how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kev322

@208.181.x.x
reply to will2k

Re: BT slowdowns?

Guys you know what to do next if this continues.

That's right! A massive amounts of complaints to CRTC
»www.crtc.gc.ca/RapidsCCM/Register.asp?lang=E

st7860

join:2004-05-13
San Francisco, CA
for the first time in over a week, my extreme-i service can upload at 120kilobytes per second. however, it usually doesnt last that long.

shawsux2

join:2004-11-10
Surrey, BC
reply to will2k
obviously shaw either made a screw up on oct.30 or they did on purpose on that day to throttle everyone in the greater vancouver area....and if they did make a screw up they could at least inform their customers why they are getting slow speeds and could fix it asap but no....they keep us in the dark and play dumb. Only way i see that shaw is going to fix this is if a lot of customers stop leaving and going over to TELUS to apply and im about to do so if this doesnt stop in a month.

Kev322

@208.181.x.x
reply to will2k
That's right SHAW! I have about 16 modems to be deactivated , all from family and friends. It's your move or our move now.

Tranqui1ity

@shawcable.net
reply to will2k

Everyone call Shaw please!

Haha I just called in Shaw to ask what the hell is going on and the guy just claims that "Shaw does not monitor any type of traffic, so the problem should be on your [my] side." I then went on to ask what the hell he means it's on my side and he told me it was my "network settings or application." I got the same bullshit about "let's do some speed tests" and I said "NO that's not the problem I just TOLD you." Lol. Either he's an idiot or they've all been told to deny everything. It's not even ABOUT the cap anymore. Why the hell would you deny it? I'm transfered to the the "advanced tech support" and they will call me back in 24-48 hours. I think the best thing we can do is just make sure EVERYONE here calls them and asks them what they are doing. Sooner or later they will either get rid of the cap/filter or at least admit they are screwing us. Comon guys everyone call.

Shaze0

join:2004-11-08
Burnaby, BC
reply to Kev322

Re: BT slowdowns?

Nice Kev, and thanks for all the support guys, it may seem like ripples right now but we're gonna make waves soon enough. Keep it up, I've registered my complaints with the CRTC, I advise everyone who's pissed to do the same. If I didn't make the investment in the modem I would be looong gone by now.

3Web is reselling Shaw, they will be held just as liable in the end and I imagine will seek the same action we do.

vedda520

join:2004-09-23
reply to Kev322
Everyone please also do as Kev332 recomends as I have done already. Something similar to what I wrote would be good. Mention what they are doing and also don't forget to mention that they are not admitting what they are doing. That's just WRONG. My complaint:

Shaw seems to be capping my bittorrent (a p2p application) downloads. Currently I can't get speeds past 3.5kbps (while 50kpbs was the MINIMUM before). I am confidant this problem is not on my end since other users are expirencing the same problem. The WORST part of this whole fiasco is that Shaw is not admitting that they are doing it. Please do something about this matter. Thank you.

StealthGod

@159.153.x.x
reply to will2k
I filed my complaint with the CCRT... hope it helps.

StealthGod

@159.153.x.x
reply to will2k
Err... CRTC.

dopeboy4

Burnaby, BC
reply to will2k
guys I've just did wut Kev322 told me to do and i hope everyone who is suffering from shaw would do the same. i feel like I've been scammed by shaw i just upgrade my account like last month to and extra 20 gig and now this .
calling shaw will be no use coz like everybody here did they deny everything so wuts the point. but i guess maybe making a complaint isn't so bad hahaha
my complaint was:

hi i'm making a complaint against shaw internet high speed i was told i was over the bandwidth limit last month and i listen to them and they offered me a deal add extra 10 dollar to get extra bandwidth after i purchased it little did i know they have been throttling with my internet speed especially to p2p program i feel like I've been scamed by shaw. i'm very disappoint in there service I've also asked about if they have done anything to throttle the p2p speed and they said they do not block or filter internet access via programs or ports. I've also did some research and found out that most shaw customer has called to ask the same problem and shaw denys that they have done anything . Please do something about this matter. Thank you.

eww_to_shaw

@shawcable.net
reply to will2k
i filed a complaint to crtc. i basically said they aren't providing efficient service (crappy speeds regardless of any day in south/easy vancouver) and purposely throttling bandwidth for no reason at all other than to stuff more users. they have been doing it for 2-3 years now. hope it helps unhappy customers.

Kev322

@208.181.x.x
reply to will2k
Can anyone help post on shaw newsgroups about this? I bet other shaw users from Toronto, Calgary or Edmonton will support us, knowing it could be installed on their network too!

coolsmith

join:2003-02-11
Richmond, BC
reply to KitsAffected
I have to agree with you guys, I live in Richmond and I'm hooked up with SHAW Extreme, used to get great speed in mid Oct. but now it's slow as molasses downloading Bt's, actual inter-net speed is the same. I too think SHAW is up to something , but how their doing this is the big question !

jordanlol

join:2004-11-01
just wondering does this slow down only affect home residents or all includeing business,i did all my complained to shaw and hope more people will called in , i think that must have a recorded about me by now cause i called like every 3 days and my connection will be over in nov 16 , i have got a line from telus for 2 weeks now and so far so good bt speed always at 160 kbs thou but you can still surf the net smoothly at that speed is a plus.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
reply to Shaze0
said by Shaze0:

I've registered my complaints with the CRTC, I advise everyone who's pissed to do the same.
Ahem, filing a complaint with the CRTC is pointless. They don't REGULATE INTERNET SERVICES. You guy(s) really need to research your facts before you start filing complaints with the wrong people. It's just annoying the CRTC, they can do NOTHING about it and it just makes you seem uneducated.

