Search similar:

uniqs
will2k
join:2004-11-01
Vancouver, BC

1 edit

will2k

BT slowdowns in Greater Vancouver?

Has anyone been experiencing slow BT downloads in the past day or two? For the past day or two, all my BT downloads have been very slow (10kb/s) even though Im connected to 20+ seeds for most of the torrents.

I havn't installed any new software or patches in past few days so I dont think its from my end(hopefully). Was wondering if any of you guys are experiencing something similar?
Im running winxp pro sp2, bittornado, shaw extreme.

thx
eraser_
join:2003-09-03
Canada

eraser_

Re: BT slowdowns?

No problems here. Southern Alberta.
Azureus, non standard ports.

OrionZero
@shawcable.net

OrionZero to will2k

Anon

to will2k
Same here! definitely slow

Richmond, BC here
Chowbacca
join:2003-08-03
Edmonton, AB

1 edit

Chowbacca to will2k

to will2k
No problems here, currently getting about 80-100kB/s. Though I'm in Edmonton, and not in BC where people seem to be having a lot of problems.
st7860
join:2004-05-13
San Francisco, CA

st7860 to eraser_

to eraser_
said by eraser_:

Yes, i noticed the same thing.

However,the usual speed tests show a normal raw download rate (400 to 500KB a second).

But, BT downloads are slower. Does the happy face in your azureus take longer to turn green, and stays yellow a lot?
will2k
Vancouver, BC

will2k

Then its not just me that is experiencing this problem!
I guess its only affecting the people in the greater vancouver area?

What I usually can download in 3 hrs or less ahs taken me 13+ hrs to download.
OrionZero

OrionZero to will2k

to will2k
Exactly the same problem for me
Just did a couple speed tests
Web downloads seems ok

But BT have gone below 10k

btw....Richmond BC i-extreme

Wonder if Shaw's doing some p2p upload throttling...
cableM0nk3y
join:2004-09-29
Calgary, AB

cableM0nk3y

If you think so just change your default ports to something really weird, like 2000 or what ever.
jordanlol

jordanlol to will2k

to will2k
dam same here in central vancouver but my friends adsl line is working normal , my bt i can barely get 20 kbs, wtf is wrong so i think shaw is limiting our lines ,dam too much limits this , limits that , hope a new internet provider will show up and give us some options to choose from telus-good , but slow, shaw , fast but shitty services and always problems.

nfx
The Wire
Premium Member
join:2001-05-21
Vancouver, BC

nfx to will2k

Premium Member

to will2k
»XP SP2 may have a negative effect on P2P
eraser_
join:2003-09-03
Canada

eraser_ to st7860

to st7860
said by st7860:

said by eraser_:

Yes, i noticed the same thing.

However,the usual speed tests show a normal raw download rate (400 to 500KB a second).

But, BT downloads are slower. Does the happy face in your azureus take longer to turn green, and stays yellow a lot?
Nope, all my torrents have been working perfectly.
will2k
Vancouver, BC

will2k to nfx

to nfx
Ive heard about it, but the question is, why is it happening now? Just this weekend its started to happen, Ive installed SP2 since it came out and it was perfectly fine with BT downloads.
hesty
join:2001-09-16
Vancouver, BC

hesty to will2k

to will2k
Same here in East Van. BT has been really slow, I can usually reach 350 kBps, and now stuck with 30 kBps at best. Those are torrents with hundreds of peers and dozens of seeds.

And no, it's not SP2 because I'm running linux.

KitsAffected
@shawcable.net

KitsAffected

Anon

I've been experiencing slow BT speeds for the past 2 days or so. I have no clue as to why this is happening. I have tried changing to different ports but I still can't seem to get faster speeds. My upload speed for BT won't go up very high either, always a lot less than the cap I put on it. If I put the upload cap at 70kb/s, it probably won't even pass 20kb/s.
cableM0nk3y
join:2004-09-29
Calgary, AB

cableM0nk3y to will2k

to will2k
Bah, I just move mine to common port that everyone uses and I have no issues at all.

ergggggg
@shawcable.net

ergggggg to will2k

Anon

to will2k
Agree.

BT is slow in East Van --- about 2 days
Shaw is slow in East Van --- about 4 months

When will something be done. Other threads in this forum made me dream they were fixing hardware in october, but now I think maybe their solution to the congestion is to somehow block BT. I fear.
jordanlol

jordanlol to will2k

to will2k
if bt is blocked i think telus will have alot of new coustomers .i.m.o. at least they are still not slowing down. guys please post when you guys have your normal speed back. good day .

