Janowski:
Essentially, the problem results from a code change made by Microsoft on behalf of Adobe for Premiere Pro 1.0 (Columbo). The MS fix is still in place, but is no longer needed for PPro 1.5.
Let me see if I have the timeline on this right:

Adobe writes something that doesn't work, but manages to talk Microsoft into kindly making a change so that the Adobe software works properly.

Microsoft makes significant security changes to create the SP2 update. The old Adobe stuff still works.

Adobe makes an update to their software and fixes their own original problem, so now their new software doesn't work with Microsoft system AGAIN!

And so Adobe once again goes to Microsoft to get them to change their software, yet again, so that Adobe's stuff will work once more.

And who said Microsoft was mean?

Jeremy341
Bye
Premium Member
join:2000-01-06
localhost

Jeremy341

Premium Member

Microsoft really needs to stop doing stuff like this. All of these changes made because some 3rd party screwed up when they made a program do nothing to make Windows better. Adobe should have been the one to fix their screwup, not Microsoft.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
Waynesville, NC

1 edit

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

Bumping up in the hopes of getting an answer from Microsoft insiders!
LOXBOY
join:2004-10-04
New York, NY

LOXBOY to Jan Janowski

to Jan Janowski
Its an urban myth stated by some Arabs, mine works.

2kmaro
Think

join:2000-07-11
Oklahoma City, OK

2kmaro to Jeremy341

to Jeremy341
said by Jeremy341:
Adobe should have been the one to fix their screwup, not Microsoft.

Well, as near as I can figure out, they HAVE fixed their new version. Of course it doesn't work now. But when Microsoft again performs a small miracle for them, then the NEW will work and the OLD (probably) won't.

Now, that looks like the ultimate market ploy to me: Hey, all you 1.0 users, if you want the benefits of Microsoft's SP2 and you want to keep using our product, you HAVE TO UPGRADE to v1.5, because Microsoft broke the older version. Machievellian, to say the least.

Jeremy341
Bye
Premium Member
join:2000-01-06
localhost

Jeremy341

Premium Member

said by 2kmaro:
Well, as near as I can figure out, they HAVE fixed their new version.
I know, but I was talking about the original version. Instead of Microsoft making any changes in the first place, Adobe should have updated their product.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

Bump Again, with the following information...

The adobe Premiere Pro forum is pretty much ticked off about this issue... See:
»www.adobeforums.com/cgi- ··· 5cfce/55

I just got an email from Microsoft, requesting that I Please update to SP2... I replied that Adobe is indicating we wait for a QFE, and asked them when that will occur...
The email address I got from the Microsoft SP2 request is:
communications_wincs_fpp@communications3.msn.com

This isn't a crank post folks... There are serious problems with SP2 and Premiere Pro V1.5 and (I hear) Photoshop CS... (I don't own Photoshop CS yet, can't confirm.)

Hoping someone from Microsoft will reply...
Jan Janowski

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

Text of email to Microsoft:

I’ve been told by Adobe that Upgrading to SP2 will degrade the operation of Adobe Premiere Pro V1.5

In particular, here is what I received from Adobe regarding SP2 and XP Home:

“There is one problem with Starsky (PPro 1.5) and SP2. The good news is that it doesn’t affect everyone. The even better news is that for those limited number of people who experience the problem with SP2, we have a solution to the issue. Additionally, Microsoft will soon be releasing a QFE (quick fix engineering) for the problem.

The problem has to do with exporting to MPEG from Premiere Pro. Essentially, the problem results from a code change made by Microsoft on behalf of Adobe for Premiere Pro 1.0 (Columbo). The MS fix is still in place, but is no longer needed for PPro 1.5.

Until the QFE from Microsoft is released, you can resolve the problem (assuming you suffer from it) by simply renaming the executable file Adobe Premiere Pro.exe to something else, such as Premiere Pro.exe. Renaming the file does have the side effect of breaking your shortcuts to launch Premiere, but any shortcuts can be easily fixed.”