The only ways you can complain about what Shaw is doing is to complain with your feet (SWITCH TO ANOTHER ISP?), or you can phone them and complain about it. Loudly.

Manatrite
Shattered Reflection

join:2003-03-02
Canada
I thought CRTC do not regulate internet fees. This isn't about money, it's service.

AnimeEd9

join:2003-02-20
Vancouver, BC
reply to will2k
to those who said Telus might be next to do this
i think you are wrong because the biggest reason Shaw is doing this is because they have congested nodes, Telus doesn't have to worry about nodes
we'll only have to worry about this if we see a drop in Telus speed (meaning their big pipes are clogged up)

Thingamajig
Premium
join:2004-11-03
B.C.
reply to will2k
IMO- this is a bait and switch. The bait...advertise unlimited Internet. The switch...throttle some segments witout justification or notification. This is deceptive marketing practices!!!

Here are some avenues to complain to...

- Federal Competition Bureau - »strategis.ic.gc.ca/SSG/ct02107e.html

-CABLE TELEVISION STANDARDS COUNCIL at »www.ctsc.ca

-Better Buisness Bureau »www.canadiancouncilbbb.ca

-CBC's Marketplace »www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/

-CRTC Client Services directorate - »info@crtc.gc.ca.
You may be able to receive faster service by calling our toll-free number 1-877-249-2782

-Consumers who suspect they have been the victim of deceptive marketing practices or who want information on the application of the Competition Act should contact the Bureau's Information Centre at 1-800-348-5358, or visit our Web site at »www.cb-bc.gc.ca.

-Olsen on your side at »www.bcctv.ca/emailform.jsp?email···n@ctv.ca

- CONTACT YOUR LOCAL MP - Send an e-mail, letter or place a call to your local MP. Follow this link to get the coordinates for your local MP. (Shaw is a federally regulated company)
»www.parl.gc.ca/information/about···ource=sm

Be rational, polite and don't use any profanity in any dealings with these people and perhaps something good can come of this. Don't follow this advise and everyone will tune you out and this issue will die and we the consumers will get shafted again by Shaw.:)

shawsux2

Surrey, BC
reply to will2k
just wana clear some stuff up when you call shaw DONT SAY YOUR D/L SPEED IS SLOW cuz its not its really your UPSTREAM..when you dont upload on bittorent you dont download ok? so its not a download problem but a upload problem!

xsmirage

join:2004-10-16
West Vancouver, BC
reply to will2k
What I wrote to the CRTC (I Don't care if they control Shaw or not, I felt like letting off some steam):

Shaw Internet Service is unlawfully limiting Bit-Torrent Download/Upload bandwidth. Thay've done this without any warning, nor explanation. As a Shaw customer I am subscribed to recieve "UNLIMITED" access, as such they are in breach of this contract yet fail to rectify the issue.

======================================

Hey about 10 pages ago I suggested a demonstration. Who wants to come down to shaw HQ in Vancouver, and demand to see a rep?

I'm 100% serious - so please post back.

neuge
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to will2k
I actually was thinking of writing to Olsen on Your Side a couple of days ago when I had problems, however the inconsistency of the issue with me makes me a poor case for them to investigate. However, I would really recommend someone who consistently suffers due to this issue write to them [and other appropriate avenues of complaint/awareness] and explain it in full detail, rationally and with good punctuation/grammar, as Thingamajig suggested.

shawsux2

Surrey, BC
reply to will2k
just wrote a message to the CRTC.....i hope this actually does something too. Im still pissed and mad about shaw i mean dont they know that over half of their customers probably use BITORRENT? Did they think they coould do this and no one notice?

geiss8

join:2004-11-04
Burnaby, BC
reply to will2k
In case anyone is interested, I switched to 1.5M DSL from Primus. Basically the same as telus without 1 year contract.

would need 60 days cancellation notice though.

sigh..I will miss shaw's 120k upload...

crepes

join:2004-08-07
Vancouver, BC

1 edit
I've noticed my direct connect transfers are now throttled.

nfx
The Wire
Premium
join:2001-05-21
Vancouver, BC
kudos:1
uploads or downloads?
--
nfx

crepes

Vancouver, BC
Uploads for both, which is quite bad, since they're both upload oriented apps.

I haven't tried uploading on irc yet, but I don't think dcc connections are affected. Neither is ftp.

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
kudos:1
reply to geiss8
said by geiss8:

sigh..I will miss shaw's 120k upload...
120K?!!?!?

I'm lucky to get 50K ... during off peak times. I've done various tests and seen it go down to sub-10KB/s (note "bytes") during the evenings and afternoons. (I notice it as the latency of my connection increases).

MajinHurricane

@shawcable.net
I'm Getting 3 kb down and 0 kb up.

And it usually just goes back to 0.

God this hurts.

crepes

Vancouver, BC
reply to tlhIngan
120k is with extreme-I... it was a good three months lol.

Corel

@24.86.x.x
reply to will2k
Great job Shaw! Way to lose a few hundred thousand customers..

I'll give it a few more weeks to see how Shaw handles this then I'll decide who to go with.