spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

shmore2

@sympatico.ca

low snr

i have a snr of 6 and somtimes 5.5 i know this is really low, is there anything a tech could do to help me out with this? mabey its the wire outside my house?

Leathal
Premium
join:2002-02-09
canada
kudos:2
That means nothing to the rest of us. Please post your full stats.

Leathal

shmore2

@sympatico.ca
Alright here are my line stats, im using a speadstream 5200 that they just sent me i have been using the nortel modem since the service started

--- DSL Status
DSL State - Up

Tx Rx
CRC Errors 2 1898
FEC Errors 0 0
HEC Errors 0 0
NCD Errors 0 0
LCD Errors 0 0
LOS Errors - 0
SEF Errors - 0

--- ATU-R Channel Info
Current Tx Rate - 800000
Previous Tx Rate - 0

--- ATU-C Channel Info
Current Tx Rate - 2112000
Previous Tx Rate - 0

--- ATU-R Physical Layer Info
Current SNR Margin - 5.0
Current Attenuation - 50.5
Current Status:
No defects detected
No loss of framing detected
No loss of signal detected
No loss of power detected
No loss of signal quality detected

--- ATU-R Line Status
Line Coding - DMT
Line Type - Fast
Actual ADSL Mode - G.DMT
Requested ADSL Mode - Multi

cgigate

join:2003-05-12
Fort Worth, TX

2 edits
reply to shmore2
Your stat looks like my line stat!
but my Attenuation is even higher (63.5)

shmore2

@sympatico.ca
cgigate
what profile are you on?

Leathal
Premium
canada
reply to shmore2
You should try connecting your modem to the demarc coming outside your house; where the main line comes into a box, then your house wires run out of into your home. If you don't have a phone jack at your demarc, you will need to disconnect your phone lines from the demarc and connect your modem directly to the main line.

I have seen one case were a friend of mine had a short in his house which caused his DSL performance to be low. Once he ran all new wires to the outside box, and the Bell guy it was good he started to get proper speeds.

Leathal

cybersnow

join:2003-10-10
reply to shmore2
well... the attenuation is "OK" but your SNR is VERY low. Try to check your phone wire that connect to your modem. Connect directly to demarc outside of your house. Also unplug all things on the line (like the alarm system if you have one, all phones, all ExpressVu receivers, etc...)

Also be sure that you don't have electric wires near of your modem or your phone wire.

cgigate

join:2003-05-12
Fort Worth, TX

2 edits
reply to shmore2
said by shmore2:

cgigate
what profile are you on?
My line stat, it looks bad, but it is very stable! I'm on 2.5M profile

--- DSL Status
DSL State - Up

Tx Rx
CRC Errors 0 0
FEC Errors 0 0
HEC Errors 0 0
NCD Errors 0 0
LCD Errors 0 0
LOS Errors - 0
SEF Errors - 0

--- ATU-R Channel Info
Current Tx Rate - 640000
Previous Tx Rate - 0

--- ATU-C Channel Info
Current Tx Rate - 2112000
Previous Tx Rate - 0

--- ATU-R Physical Layer Info
Current SNR Margin - 5.0
Current Attenuation - 63.5
Current Status:
No defects detected
No loss of framing detected
No loss of signal detected
No loss of power detected
No loss of signal quality detected

--- ATU-R Line Status
Line Coding - DMT
Line Type - Interleaved
Actual ADSL Mode - G.DMT
Requested ADSL Mode - Multi

CigaR4
Premium
join:2004-08-24
How do I check my line stats, do I need a modem capable of doing that task?

thanks

Leathal
Premium
canada
reply to cgigate
cgigate,

There is no such thing as a 2.5M profile. There is only 1.5M and 3M, thus you are a 3M profile that will give you the highest possible speed your modem/line can handle. Your line attenuation is so high that its probably why your upstream maxes out at 640k instead of 800k.

shmore2,

Your attenuation is pretty high that's why you are getting 5 SNR, if it were lower, say in the thirties you would be getting around 15 to 20 SNR so don't listen to cybersnow.

