uniqs
share rss forum feed

jonez
Got Anime?
Premium
join:2004-09-24
Stow, MA

3 edits

A Series of fortunate Events (HSI 4/384 for 42.95)

Hello all my fellow bandwidth addicted friends.

I would like to tell you all about a fortunate series of events that happened to me over the last few weeks!

I was (like many others) sick of slow upload for a high price from comcast (386 kbps for 10$ more) so i tried signing up for verizon DSL 1.5/384 (while still with comcast just incase it didn't work out). multiple people lied to me and said i could get that 1.5/384 package even if i was 304 feet over the distance limit, but it ultimately came down to the fact that i can't. someone from verizon even said that they will tell customers B.S. like that to get more sales, so at that point i decided to stay with comcast instead of paying 29.95 for 768/128.

(Well that was kinda off topic but was nonetheless one of the events that lead to another)...

While i was searching on google to compare my speeds to other ISP's and accidently clicked on earthlink (i say accidently because from previous knowledge, they didn't service my area). And guess what? They are offering earthlink high speed internet THROUGH comcast's service, for a lower price. Now i know some of you probably know this already...but read on!

I thought to myself, I have 2 options: either jump the gun and switch to earthlink and get 3mbps/384 for 45.95/month or use that lump of wrinkles in my noggin and call comcast up and tell them i might switch to this cheaper plan because the only reason I got the 10$ speed upgrade was for upload.

Well they offered me to keep the 4mbps/386 package for the price of 42.95/month (which is the price of 3mbps/256) to keep me as a comcast customer, so now I have 1mbps more and 3$ less than what I would have gotten at earthlink (and i still keep the basic cable service that I use on a TV that's not hooked up to my Directv satellite).

I think everyone should know this and check to see if earthlink is providing service in their comcast areas. (Especially those who have comcast cable TV.) I'm hoping if comcast gets enough of these cases, they will provide their 10$ speed upgrade speeds for basic highspeed internet users for 42.95$/month!

Better speeds to all my fellow comcast users!

Morty7
Premium
join:2004-09-18

1 edit

Most likely not because to the best of my knowledge Comcast also owns Earthlink that's why it's Earthlink by Comcast. Self competition I guess but if it's all going to the same place then who knows.

DanHo
Premium
join:2002-05-20
Seattle, WA

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by Morty7:
Most likely not because to the best of my knowledge Comcast also owns Earthlink that's why it's Earthlink by Comcast. Self competition I get but if it's all going to the same place then who knows.

Earthlink is not owned by Comcast. The arrangement was made when the service was offered by ATTBI. The contract that ATTBI had with Earthlink to sell the service transferred with Comcast's acquisition of ATTBI. Yes, it is Earthlink powered by Comcast. It was Earthlink powered by ATTBI prior. Earthlink does the same with other cable operators as well - Time Warner being one.

Edit: You can see more in the Earthlink Cable forum »Earthlink Cable
--

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

reply to Morty7

Re: A Series of fortunate Events (HSI 4/384 for 42

said by Morty7:
Most likely not because to the best of my knowledge Comcast also owns Earthlink that's why it's Earthlink by Comcast. Self competition I get but if it's all going to the same place then who knows.

You know.. It is just amazing the amount of misinformation some people give out.

briankelly9
Premium
join:2002-09-11

said by ropeguru:
said by Morty7:

You know.. It is just amazing the amount of misinformation some people give out.

and thats a comcast CSR to boot..

Morty7
Premium
join:2004-09-18
reply to jonez

Re: A Series of fortunate Events (HSI 4/384 for 42.95)

I don't deal with earthlink. hence why it says: to the best of my knowledge. And yes I know it's from ATTBI. There's nothing really incorrect with what I said other then Comcast doesn't own Earthlink it just has a large contract to provide internet service too them using Comcast's (formerly attbi) name.

chaud
Serious Business

join:2004-07-09
Anderson, SC
reply to jonez

Re: A Series of fortunate Events (HSI 4/384 for 42

Just talked to Earthlink, they said Comcast has only allowed this in a few cities, and don't plan on anymore soon.

J D McDorce
Premium
join:2001-12-29
Westland, MI

For reference, EarthLink Cable Internet powered by Comcast is only available in specific locations in Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Washington state.

chaud
Serious Business

join:2004-07-09
Anderson, SC

Earthlink said that it was only available in two cities as of now, and that they thought Comcast wouldn’t allow them to use their lines anywhere else anytime soon.

jonez
Got Anime?
Premium
Stow, MA

1 edit

Hello again.

It's not just available in cities, but multiple states, state wide as far as I know. Maine, Massachusetts (Me), New Hampshire and Washington State have the luxury of a little 'competition', for lack of a better word.

However earthlink is saying that it is a limited time offer, so I believe comcast will go back to being the provider in those areas to any NEW cable customers. Basically it looks like a loop hole to get out of comcast's service in those states, but that hole will be closing!

**edit**

so do I choose to stay with comcast and get an extra 1mbps and 3$ less per month or do i sign up with earthlink before they close the deal? I'm sure my bill will be charged that extra 10$ again when this offer expires.

DanHo
Premium
join:2002-05-20
Seattle, WA

It's definately not state wide. First off, has to be in a Comcast service area. 2nd, I know for a fact that here in WA, it is not available to all residents in the comcast service area. It is select cities.
--

oldTDNickell5
Premium
join:2000-12-19
Federal Way, WA

1 edit
reply to jonez

Re: A Series of fortunate Events (HSI 4/384 for 42.95)

These are the cities and states where Earthlink via Comcast is available.
»www.earthlink.net/home/broadband···ability/

jonez
Got Anime?
Premium
Stow, MA
reply to jonez

This deal is just with comcast service, as far as I know, and obviously comcast doesn't service all of every state, so my use of 'state wide' didn't mean the whole state, it meant across the state (in MA atleast) in comcast service areas. Sorry if I confused anyone.

I'm just lucky enough that the contract covered wherever comcast provides service in my state and not just select cities.

Too bad comcast doesn't have more contracts like this, otherwise they'd have to do something with their pricing to keep people in their own service areas to stay with them.

I'm hoping for fiber, which is being placed (they are doing it in MA now ) in a town 20 minutes east of me on a main road that goes straight through my town past my house. They're planning on a town just 15 minutes north east of me as well...or so i've heard.

I'm drivng past today so I'll try to get some pics.