Ixsys
@shawcable.net

Ixsys to will2k

Anon

to will2k
I've experienced the exact same thing. (I'm in North Vanc on E22nd) Ever since the "slow down" downloads have been going quite a bit slower. But over the weekend they hit rock bottom for me. 20Kbps Max Download on BT, and around 90-100 from the web.

Today I Tested my connection on sea.speakeasy.net - & get a "normal" test result of 4600+ which is in the neighbourhood of 500Kbps+. Now just as I'm writing this I get this result: »/speed ··· 99377826

I don't know what the flying fcuk is going on at Shaw but they better get their act together very very fast.

If anyone can shed some light on this, please - do so!

Thanks!

SyS
OrionZero

OrionZero to will2k

to will2k
I've read from the Congeco forums that the exact same thing is happening to users in Hamilton. Hope a solution comes up soon...:(
will2k
Vancouver, BC

will2k

If they dont fix this soon, ill have to turn to ADSL.
Bandito
join:2003-01-23

Bandito to will2k

to will2k
I dont think Shaw has anything to do with this one. At my girlfriend's place she's got Shaw and at my place DSL. Both very slow, but Shaw is a bit slower overall.

Ixsys
@24.86.x.x

Ixsys to will2k

Anon

to will2k
Update - 4:20AM PST

Speed Test Results: »/speed ··· 99397916

BT Status:
10Kb Down
7Kb Up

This is unacceptable, especially since I paid my bill not more than 3 days ago.

SyS
olivecougar
join:2004-07-16

olivecougar to will2k

to will2k
Same problem here in Toronto... with Rogers Extreme.

The funny think is the download doesn't really seem to be affected however, my upload has gone down the crapper. On torrents where i could easily up at 75KB/s... i can barely do 15 now.

I have no clue as to whats going on... but it's definitely a BT isolated issue... All speed tests i've conducted don't report anything other than the usual 4700+ down and 790+ up.

Any ideas?

-=OC=-
pixeyness
join:2003-09-06
Richmond, BC

pixeyness to will2k

to will2k
i am in marpole, in vancouver just got a router for hardware firewall and thought that was the problem. I'm on extreme internet and bt d/l are taking literally days. And they stay yellow faces. wtf?
will2k
Vancouver, BC

will2k

having a router should have no problem downloading if you opened up the right ports.

So has anyone tried calling shaw and seeing whatsup?
If they are starting to block BT, i rather just cancel and switch to telus. Dont want to pay 45 bucks a month when I cant get the stuff I want.
hesty
join:2001-09-16
Vancouver, BC

hesty to will2k

to will2k
Has anyone talked to Shaw's Tech support and get the official party line on the issue? I can't because I'm using 3web. If it is indeed intentional choke on BT, I'm gonna bolt to Telus in no time.
WRX888
join:2004-11-02
Vancouver, BC

WRX888 to will2k

to will2k
Ditto on the BT slowdowns. This all started since their upgrade/maintenance on Oct.28.
quote:
"As part of Shaws ongoing commitment to provide our customers with the best possible service, we will be performing maintenance and/or network upgrades in your area on October 28th, 2004 between 2:00AM and 6:00AM local time."
I'm on the regular highspeed using a Motorola SB5100 DOCSIS modem and I'm just a bit west of Champlain Mall area. And it only affects BT, I just hit windowsupdate and grabbed like 7 updates (about 20Megs) at 370kBytes/s steady speed. My BT u/ls never exceed 10kB/s now, so my BT d/ls also suck. I think a call to their support line is in order. Gotta dig out my wired phone now cause last time I had to call tech support, the battery in my cordless phone died just as someone finally picked up.
ogami
join:2004-01-25
Vancouver, BC

ogami to will2k

to will2k
Change the ports does help the download (back to green faces) but the upload is very bad... the speed is no more than 5kB/s

Some-1
@telus.net

Some-1 to will2k

Anon

to will2k
so which ports are we supposed to open now in order to increase the speed??
silverpig1
join:2002-01-17

silverpig1

I've noticed the same thing. Kerrisdale with xtreme here.

My speeds on tests are usually decent (2.5 Mbps down, 950 kbps up during the day... 4.7 down 950 up in the evening), but my BT speeds are horrible. I used to be able to get my full 625 kB/s down and 125 kB/s up if I found torrents capable of that. Now I'm lucky to get 60 down and 10 up.

I've tried:
using linux instead of windows
switching ports
bypassing the router and hooking the net straight up to my comp... again varying ports
switching bt clients
using a variety of different trackers

Nothing changes.