Leathal

cybersnow

join:2003-10-10
reply to shmore2
I said that his attenuation is "OK". It means that you can use it without any problems but if you get something highter than that, you will get problems. Attenuation of 50 will not cause an interuption of your sympatico service.

jett

join:2003-06-28
Kitchener, ON
Attainable line rate : 1140 kbit/sec
Attainable Atm rate : 864 kbit/sec
Used line rate : 1112 kbit/sec
Fast used Atm rate : 0 kbit/sec
Interleaved used Atm rate : 864 kbits/sec
Rel. capacity occupation : 98
Noise Margin : 5 dB
Line attenuation : 61 dB
Output Power : 15 dBm

better then me :\ you think someone fooked with my line card ? and if i cancel my dsl and wait a week and then subscribe to sympatico it would improve anything ? (with igs now) my service with sympatico was 100% maxed out 1mbit
igs was 100% 1mbit until about 8 months ago

Kringle
Dr.D
Premium
join:2004-02-27
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:3
said by jett:
if i cancel my dsl and wait a week and then subscribe to sympatico it would improve anything? (with igs now)

Likely no.

Leathal
Premium
canada
reply to jett
said by jett:

Attainable line rate : 1140 kbit/sec
Attainable Atm rate : 864 kbit/sec
Used line rate : 1112 kbit/sec
Fast used Atm rate : 0 kbit/sec
Interleaved used Atm rate : 864 kbits/sec
Rel. capacity occupation : 98
Noise Margin : 5 dB
Line attenuation : 61 dB
Output Power : 15 dBm

better then me :\ you think someone fooked with my line card ? and if i cancel my dsl and wait a week and then subscribe to sympatico it would improve anything ? (with igs now) my service with sympatico was 100% maxed out 1mbit
igs was 100% 1mbit until about 8 months ago
Have you asked Bell how far you are away from your CO? Have you tried to see if they will come and check your line? Have you tried connected your modem to your demarc bypassing your house lines? These steps are important, you don't want a Bell guy coming to your house to say the problem is inside your house.. Any work they do inside which requires them to use a screw driver will cost you $85 per hour, minium 3 hours!

Leathal

jett

join:2003-06-28
Kitchener, ON
guy was here once when this crap started happening.. tested and said it was 5.9km or somthing and left... even tho i swear i saw 4.8 on the device he used... maybe i'll call symaptico and ask them about it.. do they have teir 2 or 3 in sales ? lol

3 yes my modem is conected to the dmark... since i am with igs not sympatico.. its seems bellnexia shoots down my trouble reports from my isp saying my line is to long and i can love it or leave it

RobinK

join:2004-04-16
Canada
reply to Leathal
Hey Leathal, »Canadian Broadband FAQ »What are all the different speed profiles available?

I am also on a 640kbit upload profile.
--
Argue opinions using facts. Not facts using opinions.

Leathal
Premium
canada
reply to shmore2
Forgot that Interleave could also be a factor in the 640k down speeds.

So you guys either have 3Meg Fast path, what the max that your modem is able to get from Bell, or you have Interleave with same..

Leathal

RobinK

join:2004-04-16
Canada
What 640kbit down? I said up.

And I am not on the 3meg profile. I am on 1.7/640 profile listed on the page. And my line is capable of a higher sync, so it is not struggling to sync at 3008/800.
--
Argue opinions using facts. Not facts using opinions.

Shmore2

@69.156.x.x
reply to shmore2
hey guys i fixed the problem, I rewired the phone lines im my house today and hooked each up one at a time to discover that one of the lines dropped the snr from 13 to 5.5. so now im going good at my full 3 meg and a snr of 13

Kringle
Dr.D
Premium
Pierrefonds, QC
Follow the bad line and make sure that it doesn't run parallel to a 120 volt AC line or any fluorescent light fixtures. If it has to cross a 120 volt cable, make sure that the two wires are perpendicular to each other. You might be able to get the bad line back.