Can you please tell me when the QFE will be arriving, so that I may upgrade to SP2 WITHOUT degrading Adobe Products?

Thanks for your speedy reply!

TAPEUUP
Hell, Do A New Install
join:2003-03-04
Birmingham, AL

TAPEUUP to Jan Janowski

to Jan Janowski
O so we should listen 2 Adobe because they're programs have problems with SP2, I think they're programmers need 2 get on the ball & get 2 programming! Windows was here B4 Adobe!

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

said by TAPEUUP:
O so we should listen 2 Adobe because they're programs have problems with SP2, I think they're programmers need 2 get on the ball & get 2 programming! Windows was here B4 Adobe!

Do you know anything about the QFE from Microsoft regarding this?

TAPEUUP
Hell, Do A New Install
join:2003-03-04
Birmingham, AL

TAPEUUP

said by Jan Janowski:

LOL nope! I know what a QFE is! I don't think microsoft should do anything 2 accommodate any software company!

Hey, as soon as I saw ur post I went straight 2 reply & didn't read any other. If anything, software companies should adjust there software to accommodate the largest OS in the world Period!!!

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

1 edit

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

said by TAPEUUP:
said by Jan Janowski:

LOL nope! I know what a QFE is! I don't think microsoft should do anything 2 accommodate any software company!

Hey, as soon as I saw ur post I went straight 2 reply & didn't read any other. If anything, software companies should adjust there software to accommodate the largest OS in the world Period!!!

If you can't help, it would be best if you stand aside until someone who can --- does....

I agree with you that Adobe should fix itself, but since there seems to be some type of handshake under the table between these two companies, and I have documentation that you don't... Please stand aside until someone who can help, helps...
Expand your moderator at work
Jan Janowski

1 recommendation

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

Update received via email today:

"Jan,
Our QA department is currently testing an alpha version of the QFE. In other words, the QFE is still coming, but nothing is ready yet. The QFE would in fact prevent the problem that you are describing from happening. Until the QFE is available, we have posted a knowledge base document to our web site which provides the 3 most effective workarounds. I’ve included a link to the document for you below.

»www.adobe.com/support/te ··· 380.html

I’ll be sure to let you know when the QFE is ready for primetime."
Jan Janowski

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

There seems to be more Adobe programs encountering SP2 problems......

See this: »www.adobe.com/support/te ··· 621.html
Jan Janowski

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

Bump

DonoftheDead
Old diver
Premium Member
join:2004-07-12
Clinton, WA

DonoftheDead to Jan Janowski

Premium Member

to Jan Janowski
FWIW, I have homeXPsp2 and I have Photoshop7 and used to use Photoshop4. I had no problems with either one. I run them on a ecsL7S7a2Mobo/ati9200se/sblive5.1/Maxtor 80GB hdd/512MBDDR2700. In fact after installing sp2 my box seems to run a bit faster.Anyway it seems to me, not all the Adobe products are having problems. My 2-bits worth.:)

howie1
Premium Member
join:2003-04-08
Antarctica

1 edit

1 recommendation

howie1 to Jan Janowski

Premium Member

to Jan Janowski
Where does Adobe specifically not recommend upgrading to SP2? Does anyone have a link? I have Acrobat 6 and Photoshop 7 and both run fine using SP2. All I can find on this is that the help system on some Adobe products does not work correctly and they offer a work-around. Hardly a reason not to install an important service pack such as SP2.

ironwalker
World Renowned
MVM
join:2001-08-31
Keansburg, NJ

ironwalker to Jan Janowski

MVM

to Jan Janowski
photoshopCS
elements
acrobat reader 6
all work fine here with sp2.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

For those of you looking for links, look into this very thread...

For those of you not running CURRENT VERSIONS of Adobe products, don't worry, yet...

The fix, as it has been told to me (see early in this thread) will involve UN-DOING something that was done in SP1...... Once this is UN-DONE... I'll be fine, and older versions could very well encounter a problem...

Feel Free to search backward in this thread... There are links to my proof....

