Premium Member
join:2000-09-01
the world

DeeC

Premium Member

WG111 USB 2.0 ...with WPA-PSK?

Software only allows WEP .....

So,either I find a way to get the Netgear adapter to work with WPA-PSK,

or get third party software to get the Dell Wireless to work with WEP passphrase?

any suggestions?

Does the new Netgear software for the WG111 USB 2.0 Adapter support WPA-PSK?

DrTCP
Yours truly

join:1999-11-09
Round Rock, TX

DrTCP

What OS? Under Windows XP you should be able to use WZC if the driver is WPA capable (even if the GUI tools of the card does not allow WPA/WPA-PSK configutation).

If the driver is WPA capable than a 3rd party supplicant such as Aegis or Odyssey should work for you as well (for Windows 2000 etc)

DeeC
Premium Member
the world

DeeC

Premium Member

...according to the Netgear site (when I looked at it), WG111 isn't supported at all by any O/S for WPA-SPK .... this is not the WG511, but the USB Adapter (WG111), which didn't show up in the table (at all)...unless it has changed recently..

DrTCP
Yours truly

Round Rock, TX

DrTCP

According to this page WG111 using Windows driver version 1.0.8.4 worked with WPA under NDISWrapper on Linux.

»ndiswrapper.sourceforge. ··· php/List

NDISWrapper is a project that makes the wireless drivers believe they are working under Windows while they are actually executed under Linux. So, if the driver could provide WPA support under Linux, it is capable of providing WPA support under Windows as well (since it is a native Windows driver to begin with)

On this page I've also found mention of WPA for WG111v2

»www.sysopt.com/forum/sho ··· d=172763

Did you try this driver? It is released Oct 5 and WHQL'ed for Windows XP and driver most likely to support WPA but GUI for Windows 2000 might not be there. You just have to use Aegis/Odessey if it does not have supplicant support.

»kbserver.netgear.com/sup ··· ldID=843

DeeC
Premium Member
the world

DeeC

Premium Member

The WG111 is on a Win 2K Pro machine.....and the entire issue is moot, has been moot (as I mentioned in a few threads now), since I am using WEP with everything..... WPA-PSK is not worth the config/compatibility headaches...

DrTCP
Yours truly

Round Rock, TX

DrTCP

said by DeeC:

The WG111 is on a Win 2K Pro machine.....and the entire issue is moot, has been moot (as I mentioned in a few threads now), since I am using WEP with everything..... WPA-PSK is not worth the config/compatibility headaches...
It looks like version 2.1 driver does have WPA support. Is security worth anything? With WEP consider that you are in great risk. After all WPA/WPA-PSK is designed to solve security issues inherent in WEP.

WEP should be banished from all/any wireless network and vendors that sell products nowadays without proper WPA/WPA-PSK support should be subjected to tar and feathers!

DeeC
Premium Member
the world

DeeC

Premium Member

said by DrTCP:
said by DeeC:

It looks like version 2.1 driver does have WPA support. Is security worth anything? With WEP consider that you are in great risk. After all WPA/WPA-PSK is designed to solve security issues inherent in WEP.

WEP should be banished from all/any wireless network and vendors that sell products nowadays without proper WPA/WPA-PSK support should be subjected to tar and feathers!
If WEP was considered this "GREAT" security hazard, I"m sure hardware (today) would not support it, and would only come with WPA or WPA-PSK, but apparently hardware/software manufacturers do not agree with you -----

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to DeeC

MVM

to DeeC
said by:DeeC See Profile
Does the new Netgear software for the WG111 USB 2.0 Adapter support WPA-PSK?

Yes the WG111v2 does provide support for WPA-PSK. I have been using the WG111v2 with WPA-PSK for the past month connecting to the WGT624v2 wireless router and it works very nicely. The WG111 also provides supports for AES.

If you need the latest software release for the WG111v2 the following link provides it: »kbserver.netgear.com/rel ··· 2534.asp

FYI the WG111 got it WiFi certificate August 20, 2004 -- the Certification ID: W002740

DeeC
Premium Member
the world

DeeC

Premium Member

how do you determine if you WG111 is v2 or not?

DrTCP
Yours truly

Round Rock, TX

DrTCP to DeeC

to DeeC
said by DeeC:

If WEP was considered this "GREAT" security hazard, I"m sure hardware (today) would not support it, and would only come with WPA or WPA-PSK, but apparently hardware/software manufacturers do not agree with you -----
Manufacturers all wished that public did not find out insecurities of WEP so they would not have to rework drivers, provide complex security software etc. Googgle regarding insecurities of WEP and you will find tons of documentation, scientific papers and all. You will find ready to use tools to break keys etc. It is not me claiming that it is insecure but all the scientific evidence speaks for itself. That is why Wi-Fi rushed to WPA before 802.11i specification was finalized. They would have waited if there were no urgency.

WEP is now there only for historical reasons and backwards compatibility just like Windows XP still has support for ISA busses. US governent retired DES recently but expect all sort of IPSEC equipment still provide DES support. Should you use it? Not if you can do 3DES or better AES.

No vendor will remove it as removing it would hinder some potential business just like not providing WPA/WPA2 will do going forward.

One step up from static WEP is dynamic WEP with 802.1x using a good EAP protocol (PEAP, TLS, TTLS). Then you move on to WPA-PSK (TKIP or AES) and fully WPA if you are really serious about it.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to DeeC

MVM

to DeeC
said by: aliasrtz
how do you determine if you WG111 is v2 or not?
On one of the edges of the WG111 you will see a strip with identifying text and there you will find which version you have.

DrTCP See Profile excellent and valid remarks you've provided and hopefully aliasrtz will appreciate same.

DeeC
Premium Member
the world

DeeC to DrTCP

Premium Member

to DrTCP
see my other thread for the response to this WEP vs. WPA-PSK debate, which was not a part of any of my original question in any thread...

»wpa-psk
Expand your moderator at work