Good job of troubleshooting!

Shmore2

@sympatico.ca
reply to shmore2
Correction: It was a bad phone filter after all replaced it and running fine, ahwell the wiring was getting pretty messy so now its nicer

Kringle
Dr.D
Premium
Pierrefonds, QC
Even better!

gaosan

join:2003-04-19
Kanata, ON
reply to cgigate
Click for full size
Here is my line stats. SNr 6.5, atten 63.5.
Can I get better profile? I am on 928k/160k.

Thanks.

my3cents4

join:2004-06-19
Ottawa, ON
reply to Leathal
yes there is a 2.5 profile. actually the sync rate for that profile is 2496 down..... it exists

bylo
Premium
join:2004-05-04
Waterloo, ON
reply to gaosan
said by gaosan:

It's doubtful. Look at the number of errors: ~3 million per hour! It's amazing that you get connected at all.

How often do you lose your connection?

Leathal
Premium
canada
reply to cybersnow
said by cybersnow:

I said that his attenuation is "OK". It means that you can use it without any problems but if you get something higher than that, you will get problems. Attenuation of 50 will not cause an interruption of your sympatico service.
Yes but line attenuation also plays a part in his SNR being too low. So it's not OKAY at all. The higher line attenuation is the lower the SNR will be.

Here's a good table regarding attenuation:

»www.zianet.com/elm-st-station/coax-los.html

Leathal

Leathal
Premium
canada
reply to gaosan
said by gaosan:

Thanks.
Start by connecting your modem to the demarc point. That's were Bell Canada's wire comes to your house and other wires go the rest of your house. Test to see if the speed is better or worse.

Leathal

gaosan

join:2003-04-19
Kanata, ON
reply to bylo

Re: Low speed, any chance to go to 1.5 M

bylo,
I do not understand what "RX FEC" means here. my guess is all dada I received was encoded by FEC, so it is not error indicator but just number of data I received. The only error showed should be in "RX CRC". Is this true? May be I need dig some web pages to find out what it exactly means.

My connection is very stable. I got a router behind the modem. My connection is always connected, never drop.

bylo
Premium
join:2004-05-04
Waterloo, ON

1 edit
said by gaosan:

bylo,
I do not understand what "RX FEC" means here. my guess is all dada I received was encoded by FEC, so it is not error indicator but just number of data I received. The only error showed should be in "RX CRC". Is this true? May be I need dig some web pages to find out what it exactly means.
My understanding is that FEC (Forward Error Correction) is a means of adding redundancy such that transmission errors can be corrected by the recipient without having to get the sender to resend the data.

My SS6300 (which has been up for some 44 days now) shows RX FEC = 0 and RX CRC = 530. I'm on a reduced speed line (1768/640) with SNR = 8 and Atten of 44db. Even with those stats I experience the occasional DSL disconnection, however the SS6300 seems to be able to recover without a reboot.

P.S. If a high RX FEC is normal, i.e. indicates amount of data transferred rather than errors, then why is your TX FEC zero?

[Edit] I echo the suggestion to try connecting your DSL modem directly to the demarc so as to rule out bad house wiring. If possible, disconnect the house wiring from the demarc when you perform this test.

Goden99School

@johnabbott.qc.ca
50 Attenuation, you should have an SNR of around 10ish.

Your SNR is low. It really sounds like you have bad wiring in your house.
With out further tests there is no way to find out.

Best thing to do before calling Bell or your ISP to do test is to go outside. UNPLUG the house and plug your modem in if you have the jack demarc. if you have the two wire demarc get a phone wire you don't need and cut the head of and strip the two wires. unplug the house and get yours and the bell wires to touch.
Have an extension cord ofcourse with modem and if you don't have a laptop get a long ethernet wire and run it to your pc and check results.
If the SNR increases more than 3~5 points and attenutation drops and your sync increases by over 200 then you have a wiring problem. Try splitting the phone wire from there. Have it split there directly. one directly to your modem other to filter then to your house. (making your own Pot Splitter)