Furthermore... The work-arounds don't all work! They cause problems if you add plugins to the programs indicated, and cause Random Audio problems... THAT IS WHY the QFE is waited on with such anticipation!!!

Oh yes... BUMP!
Jan Janowski

1 edit

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

I got an interesting update on this...

Not Confirmed yet..

What can anybody tell me about the following Windows Updates? :

KB885884
KB834707
Upgrade for Windows Madia Content
Upgrade for Windows Media Player

Someone with SP2 has contacted me indicating that after installing this, his video and audio problems went away!!!

I'm trying to confirm this elsewhere!!

Can anyone give me in-depth information on these 2 upggrades????

Thanks!!!!

EDIT!!!!

I realized that I didn't include the information I passed on to other fellow.... Here is is in entirety!!!

I have 2 systems : system A with SP1 and system B with Sp2.
Well on system B I have had my choppy audio problem, I mean broken audio and slow audio during avi playback on PPRO, I was able to see a scene and hear to sound with 5-10 secs of delay.
I tried to change AGP aperture from 128 to 16 and the problem was still present but really downgraded ( no benefits from rename technique ).
Because of this I reset AGP aperture to 128 and I did also Windows upgrade for Win/software.
Now I don't know why but system B is working correctly.

I have done just few test but for the moment is all ok ....

I’m not at his site, so I can’t confirm anything, but when I asked him specifics about the patch he just installed, he tells me that the upgrade was done as follows:

It is impossible for me to attach here the image of my patch history, what can i say is :

KB885884
KB834707
Upgrade for Windows Madia Content
Upgrade for Windows Media Player

Anyway, I did, as general rule :

1) Check for MANUAL upgrade (widows update)
2) Install ALL it is possible

Has the QFE been released yet, or is this a fluke, or???

Anything else you can tell me about the patch yet?

(Very Patiently Waiting…..)

MSeng

join:2000-07-13
Ork

MSeng

Re: [XP Home] Adobe recommends not upgrading to SP

The Windows Media "Upgrade" is to Version 10. I presume you also meant Windows Media Connect:

"Windows Media Connect is the easiest way to deliver music, photos, and videos from your Windows XP computer to your stereo and television. Installing Windows Media Connect enables you to deliver music, photos, and videos that reside on your Windows XP PC to devices that support the uPnP protocol. This includes digital audio receivers, connected DVD players, set-top boxes, and more.

I don't know how either would have any bearing on an Adobe product. You can find information here - Windows Media Player FAQ.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

1 recommendation

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

Here's the answer I just received from someone well placed:

Question was: "Is any of the above mentioned Updates the Fix we are waiting for?"

Answer: Nope. The QFE has not been released yet. We’ve finished testing on the QFE and have given Microsoft a thumbs up. Microsoft apparently wants to roll this fix into another Windows update and release it to the public as a whole, rather than simply posting this particular fix to an FTP where Premiere customers can download it as needed. This of course is still undergoing debate and neither course is yet certain. But… at least we are gaining ground. I’ll send you a note as soon as there is definitive information.

As for your friend, I’m surprised he found the AGP aperture setting trick. It’s a good one that seems to be very effective in many cases. Other folks have found that downloading the latest display drivers for their card (typically ATI cards), uninstalling the old driver and installing the new driver also will resolve their problems. I’m not certain what in the Windows updates fixed the problem for him, but my bet would be on the Window Media Content. I’ll look at what’s included in the other updates and see if there are any good clues.

Thanks for the hot tips.
Jan Janowski

2 edits

Jan Janowski to 2kmaro

Premium Member

to 2kmaro
Just to keep everyone up to date on this subject..
I got the following tonight from the fellow who has been keeping me up to date on this....

"Microsoft has completed the QFE but is dragging their feet on releasing it. They want to roll this fix into a much larger service release."

Anybody got a contact at Microsoft who can tell us when this will come out?????
Jan Janowski

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

Another update...... No new news.....

Adobe waiting for Microsoft...

I have NO IDEA what the hold up is....