spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FightingBlue

@direcpc.com

Frontier, DSL, and remote terminals

There doesn't seem to be a 'General DSL' forum, and the Frontier-specific forum is woefully undertrafficked, so I decided to post this here. I recently learned that my redneck hick town is getting DSL from Frontier. I live about 38,000 wire-feet from the CO, so my chances there are nil. However, I understand that there are new techs available that let the DSL distance limit start at a remote terminal/digital loop carrier. One: does anyone know how I'd find out where one of these is? Two: how likely is it that a new DSL setup would extend service to the RTs/DLCs in the relatively near future?

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:41
Is Frontier an ILEC or CLEC? I don't know of any CLECs providing DSL from RT's. Your best option is to just call and see if you qualify.

S k i p p y
La de frickin da
Premium
join:2003-10-03
Lurking
kudos:1
reply to FightingBlue
Where do you live? I had Frontier in this little berg I live in. I was a ways from the CO but still got 1Mbs down.
--
"There's someone on the wing............SOMETHING!"

FightingBlue

@direcpc.com
Frontier's an ILEC. They're the local telcom for my area of western New York state. Wyoming County, if it helps.

tdkyo

join:2002-12-07
Rochester, NY
reply to FightingBlue
I have no answers to your question, but it doesn't hurt to ask Frontier for your situation.:)

Haven't seen a lot of Frontier users here. Oh well, us in Rochester NY get the 3Mb deal!

FightingBlue

@direcpc.com
Yeah, I keep meaning to call Frontier and interrogate them, but given my opinion of customer service's credibility, I just haven't made the time. I'm contemplating calling the local CO directly and asking the guys on the ground.

"Oh well, us in Rochester NY get the 3Mb deal!"

Grr! (throws rocks at tdkyo)

Randell17

join:2004-05-15
Ranger, GA
I have frontier in fairmount and I have what they refer to as DSL MAX...... lol.... yeah right, MAX is 1 meg down and 128 up...... they are freaking stupid..... we around here deserve at least 2 or 3 meg down with a 384 up i mean good god we pay $40 bucks a month... I mean geez...

tdkyo

Rochester, NY
I hate to be hit by a rock again, but we pay $40 for 3000/382 deal in Rochester NY....

S k i p p y
La de frickin da
Premium
join:2003-10-03
Lurking
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to Randell17
said by Randell17:

I have frontier in fairmount and I have what they refer to as DSL MAX...... lol.... yeah right, MAX is 1 meg down and 128 up...... they are freaking stupid..... we around here deserve at least 2 or 3 meg down with a 384 up i mean good god we pay $40 bucks a month... I mean geez...
Yep, I was paying $45.99 a month and getting 1000/128. I felt your pain, and Frontier couldn't tell me if it would ever get better, so I got cable. $49.99 for 3000/300. Frontier's service was more reliable though, I'll give them that.
--
"There's someone on the wing............SOMETHING!"

Irun Man
Premium
join:2002-10-18
Walden, NY
reply to FightingBlue

Frontier needs a reality check

When I moved to Frontier territory in Orange County, New York a year ago I signed up for Frontier DSL Max. I was paying $35 a month (before taxes and fees) for 1000/128 and it was reliable. Why they won't roll out 3MB outside of Rochester is beyond me because Earthlink Cable 5000/384 is $41.95, no taxes.

I dropped Frontier (POTS and DSL) and got EL with Vonage; it costs me MUCH less this way, every month

tdkyo

Rochester, NY
It seems that Frontier's service lacks its "prime" quality outside Rochester.:(

Randell17

join:2004-05-15
Ranger, GA
reply to tdkyo

Re: Frontier, DSL, and remote terminals

Oh, don't worry I already deplenished my supply of rocks because I found that out right after I got my DSL and called Frontier's "EXECUTIVE" office repeatedly and never got anywhere, so eventually I ran out of "rocks".......

CLM1949

join:2005-02-23
Bloomfield, NY
reply to Irun Man

Re: Frontier needs a reality check

Ahh... but when the power goes out.. no EL or phone... What is the advantage of that?