spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

angryinch

join:2004-04-01

What's the solution?? Is there one???

according to the article "In the end however, the inclusion of business costs in unofficial "fees" is a tactic that works because consumers allow it to work. "

So, what option do we have? I could always cancel my service but then I would have to live without a phone, internet, cell phone, satellite, or cable.

What can we do about it? I could call and complain, but does anyone really think they would take all this crap off my bill??? They add these charges so gradually that sure, we complain about the first one for a while...then we get used to it...as soon as we get used to it, BAM!!! They hit us with another one...before we realize it, we have 3 or 4 of these "fees" tacked on to our bills and by that time we can do absolutely nothing about it.

What's the solution???

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
Reviews:
·iiNet

said by angryinch:

What's the solution???

Write to pro-consumer groups, ombudsmen type authorities, or other regulatory authorities in chage of investigating unfair advertising complaining that fees are creeping in above the (advertised) line cost.
Hotels just got wacked over this, as they charged all kinds of things on top of the room rate.
If there are no rules to cover these tricks, then write to your state rep or senator and complain that there are insufficient regulations covering price advertising for broadband products, or they are not policed properly.

studytime

join:2002-03-16
reply to angryinch

Verizon in Davison, MI. Basic phone plan (just a dial tone)

Phone service: $16.70

Misc. taxes and ripoffs: $16.30

total: $33

Somethings just not right when taxes almost equal the phone bill.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet

its worse if you move. Check this out. In order to get DSL at my new apartment from covad, I need a dialtone, one that I don't want. The current bill for this move shows:

quote:

$18.24 plus $3.04 tax - dial tone
$.21 number portability - taxed at .04
fus $.57 and then a tax on that for .10
FCC line charge $6.38 plus $1.06 tax
Service order change $56.00 (asking for new service!)
Line Charge $50.05
Premise visit Charge $19.00 (for a guy to go "yep" there is a line here)
Installation Charge $18.21 (there was no install)
Modular jack $3.42 (there was no new jack)
rate adjustment .21 and they tax it!!! .11
Ny gross income tax surcharge .02
other charges (unspecified) .13
municipal surcharge - $3.34
NY State/MTA surcharge ...(huh?) $5.65

LOCAL CALLS: $2.37 with tax on that...

$35.00 phone bill turned into $206.18

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium
join:2000-02-24
Not There
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to justin

said by justin:

Hotels just got wacked over this, as they charged all kinds of things on top of the room rate.

Right...I stayed at a hotel in Dallas and was charged like 50 cents per day for long distance and local calls. I asked them about it because I didn't make any calls. I was told they just put that in there just in case and they'll be more than happy to remove it. WHY SHOULD I EVEN HAVE TO ASK?

Back to the topic at hand...I was SOOOOO pissed off when BellSouth started with that "Universal 'It's not a tax' Fund". In fact I threatened to leave and would have if I had an equivalent alternative in broadband. Unfortunately I'm stuck paying the $2.95 fee that's supposed to go towards God only knows what. I asked for an explanation of this fee and was given such a BS answer that I had to shake my head in disgust.
You're right Justin. It is time to take a stand.
--
Star Wars Galaxies -- The best form of birth control on the market.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
reply to justin

Justin, out of curiousity will you dispute this?
--
Final Fantasy

justin
..needs sleep
Australian

dispute this? what, my phone bill? yes we disputed it and they removed the 3 buck charge for the "new" phone jack they did not install. That was it.

ruscorp
I Never Stop Posting For You
Premium
join:2002-08-29
Earth
reply to justin

Yea, I get an "MTA surcharge" as well.

WTF?

15,000 Watts of Bass Power

join:2002-10-16
New Milford, CT
reply to Drex

said by Drex:
Right...I stayed at a hotel in Dallas and was charged like 50 cents per day for long distance and local calls.
Ha! You think that's bad? When I stayed in Washington DC a couple of years ago, I made ONE data call to get my mail with my laptop computer. The connection was slow enough to cause e-mail download to take about 20 minutes. The hotel billed me $78 for that call!
--
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: »www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
www.dv-clips.com
www.mwcomms.com
www.adventuresinanimemusic.com

attsbcisgay

join:2003-03-18
Beverly Hills, CA

said by 91439306:
said by Drex:
Right...I stayed at a hotel in Dallas and was charged like 50 cents per day for long distance and local calls.
Ha! You think that's bad? When I stayed in Washington DC a couple of years ago, I made ONE data call to get my mail with my laptop computer. The connection was slow enough to cause e-mail download to take about 20 minutes. The hotel billed me $78 for that call!

that's what we call profit at the expense of your convenient!

attsbcisgay

join:2003-03-18
Beverly Hills, CA
reply to justin

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ makes them happy, again at the expense of your labors

hedyd4u
Premium
join:2003-12-16
Schenectady, NY
reply to justin

Complain to the Public Service commission they set or allow the rates that you were charged. The rates you are quoting are for a business install not residence. The 18.21 is for a network interface. All business accounts need the tech to go out to ensure dial tone works at the premise as unlike residences there is no left in dial tone. You should only pay for a jack if the tech came inside and did wiring, in which case you would have been charged 13.71 for the wire and 144.00 for the first hour of time.