spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Airplane777

join:2004-06-20

Continuous ping command ?

Is there a command that will put out continuous pings, so I won't have to keep typing the ping command myself manually for pinging an access point?

Thanks

powerhog
Stinkin' up the joint
Premium
join:2000-12-14
Owasso, OK

What OS are you using?

In an XP command shell, you can run "ping -t"

In many *nix flavors, just "ping" will run until stopped.
--
Agristar 200/DW6000/G4R-1250H/99W/XP Pro on 3 systems (behind a router).

Airplane777

1 edit

Hello:

Thank you for your reply.

I'm using XP.

Don't I have to put the IP address in, regarding the ping commands you mentioned?

I need to continuously ping a new AP I got to do a site survey.

I bought a new AP and it isn't compatible with my old Orinoco Gold Classic card. My Gold Classic card works great for site survey work when I'm using the Engenius APs. Those APs have the chip set in them that lets my Gold card give much infor for a site survey.

The Value point AP looks like a great AP, but my only problem is I can't do a site survey with it since the Value point chip set won't work with my Orinoco Gold Classic card. I can only see received signal strength and just do manual pings to at least see if I have a two way contact.

I figure if I can at least do a continuous ping, I won't have to keep typing in the ping command.

Thank you much

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3

Of course you need to put in the IP address.

PFH
Bully For You

join:2003-06-26
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Airplane777

Genuinely-cool utility: PingPlotter. The registered version (of which you can get a 30-day trial) lets you plot your ping times (and/or outages) on a time graph. Letting PingPlotter run for several days and keeping the graph data is a good tool to have if you're arguing with your ISP or hardware mfgr about performance.

Even their freeware version will handle your continuous pings.

»www.pingplotter.com

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
reply to Airplane777

ping -t dslreports.com

ctrl-break will show statistics
ctrl-c will end command

Airplane777

Thanks to all.

I apologize for being "network challanged"...lol.

Thank you too jaa. From what you show there, I guess I could put the IP address after the -t or a web address?

I like the continuous ping feature, since it will let me know I have two way contact with an AP when doing site surveys.

Airplane777

reply to PFH

Hi PFH:

I'll check out that ping plotter.

I'll let our networking guys know about this. They might have need of it sometime.

Thanks,

Airplane777

reply to jaa

Wow.

I just did it to dslreports. Really cool.

Thnks to you all for helping me here.

Thats exactly what I need for a two way check when doing site surveys.

I normally use my Orinoco Gold card to do site surveys with APs with Prism chip sets. But I got an AP yesterday that I want to use in a hotel, but my Gold card won't do the site survey functions since it doesn't have a Prism chip set in it. So the continuous pinging is the next best thing. Although I can measure the received signal strength and signal to noise ratio.

thanks much.

Airplane777

reply to jaa

I got the continuous ping working with my AP. Wow. Really neat.

At least now I can continuously see if I have two way communication with the AP. I can also see the signal strength. That should work ok until I can find a PC card that is compatible with the AP chip set.

Seems that Prism chip sets (by Intersil) are pretty good chip sets. I wonder why other AP manufacturers use other chip sets. Especially when it causes us to not be able to use the Orinoco Gold card site survey software.

Airplane777

1 edit
reply to jaa

I was going to type something and decided not to. And now I don't know how to delete this.